GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Something Borrowed, Something New…"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/09/02 at 16:40
Regular
Something Borrowed, Something New…

In an age of seemingly dying originality, a time when it has become increasingly difficult to find new and innovative ways of presenting a particular game, any release that manages to capture the imagination of games players is sure to succeed both in terms of profits, AND recognition within the industry. When a developer comes up with a new innovative idea, a new stance on an otherwise stale genre, a new angle on a dying breed of game, etc., they are rewarded for managing to bring something just slightly different to the market.

It’s not a particularly new issue, nor do I make any new points thus far. My reasoning for writing this post though, lies with Reflections latest PS2 effort, Stuntman.

From my perspective (and certainly that of many other people I’ve spoken to regarding the game) Stuntman has managed to tap into something from the long forgotten past. Reflections have, essentially, managed to recreate something that has become less and less important in new releases.

The very essence of gaming, is to be challenged. To be challenged to complete tasks of untold difficulty, yet to enjoy taking up the task.

Stuntman is both EXTREMELY playable, AND extremely frustrating. It is undoubtedly immensely difficult in places, and can really take some work to complete, yet for some reason, remains one of the most addictive games of recent times. The problem with adding a serious challenge into a game has developed over past years. Generally, if a game is THAT difficult that you’re forced to turn away, launch your controller across the room, or engage in a flurry of foul and abusive language towards your friends/family… it doesn’t succeed. The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel is, dim, if existent at all. However, no matter how many times you fail a stunt, for some reason Stuntman is always worth “one more go”.

Much like the “retro” (as we now refer to them) titles of yesteryear, Stuntman can push you to your very limits, and offers a challenge that really is every bit as difficult as it initially appears. Maybe the thought of actually beating the game (or even each individual level) inspires us to persevere with the sometimes ridiculously tough challenges. Whatever the draw, there’s something about it that prevents you from giving up without a fight.

Stuntman offers a lengthy, exciting, tough, yet thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience, something that not too many games have managed to do in recent times. Yet, it isn’t beyond the realms of reality to believe that Reflections maybe didn’t always plan Stuntman to be this way.

Of course it would always have been their aim to put together an immersive, enjoyable, quality game, but would they necessarily have planned the game to cause such reactions from the player? It goes without saying that any game needs to have a challenge, and needs to have a learning curve to allow you the chance to get to grips with the system before the real challenges begin. However, Stuntman’s challenge is so wildly different. Intricate moves are linked together in fast paced unfolding levels, making it both taxing mentally and demanding physically.
The sheer makeup of the game means that it is NATURALLY challenging to the player, and it would have been hard to avoid making Stuntman a game of skill (and of course luck) and ability to handle a sometimes uncontrollable vehicle.

I’ve played many games that are immensely difficult very early into the game, but in most cases, the rewards appear too meagre, the challenge isn’t worth continuing for.

Stuntman however, deserves perseverance. It’s a game that oozes “self-satisfaction” if you can master the challenges, something that’s been lacking from most console releases for a good few years.

To add, the game looks the part too. Granted, it most definitely DOESN’T have the graphical polish of GT3 or Project Gotham, but when a game is as instantly addictive and playable as this, does it really matter? It’s become somewhat controversial to state that gameplay is the primary component of a game, above and beyond graphics, but in this case, it really is so. The graphics are okay, they do their job, but the gameplay makes up for any frailties in that department.

The one major problem with Stuntman is that this sort of game has ALREADY worn thin. Releasing a sequel may JUST be plausible with new stunts and levels to navigate, but much beyond that, it simply wouldn’t work. By that stage, it’d be nothing new, and although that wouldn’t make Stuntman 2 a bad game, it would detract from some of it’s initial draw.

Stuntman is a modern classic, yet the premise is very simply, and possibly even repetitive after even a BRIEF play. Sound familiar?

I’m not saying that all games should return to this simple structure in order to succeed, just that it still goes to show that a game success depends on the absolute ground roots of the title. The premise, the gameplay, the challenge. Three elements ABSOLOUTELY crucial to producing a successful title, and Stuntman has shown that re-visiting some old ideas really can pay dividends.

It’s original by today’s standards, yet is based on old tried and tested formulas. Something borrowed, something new.
Sat 21/09/02 at 16:54
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Tribute wrote:
> I love being frustrated at games, as it makes me more fetermined to do
> the task. That is, as long as i know that I can do it.

I think that's another element that really adds to Stuntman, MOST of the time your well aware you can complete the challenges.

