GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The Losers and Winners"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 22/09/02 at 01:05
Regular
You will never believe how awful this entire Rare situation is, and not for the Nintendo fans, really we don’t NEED them. Nevertheless we want them; Rare was the closest to Nintendo to us. Whilst the Japanese giant sit in their offices in Japan, Rare, the full company, are here in England and were like good friends. Now despite my claims that Rare are unnecessary to Nintendo I did share a “special” connection to Rare. It was because of my addiction to Donkey Kong Country that led me to make the decisive move to request an N64. I got hyped up over the release of Donkey Kong 64 (although it wasn’t the best I wasn’t disappointed), Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Conker’s Bad Fur Day. Throughout my entire N64 life I only got hyped up over two other games, Shadowman and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (I got my N64 just as the first Zelda was released). And although I point out the fact that the large 3rd party support makes Rare redundant I did like them an awful lot. Goldeneye got me hooked; I was truly the master (out of my friends) of the multiplayer and my friend even banned me from playing and when I did it was a race for second place. Ditto with Perfect Dark but my friends were wise to me and didn’t play it nearly as much when I was near. In fact just as I played Rare’s DK Country the day before I got my N64 I was playing Rare’s Perfect Dark the day before I got the Gamecube (funny how you remember these things). Yet it was the extra special Conker’s Bad Fur Day that truly made me have that extra bit of respect, I spent over £50 making a website dedicated to it. So I hate to see them go, and although I don’t even see this as a slight worry to Nintendo’s future it does make me lose a little more faith in gaming. The loss of Rare has created some winners, but even more losers and here I will present my list of Winners and Losers.

Winners:

1: Microsoft

Microsoft needed a few more second or first parties to really make their future release seem a little more than sequels of past games or ports and multi-format games. Rare make some of the greatest and most respected games around with an incredible reputation. Rare also are a major part of why the more hardcore gamers love Nintendo. All of this means that not only do Microsoft manage to bump up their worrying release list with some of the worlds most respected franchises but also get to grab a huge amount of Nintendo fans willing to buy a second console or to leave Nintendo all together. This move will hardly save Microsoft dramatically but it will increase their foothold, the x-box has already been called a doppelganger to the PS2 but with Rare it will increase the Nintendo appeal as well making it really the best of both worlds. It also sticks two fingers up at the rival companies who wish to lay claim as having the console with the best First Person Shooters. Nintendo looked the most promising with Metroid, Die Hard and the best version of Timesplitters 2 but now Microsoft have exclusive rights to both Halo and Perfect Dark it does look like Microsoft have a killer duo of one of the most popular western games.

2: Nintendo

Nintendo really must be laughing at all this; they haven’t damaged their company at all, sales surpassing their own expectations without a sign of Rare. In fact the only Rare game receiving any hype was Starfox and that is still to be released. Nintendo not only sold Rare to Microsoft for a wealthy sum (rumored to be between $350-400 million) but also sold Rare’s own franchises such as Banjo, Perfect Dark and Conker (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Starfox remain with Nintendo, what of Killer Instinct?). With rumors suggesting Nintendo made up to $400 million from it all you wouldn’t be surprised that Nintendo don’t honestly care. Rare would have made them more money this year with the release of Starfox and the sale than Rare have ever done EVER! Whereas once Rare was needed to rescue Nintendo’s dwindling western sales nowadays that isn’t needed. Retro Studio’s and Silicon Knights are both first and second western parties and it looks certain that these two will receive the largest benefits from the Rare sale money wise. These small development houses could well be bigger than Rare come the end of next year, despite being smaller even if you stick them together. Also increased third party support and Rare only accumulating 3.5% of Nintendo profits for the last year and a half meant that Rare were probably just an additional annoyance that was at a risk of making a loss. Camelot, NTSC, Retro Studios, Intelligent Studio’s, Hal, Silicon Knights and Crawfish are all in the running to receive money from the Rare sale with Nintendo claiming that they “will invest in other development houses of ours”. It is still really sad that Nintendo’s new management team didn’t see Rare within their plans for the reshuffle, as Nintendo would never have let them go before.
LOSERS:

1: Rare Ware

Believe it or not this is not what Rare wanted to happen. Rare offered Nintendo the shares, I would believe that Rare were shocked when Nintendo declined! Rare do love Nintendo, from the early NES games, to becoming huge on the SNES and re-writing rule books on the N64. Rare were exclaimed as the greatest asset to Nintendo bar Nintendo themselves. So Rare’s relationship with Nintendo was a strong one, Rare had the up most respect for the company and even developed similar games with a western twist such as Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo Kazooie. So Rare don’t want to go to Microsoft, they truly love the Gamecube and yet Nintendo basically told them to sod off. Nintendo told Rare they didn’t wish to make them a first party, which would have worried them no end. They then shut off future Rare-Nintendo joint franchises e.g. Donkey Kong Racing except the nearly completed Starfox Adventures. They then sold their shares to Microsoft for a large amount of money. Now Rare, who are used to understanding Nintendo technology, with large amounts of friendly support, and adore making games for their favourite games company are now forced to rework their current games for the X-box and basically start a fresh despite the last 3 years being spent familiarizing themselves with Gamecube technology. Workers are leaving Rare to find a company that will work with Nintendo; it really is a dark day in the history of Rare.

