GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Driving Sims"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/11/00 at 16:43
Regular
Driving sims.... Gran Turismo, Metropolis street racer, F355, ridge racer spring to mind.
But why, why are they so popular?? I’m going to tell you. A lot of people in the forums are talking about games becoming more realistic and involving. I think driving sims are as close as we get to that. Okay, some shoot em ups are realistic, but on a
small scale because most people don’t know what it’s like to be a spy. But a vast majority of people know how to DRIVE. They know what it feels like to be in the driving seat. But not of a Ferrari. This is why these games are so popular. People know the experience of driving, but really want to drive a Ferrari. Not many people
want to go through woods, armed only with sword and shield, to fight fantastical beings. Neither do many people want to be a special operations team member, running blindly into a room to get shot repeatedly by an M16. They want to do these things in
a game, yes, but not in real life. With a driver however, people want to do it in real life, know they can’t, so do it in a game instead. With the advancement of graphics and sound, it’s becoming more realistic, and more appealing to people. The other
aspect is of course, young people. They cannot yet drive but want to, and can do it in a game. True, they are not MY favourite games, but many people find them favourable. I hope that in the future(before I learn to drive, I hope) the advancement of
games let’s me REALLY think I’m in that driving seat. Or maybe, in the developing of thesegames, I’ll become rich and will own a Ferrari. That remains to be decided, but right now I’m going to buy a DreamCast with Metropolis Street Racer. Bye.
Sun 26/11/00 at 21:56
Regular
That was racing wheel (correction made)
Sun 26/11/00 at 21:56
Regular
Do you expect to be that real?
Yeah with a racing real, you get the real feeling of driving a car for real, but racing games don't need to be too realistic, to be good.
MSR is not real but being in a fast paced car, racing through London can't be missed. Some cars are just made up though, a bit like the Ridge Racer cars, but something like Formula Sims are not very realistic.
You don't have that tense, adrenaline that pushes you into the game.

But the Ridge Racer games, are fast and full of skidding it makes it fun enough and addictive.
What? Do you expect to drive Ferrari's round London, or New York at 150 mph without driving into the Millenium dome or something?
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:58
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
of course it isn't real! holding a light gun and pointing it at the screen isn't anything like a real gun, they weigh about 100 times more! the characters fly backwards when you shoot them, and they don't even gets holes, just blood stains! driving sims are more realistic, the arcade versions anyway, you sit in a car and have full rumble systems, of course you don't have the wind blowing your hair and traffic lights, but if you take a driving test you get to see that.
you can't compare the two as they are so different.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:51
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Not on a road or racing circuit!! #:~)
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:49
But it really isn't like the real thing just using a couple of buttons and a ruble pack isn't like pressing the accelerator and crashing. maybe with a rumle steering wheel it would b a little better, but the games are built for fun and to waste time, not so you think, ooooo this is like driving, the games are more fun then driving normally, young ppl can go to there local car drome and drive a car at whatever age they want
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:43
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Driving sims.... Gran Turismo, Metropolis street racer, F355, ridge racer spring to mind.
But why, why are they so popular?? I’m going to tell you. A lot of people in the forums are talking about games becoming more realistic and involving. I think driving sims are as close as we get to that. Okay, some shoot em ups are realistic, but on a
small scale because most people don’t know what it’s like to be a spy. But a vast majority of people know how to DRIVE. They know what it feels like to be in the driving seat. But not of a Ferrari. This is why these games are so popular. People know the experience of driving, but really want to drive a Ferrari. Not many people
want to go through woods, armed only with sword and shield, to fight fantastical beings. Neither do many people want to be a special operations team member, running blindly into a room to get shot repeatedly by an M16. They want to do these things in
a game, yes, but not in real life. With a driver however, people want to do it in real life, know they can’t, so do it in a game instead. With the advancement of graphics and sound, it’s becoming more realistic, and more appealing to people. The other
aspect is of course, young people. They cannot yet drive but want to, and can do it in a game. True, they are not MY favourite games, but many people find them favourable. I hope that in the future(before I learn to drive, I hope) the advancement of
games let’s me REALLY think I’m in that driving seat. Or maybe, in the developing of thesegames, I’ll become rich and will own a Ferrari. That remains to be decided, but right now I’m going to buy a DreamCast with Metropolis Street Racer. Bye.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.