There's nothing COMPLETELY out of reach. Generally, when you fail a stunt, you'll be screaming because you came so close to completing it. It's tough, but generally you know you can actually complete the tasks with a little perservearance.
Sat 21/09/02 at 16:44
Regular
"Festivus!"
I love being frustrated at games, as it makes me more fetermined to do the task. That is, as long as i know that I can do it.
Sat 21/09/02 at 16:40
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Something Borrowed, Something New…

In an age of seemingly dying originality, a time when it has become increasingly difficult to find new and innovative ways of presenting a particular game, any release that manages to capture the imagination of games players is sure to succeed both in terms of profits, AND recognition within the industry. When a developer comes up with a new innovative idea, a new stance on an otherwise stale genre, a new angle on a dying breed of game, etc., they are rewarded for managing to bring something just slightly different to the market.

It’s not a particularly new issue, nor do I make any new points thus far. My reasoning for writing this post though, lies with Reflections latest PS2 effort, Stuntman.

From my perspective (and certainly that of many other people I’ve spoken to regarding the game) Stuntman has managed to tap into something from the long forgotten past. Reflections have, essentially, managed to recreate something that has become less and less important in new releases.

The very essence of gaming, is to be challenged. To be challenged to complete tasks of untold difficulty, yet to enjoy taking up the task.

Stuntman is both EXTREMELY playable, AND extremely frustrating. It is undoubtedly immensely difficult in places, and can really take some work to complete, yet for some reason, remains one of the most addictive games of recent times. The problem with adding a serious challenge into a game has developed over past years. Generally, if a game is THAT difficult that you’re forced to turn away, launch your controller across the room, or engage in a flurry of foul and abusive language towards your friends/family… it doesn’t succeed. The light at the end of the proverbial tunnel is, dim, if existent at all. However, no matter how many times you fail a stunt, for some reason Stuntman is always worth “one more go”.

Much like the “retro” (as we now refer to them) titles of yesteryear, Stuntman can push you to your very limits, and offers a challenge that really is every bit as difficult as it initially appears. Maybe the thought of actually beating the game (or even each individual level) inspires us to persevere with the sometimes ridiculously tough challenges. Whatever the draw, there’s something about it that prevents you from giving up without a fight.

Stuntman offers a lengthy, exciting, tough, yet thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience, something that not too many games have managed to do in recent times. Yet, it isn’t beyond the realms of reality to believe that Reflections maybe didn’t always plan Stuntman to be this way.

Of course it would always have been their aim to put together an immersive, enjoyable, quality game, but would they necessarily have planned the game to cause such reactions from the player? It goes without saying that any game needs to have a challenge, and needs to have a learning curve to allow you the chance to get to grips with the system before the real challenges begin. However, Stuntman’s challenge is so wildly different. Intricate moves are linked together in fast paced unfolding levels, making it both taxing mentally and demanding physically.
The sheer makeup of the game means that it is NATURALLY challenging to the player, and it would have been hard to avoid making Stuntman a game of skill (and of course luck) and ability to handle a sometimes uncontrollable vehicle.

I’ve played many games that are immensely difficult very early into the game, but in most cases, the rewards appear too meagre, the challenge isn’t worth continuing for.

Stuntman however, deserves perseverance. It’s a game that oozes “self-satisfaction” if you can master the challenges, something that’s been lacking from most console releases for a good few years.

To add, the game looks the part too. Granted, it most definitely DOESN’T have the graphical polish of GT3 or Project Gotham, but when a game is as instantly addictive and playable as this, does it really matter? It’s become somewhat controversial to state that gameplay is the primary component of a game, above and beyond graphics, but in this case, it really is so. The graphics are okay, they do their job, but the gameplay makes up for any frailties in that department.

The one major problem with Stuntman is that this sort of game has ALREADY worn thin. Releasing a sequel may JUST be plausible with new stunts and levels to navigate, but much beyond that, it simply wouldn’t work. By that stage, it’d be nothing new, and although that wouldn’t make Stuntman 2 a bad game, it would detract from some of it’s initial draw.

Stuntman is a modern classic, yet the premise is very simply, and possibly even repetitive after even a BRIEF play. Sound familiar?

I’m not saying that all games should return to this simple structure in order to succeed, just that it still goes to show that a game success depends on the absolute ground roots of the title. The premise, the gameplay, the challenge. Three elements ABSOLOUTELY crucial to producing a successful title, and Stuntman has shown that re-visiting some old ideas really can pay dividends.

It’s original by today’s standards, yet is based on old tried and tested formulas. Something borrowed, something new.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.