GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Graphics cards"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 01/11/05 at 22:21
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Hi everyone !!! I want to upgrade my existing graphics card but i do not know what to buy, so i need your help. I have a motherboard that supports agp4x only (1.5v). My current one is creative chipset by nVIDIA gforce4 Ti 4200 64MB. I was thinking of buying the Radeon 9600xt 256MB but although it has good reviews when compared with the mx4xxx series i came across a couple of reviews comparing it with my Ti 4200 and it was mentioned that there is not an actual difference.
So what do you think about it? Do u have a better suggestion? Pls keep in mind that I do not want to go for the beasts (ie X800 or the 6-7 series of nVIDIA for financial reasons mainly).

Thanks a lot in advance !!!!
Tue 08/11/05 at 15:47
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
ThorBadin wrote:
>
>
> The PSU I was referring to was not a no-name, it was a Q-tec. Now,
> I have to admit that i do not know a lot about psus so i dont know
> how reliable this make is. Plus all PSUs state ATX compliance which
> is another box of mysteries for me. My current PSU states that is a
> ATX switching power supply at 300W. It, also, says Pentium IV and PFC
> model 300PP version 2.03. Now, from that i cannot clearly deduce what
> is the ATX version of it and subsequently of my case and motherboard
> (unless it is the 2.03). Will a new PSU ATX version x work with my
> mobo and fit my case? My pc is 3 years old.

Ok... Q-Tec is a name that is famous, but for being absolutely rubbish, (Being the Ex owner of a so called 500W PSU, which was easily outperformed by my Antec 380W PSU):
Q-Tec:

Unstable voltages = Many unnecessary crashes + risk of frying your mothermoard from electrical spiking.

Nasty and cheap = It may be a cheap PSU but thats because whatever you save on the PSU you will spend replacing perfectly fine components in a futile attempt to stop the incessant crashes caused by the unstable vlotages.

Nasty and cheap (II) = You will spend much more on a new motherboard and / or CPU when it fries that MOBO.

Conclusion:

Go for another (more expensive) brand such as Antec, Jeantech, maybe Akasa always run a google search for reviews associated with the PSU that you finally settle on...
Mon 07/11/05 at 21:07
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Tomm wrote:
> You could always invest in a new PSU and GFX card, then when you come
> to buy a new comp in a couple of years, you'll have a reasonable gfx
> card and psu to use. Oh and please, dont buy a £15 500W power
> supply. You're just asking for trouble. Also my 350W works perfectly
> fine with my 6800, and its got loads of things plugged in...

The PSU I was referring to was not a no-name, it was a Q-tec. Now, I have to admit that i do not know a lot about psus so i dont know how reliable this make is. Plus all PSUs state ATX compliance which is another box of mysteries for me. My current PSU states that is a ATX switching power supply at 300W. It, also, says Pentium IV and PFC model 300PP version 2.03. Now, from that i cannot clearly deduce what is the ATX version of it and subsequently of my case and motherboard (unless it is the 2.03). Will a new PSU ATX version x work with my mobo and fit my case? My pc is 3 years old.
Mon 07/11/05 at 13:23
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Memorandum! wrote:
> 6800LE for £80 is your best bet.

Without a doubt, this is the card to go for. Chances are it will unlock to a full 6800, but even if it doesn't it is still great value.
Fri 04/11/05 at 19:56
Regular
"Bicycle"
PSU to buy: Tagan TG480-U01 480W, and only £59 inc vat. Pretty damn good, in my opinion.
Fri 04/11/05 at 19:43
Regular
"the burning sky"
You could always invest in a new PSU and GFX card, then when you come to buy a new comp in a couple of years, you'll have a reasonable gfx card and psu to use. Oh and please, dont buy a £15 500W power supply. You're just asking for trouble. Also my 350W works perfectly fine with my 6800, and its got loads of things plugged in...
Fri 04/11/05 at 19:08
Regular
"Have a nice day !"
Tomm wrote:
> Memorandum! wrote:
> 6800LE for £80 is your best bet.
>
> But remember 6800's need their own power connectors, so you need to
> check if you have one spare...

That's very true!!! I did a bit of research and found out that it needs 20amp under the 12v rail, my psu gives only 15amp, so not going to work unless i spend another 15£ to buy a proper 500w psu rising the total to around 95-100 or more, which i am not really willing to spend. I think i ll stay with my gforce4 Ti 4200 for the time being and just buy a new pc in 1 and 1/2 years !
But thanx to all of you who replied!!!!!!
Thu 03/11/05 at 21:30
Regular
"Bicycle"
OCuk
Thu 03/11/05 at 17:10
Regular
Where could i get one?
Thu 03/11/05 at 17:05
Regular
6800LE for £80 is your best bet.
Thu 03/11/05 at 16:50
Regular
Since we are on the topic of graphics cards. I want to get a new one since this one doesn't seem to play the major games properly ie: GTA San Andreas and Brothers in arms. What's the best one I could get for £70-£80?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.