GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Xbox Live"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/09/02 at 11:46
Regular

Xbox Live: The Features

Over the next couple of months, we'll be taking a closer look at what makes the Xbox Live service so phenomenal. We know many of you have been waiting eagerly for the promise of online console gaming to be fulfilled, and this fall, it will be. We also think you may be tired of hearing dueling press releases and hype. So we're going to take you inside the Xbox Live team and the hard work that has gone into making the service a reality. Why would you want to take time to read these articles? We're glad you asked. Here's what playing on Xbox Live will mean to you.

It's already there.

First off, you don't need to upgrade your Xbox game system. You don't need to convince your friends to upgrade their consoles, either. The Xbox console was built from the ground up to be an online gaming system. There's a hard drive and Ethernet port built in—another example of how we packed our console with gaming goodness. Sure, it cost us extra to put them in. But check out what we're doing with it!

What's my name?

Sign up just once and access Xbox Live games with your unique name, or Gamertag. You don't have to start over with each new game you buy. You don't have to adjust to a different online experience with each game you play. You always join the online community with the same name and the same reputation you've worked hard to get. You'll start recognizing other players and making new friends. Learn from each other and you may even start climbing the rankings together.

Taunting is more fun with a recipient.

How do you know you're playing a real person? Listen for the taunts of victory and groans of defeat. The Xbox Live Communicator headset allows you to use your voice like never before. The headset allows for games to do really amazing things, like changing the sound of your voice. Want to intimidate your opponents with a deep, threatening voice? Always wish you could sound like a robot? It's easy to do. Did your parents tell you not to talk to strangers? Chat only with your friends while you play. Shout out strategic commands to your teammates—it's way faster than trying to type them. (Do try to mute yourself before muttering about their incompetence.) If your game character is in a cave, your voice could echo off the walls. Catch up with old friends while you play. Who knew chatting with distant relatives could be this fun?

Socialize to survive.

Xbox Live allows you to add other gamers to your Friends List. Enjoy competing with a particular player? Invite them to be your friend with a couple of button presses from the pause menu. It's also easy to see if your friends are online and even what game they're playing. If they're already in a game, you can send them an invitation to join you. Of course, you can always delete your friends from the list if they're not what you expected. No worries, though—you're going to make so many new friends when you go to Xbox Live that your old friends better behave themselves.

Looking for a match? Go, go, go!

Playing an Xbox Live game with friends is fast. Just choose an Xbox game that is online-enabled. Start the game and select Play Live. Sign in and have Xbox Live matchmaking find your favorite style of gameplay. It may seem like luck the first time you find a perfect game match. Don't be fooled—it's the result of our skilled team sweating the details, all for you. (More on our skilled team in the coming weeks.)

Want the first available game so you can play right away?
We've got that.

Want to look for a specific map or game type?
Check!

Don't like laggy, choppy gaming?
We sort out the slowpokes for you.

Feel like teaming up with friends and ambushing an unsuspecting group of strangers?
No problem.

Looking for opponents who are your skill level?
Of course.

Whatever you choose, Xbox Live takes care of the set-up so you can save your energy for the important stuff—having fun, winning games, and talking trash!

There's always something new.

Have you ever beaten a game that you really liked and gotten tired of it soon afterwards? Did you obtain every last item and finish every last quest? You may have gotten used to waiting a few years for the sequel to come out. Well, Xbox Live may ease some of that pain. With the ability to download new content from our servers, games may never get old. Imagine new cars, drivers, and race courses for your racing game. Maybe that first person shooter could use a new weapon, character skin, or capture-the-flag map. Role playing games could continually get new spells, equipment, or quests. Almost anything's possible. It's sort of like getting an expansion pack, but you choose only what you want. Why only get cool gifts on your birthday?

Insomnia?

With Xbox Live, you can enjoy multiplayer action with people everywhere. Thanks to the wonders of time zones, you always have a good chance of finding someone awake and ready to play. We knew there was a good reason for the earth being round.

Stay tuned for the first feature article with all the gritty details. We'll be covering all the cool things you can do with the Xbox Communicator and voice…Don't miss it.
Sun 22/09/02 at 11:46
Regular
"Keep Cool!!!"

Xbox Live: The Features

Over the next couple of months, we'll be taking a closer look at what makes the Xbox Live service so phenomenal. We know many of you have been waiting eagerly for the promise of online console gaming to be fulfilled, and this fall, it will be. We also think you may be tired of hearing dueling press releases and hype. So we're going to take you inside the Xbox Live team and the hard work that has gone into making the service a reality. Why would you want to take time to read these articles? We're glad you asked. Here's what playing on Xbox Live will mean to you.

It's already there.

First off, you don't need to upgrade your Xbox game system. You don't need to convince your friends to upgrade their consoles, either. The Xbox console was built from the ground up to be an online gaming system. There's a hard drive and Ethernet port built in—another example of how we packed our console with gaming goodness. Sure, it cost us extra to put them in. But check out what we're doing with it!

What's my name?

Sign up just once and access Xbox Live games with your unique name, or Gamertag. You don't have to start over with each new game you buy. You don't have to adjust to a different online experience with each game you play. You always join the online community with the same name and the same reputation you've worked hard to get. You'll start recognizing other players and making new friends. Learn from each other and you may even start climbing the rankings together.

Taunting is more fun with a recipient.

