GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Help me build my PC!"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/09/02 at 19:24
Regular
I've decided it's time to get me a new PC, but rather than buying one, I've decided I want to build one. It's not going to be an internet one, more for gaming, but I don't want a ridiculously fast or amazing PC. My budget is only £300 but that doesn't include the graphics card, which I'll get later. The problem is, I don't know what components to get, since I've never done it before. Basically, this is what I want:

AMD Athlon 1800+ or higher
256 MB ram or higher
20GB HD or higher
On-board sound is fine
I don't need any extra peripherals, just the actual system itself, and software isn't needed either.
CD-R drive

So if anybody knows anything in the way of what I should get, what's compatible with what etc., it'd be a very big help.
Wed 25/09/02 at 10:33
Regular
"Win Suxs,Linux Rulz"
goto www.computerobbit.com they have fairly cheap prices
Wed 25/09/02 at 09:33
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Tell me of such places.. I have yet to find them.
Tue 24/09/02 at 18:19
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Nah, you can get it for cheaper from a number of places. Otherwise, why would people bother with RAM from anywhere else? FOOL!

:-D
Tue 24/09/02 at 10:05
Regular
"Acid Casual"
Turbonutter wrote:

> Yes, but you bought yours from a computer fair, Crucial RAM is *the
> best* RAM youc an buy.

And the cheapest new RAM there is.
Mon 23/09/02 at 09:41
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
You'd be better off with a bigger drive, I got an IBM one for £45, I think even the cheapest 20Gb drives are only £10 less, it's a great hdd too!!

nice spec PC though, although i'm finding even my 384Mb of ram isn' enough for this PC, althogh i'mnot sure what you'd be using 256Mb for...
Mon 23/09/02 at 08:04
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Tóm wrote:
> Heh. So have memory prices gone back up again? Just about three weeks
> ago, I bought two sticks of 256mb (totalling 512mb) for £20
> each. Bargain. They both worked too, from a computer fair.

Yes, but you bought yours from a computer fair, Crucial RAM is *the best* RAM youc an buy.
Mon 23/09/02 at 02:07
Regular
"gametag = viperfire"
Memory is going up, it’s gone up by 40% in 2 weeks.
Sun 22/09/02 at 22:39
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Heh. So have memory prices gone back up again? Just about three weeks ago, I bought two sticks of 256mb (totalling 512mb) for £20 each. Bargain. They both worked too, from a computer fair.
Sun 22/09/02 at 22:01
Regular
First of all mate what are you upgrading from, As you may need a new case and keyboard/mouse.

I would price you up something but i would use the same site as Lord H,
You could buy a bundle from another site

Abit KX7-333/AMD Athlon XP 1700+/Akasa AK-821 2Q HSF - Bundle

£140.30

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 8 30GB

£57.58

LiteON LTR-48125W 48x/12x/48x CD-RW

£50.29

Crucial 256MB PC133 CAS-2

£35.25

Creative Labs Soundblaster PCI128

£17.63

Total £301.05

All that stuff is top quality stuff including a pretty good Heatsink and fan for the XP1700 and if you wanna overclock a bit then this kit would be perfect, the Cas latency 2 ram is great ram with good performance, if you want to know were to buy it from then post and i will tell you.

c.b.
Sun 22/09/02 at 21:03
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
You need cables as well, and don't forget XPs run very warm, if the stock sink won't do it you'll need to buy a bigger one. You also need case fans, as that heatsink will definitely not work without case circulation.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.