2: The Consumer

Naturally this isn’t good for us Nintendo fans, a case study of one can be found in the opening paragraph. We have lost someone we didn’t want to lose no matter how unnecessary they are, all because our favourite company didn’t see them financially viable. But it isn’t just that, Rare worked on Gamecube for 3 years before releasing ONE Gamecube game. It will be at least Christmas next year before Kameo gets ported and finished on X-box and only then can Rare really begin working on anything else. So the classic Rare games (e.g. Perfect Dark and Conker) won’t appear on the X-box until the very end of its life (where it will be cheaper and so I will go get it then). That is unless Rare rush through their games and working on unusual technology could mean that their games might take a beating and so gamers in general may notice that Rare aren’t quite as good as they used to be. How will Rare get the expert help they often call upon, Shiguru Miyamoto won’t come running this time… I guess we all lose out in some way.

3: Sony

No sign of any money to improve their first and second development houses and no brand new company to make awesome games and pull Nintendo fans over. All they can do is watch Microsoft become more appealing and Nintendo even richer. The threat on Sony from Microsoft is becoming more dangerous and Nintendo’s future plans with the money being injected into making more games means more money, which leads to better advertisement, which leads to larger fan base, which attracts more third parties, making Sony less appealing. Not exactly a winner now are they.

So farewell Rare, you were awesome and I fell you won’t be quite the same on the X-box. Nevertheless like Nintendo still do, I hold your abilities to make games in the highest regard. I hope that the future partnership with Microsoft may be a successful one, after all at least these guys, like Nintendo, will let you continue to do what you do best and delay games. Maybe one day Microsoft will fail in the market and then you can join a third party publisher…. maybe. I end my post with a bowed head, crossing Conker’s Other Bad Day off my most anticipated games lists and wishing that I will wake up from this depressing nightmare.

Dringo.
Tue 24/09/02 at 15:17
Regular
"Australian Person."
Great Post!
Tue 24/09/02 at 11:57
It was a press statement from Nintendo every place including gamesradar no about it.
Sun 22/09/02 at 23:47
Regular
Through IGN though, and that raises questions.
Sun 22/09/02 at 21:02
Regular
It has been officially confirmed by Nintendo.
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:25
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Has it *OFFICIALY* been confirmed?

Not by IGN, but by Rare, Nintendo and Mircosoft?
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:20
Regular
"Unretired"
Hmm, Nicely said Dringo.
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:13
Regular
"Festivus!"
GAD on the horizon me thinks
Sun 22/09/02 at 19:03
Regular
Great post Dringo, but where's the 'Here's to the future'?
Sun 22/09/02 at 01:05
Regular
You will never believe how awful this entire Rare situation is, and not for the Nintendo fans, really we don’t NEED them. Nevertheless we want them; Rare was the closest to Nintendo to us. Whilst the Japanese giant sit in their offices in Japan, Rare, the full company, are here in England and were like good friends. Now despite my claims that Rare are unnecessary to Nintendo I did share a “special” connection to Rare. It was because of my addiction to Donkey Kong Country that led me to make the decisive move to request an N64. I got hyped up over the release of Donkey Kong 64 (although it wasn’t the best I wasn’t disappointed), Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini and Conker’s Bad Fur Day. Throughout my entire N64 life I only got hyped up over two other games, Shadowman and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask (I got my N64 just as the first Zelda was released). And although I point out the fact that the large 3rd party support makes Rare redundant I did like them an awful lot. Goldeneye got me hooked; I was truly the master (out of my friends) of the multiplayer and my friend even banned me from playing and when I did it was a race for second place. Ditto with Perfect Dark but my friends were wise to me and didn’t play it nearly as much when I was near. In fact just as I played Rare’s DK Country the day before I got my N64 I was playing Rare’s Perfect Dark the day before I got the Gamecube (funny how you remember these things). Yet it was the extra special Conker’s Bad Fur Day that truly made me have that extra bit of respect, I spent over £50 making a website dedicated to it. So I hate to see them go, and although I don’t even see this as a slight worry to Nintendo’s future it does make me lose a little more faith in gaming. The loss of Rare has created some winners, but even more losers and here I will present my list of Winners and Losers.

Winners:

1: Microsoft

Microsoft needed a few more second or first parties to really make their future release seem a little more than sequels of past games or ports and multi-format games. Rare make some of the greatest and most respected games around with an incredible reputation. Rare also are a major part of why the more hardcore gamers love Nintendo. All of this means that not only do Microsoft manage to bump up their worrying release list with some of the worlds most respected franchises but also get to grab a huge amount of Nintendo fans willing to buy a second console or to leave Nintendo all together. This move will hardly save Microsoft dramatically but it will increase their foothold, the x-box has already been called a doppelganger to the PS2 but with Rare it will increase the Nintendo appeal as well making it really the best of both worlds. It also sticks two fingers up at the rival companies who wish to lay claim as having the console with the best First Person Shooters. Nintendo looked the most promising with Metroid, Die Hard and the best version of Timesplitters 2 but now Microsoft have exclusive rights to both Halo and Perfect Dark it does look like Microsoft have a killer duo of one of the most popular western games.