How do you know you're playing a real person? Listen for the taunts of victory and groans of defeat. The Xbox Live Communicator headset allows you to use your voice like never before. The headset allows for games to do really amazing things, like changing the sound of your voice. Want to intimidate your opponents with a deep, threatening voice? Always wish you could sound like a robot? It's easy to do. Did your parents tell you not to talk to strangers? Chat only with your friends while you play. Shout out strategic commands to your teammates—it's way faster than trying to type them. (Do try to mute yourself before muttering about their incompetence.) If your game character is in a cave, your voice could echo off the walls. Catch up with old friends while you play. Who knew chatting with distant relatives could be this fun?

Socialize to survive.

Xbox Live allows you to add other gamers to your Friends List. Enjoy competing with a particular player? Invite them to be your friend with a couple of button presses from the pause menu. It's also easy to see if your friends are online and even what game they're playing. If they're already in a game, you can send them an invitation to join you. Of course, you can always delete your friends from the list if they're not what you expected. No worries, though—you're going to make so many new friends when you go to Xbox Live that your old friends better behave themselves.

Looking for a match? Go, go, go!

Playing an Xbox Live game with friends is fast. Just choose an Xbox game that is online-enabled. Start the game and select Play Live. Sign in and have Xbox Live matchmaking find your favorite style of gameplay. It may seem like luck the first time you find a perfect game match. Don't be fooled—it's the result of our skilled team sweating the details, all for you. (More on our skilled team in the coming weeks.)

Want the first available game so you can play right away?
We've got that.

Want to look for a specific map or game type?
Check!

Don't like laggy, choppy gaming?
We sort out the slowpokes for you.

Feel like teaming up with friends and ambushing an unsuspecting group of strangers?
No problem.

Looking for opponents who are your skill level?
Of course.

Whatever you choose, Xbox Live takes care of the set-up so you can save your energy for the important stuff—having fun, winning games, and talking trash!

There's always something new.

Have you ever beaten a game that you really liked and gotten tired of it soon afterwards? Did you obtain every last item and finish every last quest? You may have gotten used to waiting a few years for the sequel to come out. Well, Xbox Live may ease some of that pain. With the ability to download new content from our servers, games may never get old. Imagine new cars, drivers, and race courses for your racing game. Maybe that first person shooter could use a new weapon, character skin, or capture-the-flag map. Role playing games could continually get new spells, equipment, or quests. Almost anything's possible. It's sort of like getting an expansion pack, but you choose only what you want. Why only get cool gifts on your birthday?

Insomnia?

With Xbox Live, you can enjoy multiplayer action with people everywhere. Thanks to the wonders of time zones, you always have a good chance of finding someone awake and ready to play. We knew there was a good reason for the earth being round.

Stay tuned for the first feature article with all the gritty details. We'll be covering all the cool things you can do with the Xbox Communicator and voice…Don't miss it.
Sun 22/09/02 at 12:28
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what most of us on here will be doing over Christmas. ;-))

I'm really looking forward to X-Box Live. The details of the price and date it launches should be available soon. I'll be signed up from day one. :-)
Just like when I bought the console. ;-)
Sun 22/09/02 at 17:21
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Savatt78 wrote:
> Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what most of us on here will be doing over
> Christmas. ;-))
>
> I'm really looking forward to X-Box Live. The details of the price
> and date it launches should be available soon. I'll be signed up from
> day one. :-)
> Just like when I bought the console. ;-)

I wish i could get it at launch but i dont have broadband*starts to cry*.
Sav conflict desewrt storm!!! I brought it, and i dont regret it it is amzing shame you cant play online as a team, could have done with some help, i'm stuck on mission 5.
Sun 22/09/02 at 18:36
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Desert Storm is an excellent game. :-) Keep an eye out for Ghost Recon as its a similar game and will be playable on X-Box Live when you can get it. :-)

Its hard to give decent tips for DS. All I can tell you is to keep your squad together. Don't leave Foley on his own to Snipe from the top of a building without someone below protecting the way leading to him.

Use Conners to guard an entrance way. Sometimes you'll find that enemies are coming from a certain entrance in the area your in. Position Conners where he can mow them down as they run in.

Use Jones and Bradley to go inside a complex as they have a quicker reaction if an Iraqi suddenly jumps out on you. If your using Conners or Foley in this role - make sure you've given them an AK47.

When taking out SCUD transports and mine fields, a grenade or 2 can also do the job instead of C4.

When caught in a firefight, crouch your team or make them hit the dirt to improve their accuracy and make them a harder target to hit.

Don't pack your team too close together as a single blast from a tank will take them all out. Take your time and position everyone carefully so that you have everything under control if enemies start coming at you. Again, remember not to isolate your Sniper. Its all fun picking off enemies, but if an Iraqi comes up from behind, he'll be in trouble, so always position Bradley or Jones nearby where they can assist him.

Hope some of these tips help. :-)
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:27
Regular
Going to see Xbox Live at Stuff Live and i cannot wait!
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:41
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
Same here. ;-) Which day are you going ? I'll be there on the Saturday. :-)
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:44
Regular
Sunday Mate.
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:47
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Where is it?
Sun 22/09/02 at 20:09
Regular
Earls Court London, October 3 - 6th.

I live in Nottingham so i am catching the train at 7:56am!
Sun 22/09/02 at 20:21
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I'll be leaving very early. ;-) Res will be with me along with a couple of my friends.

I'll have to do a little report when I get back. ;-)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.