2: Nintendo

Nintendo really must be laughing at all this; they haven’t damaged their company at all, sales surpassing their own expectations without a sign of Rare. In fact the only Rare game receiving any hype was Starfox and that is still to be released. Nintendo not only sold Rare to Microsoft for a wealthy sum (rumored to be between $350-400 million) but also sold Rare’s own franchises such as Banjo, Perfect Dark and Conker (Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and Starfox remain with Nintendo, what of Killer Instinct?). With rumors suggesting Nintendo made up to $400 million from it all you wouldn’t be surprised that Nintendo don’t honestly care. Rare would have made them more money this year with the release of Starfox and the sale than Rare have ever done EVER! Whereas once Rare was needed to rescue Nintendo’s dwindling western sales nowadays that isn’t needed. Retro Studio’s and Silicon Knights are both first and second western parties and it looks certain that these two will receive the largest benefits from the Rare sale money wise. These small development houses could well be bigger than Rare come the end of next year, despite being smaller even if you stick them together. Also increased third party support and Rare only accumulating 3.5% of Nintendo profits for the last year and a half meant that Rare were probably just an additional annoyance that was at a risk of making a loss. Camelot, NTSC, Retro Studios, Intelligent Studio’s, Hal, Silicon Knights and Crawfish are all in the running to receive money from the Rare sale with Nintendo claiming that they “will invest in other development houses of ours”. It is still really sad that Nintendo’s new management team didn’t see Rare within their plans for the reshuffle, as Nintendo would never have let them go before.
LOSERS:

1: Rare Ware

Believe it or not this is not what Rare wanted to happen. Rare offered Nintendo the shares, I would believe that Rare were shocked when Nintendo declined! Rare do love Nintendo, from the early NES games, to becoming huge on the SNES and re-writing rule books on the N64. Rare were exclaimed as the greatest asset to Nintendo bar Nintendo themselves. So Rare’s relationship with Nintendo was a strong one, Rare had the up most respect for the company and even developed similar games with a western twist such as Diddy Kong Racing and Banjo Kazooie. So Rare don’t want to go to Microsoft, they truly love the Gamecube and yet Nintendo basically told them to sod off. Nintendo told Rare they didn’t wish to make them a first party, which would have worried them no end. They then shut off future Rare-Nintendo joint franchises e.g. Donkey Kong Racing except the nearly completed Starfox Adventures. They then sold their shares to Microsoft for a large amount of money. Now Rare, who are used to understanding Nintendo technology, with large amounts of friendly support, and adore making games for their favourite games company are now forced to rework their current games for the X-box and basically start a fresh despite the last 3 years being spent familiarizing themselves with Gamecube technology. Workers are leaving Rare to find a company that will work with Nintendo; it really is a dark day in the history of Rare.

2: The Consumer

Naturally this isn’t good for us Nintendo fans, a case study of one can be found in the opening paragraph. We have lost someone we didn’t want to lose no matter how unnecessary they are, all because our favourite company didn’t see them financially viable. But it isn’t just that, Rare worked on Gamecube for 3 years before releasing ONE Gamecube game. It will be at least Christmas next year before Kameo gets ported and finished on X-box and only then can Rare really begin working on anything else. So the classic Rare games (e.g. Perfect Dark and Conker) won’t appear on the X-box until the very end of its life (where it will be cheaper and so I will go get it then). That is unless Rare rush through their games and working on unusual technology could mean that their games might take a beating and so gamers in general may notice that Rare aren’t quite as good as they used to be. How will Rare get the expert help they often call upon, Shiguru Miyamoto won’t come running this time… I guess we all lose out in some way.

3: Sony

No sign of any money to improve their first and second development houses and no brand new company to make awesome games and pull Nintendo fans over. All they can do is watch Microsoft become more appealing and Nintendo even richer. The threat on Sony from Microsoft is becoming more dangerous and Nintendo’s future plans with the money being injected into making more games means more money, which leads to better advertisement, which leads to larger fan base, which attracts more third parties, making Sony less appealing. Not exactly a winner now are they.

So farewell Rare, you were awesome and I fell you won’t be quite the same on the X-box. Nevertheless like Nintendo still do, I hold your abilities to make games in the highest regard. I hope that the future partnership with Microsoft may be a successful one, after all at least these guys, like Nintendo, will let you continue to do what you do best and delay games. Maybe one day Microsoft will fail in the market and then you can join a third party publisher…. maybe. I end my post with a bowed head, crossing Conker’s Other Bad Day off my most anticipated games lists and wishing that I will wake up from this depressing nightmare.

Dringo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.