GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Hancock"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/07/08 at 19:32
Regular
For those of you who are ignorant to the movie world, Hancock is the recently released "superhero" movie starring Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron.

I first heard about Hancock not long before I am Legend came out, and from what I read the premise was an interesting approach to the superhero world. Will Smith plays Hancock who is endowed with superpowers. However he isn't your regular superhero, Hancock is out of favour with the public due to his reckless behaviour whilst trying to "save the day." Hancock meets and saves Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), who is your regular nice guy PR, and in return he decides it's time to improve Hancocks public image.

The first part of the film is the best part of the film, unfortunately. We see Hancock as a oft drunk superhero who reluctantly tries to solve problems.The movie opens on police chasing some criminals (who have done we don't know what) We then cut to a sleeping, drunk Hancock on a bench. Now whilst I will agree that the first part of the movie is the best part, unfortunatly most of the best parts had already been shown to us in the trailers and scenes which should have been laugh out loud funny brought no more than a chuckle to me. Not long into the movie Hancok meets Ray and saves his life.

Ray is shown to be this nice guy who just wants to save the world with some pointless logo thing that is never really touched upon again in the movie.

The middle of the movie begins, and this is where it begins to stutter and feels more like the end of the movie. Hancock does what Ray says and lo and behold Hancock is popular again. The end. But it is not, We are then treated to a random story about Hancock and his past, which feels contrived and out of place. What displeased me further was that the laughs began to drop as well.

Not long after Hancocks redemption we get the third and final part of the movie. This part basically begins with some character history for Hancock, or rather not as it turns out he has amnesia. We then get an "unexpected" twist from one of our other characters. Except it is not unexpected at all, at least anyone with half a brain would have seen something like that coming a mile off, and really after this the movie begins to make no sense. Without spoiling things you will find yourself thinking well that doesn't make sense and why did that happen. Eventually we reach the rather anti-climatic climax, which is resolved again in a rather odd manner. Off course we get a Happy Ending and everyone seems to live happily ever after.

So what did I enjoy about Hancock. Well early on the movie is enjoyable and there are scenes that make you laugh, such as the bit where he stops the train and tells a larger man he should sue macdonalds, and the bit with a little boy named michelle. I enjoyed the premise to the movie and basic setup.

What I didn't enjoy. The final 2/3 of the movie really slipped and the story really makes little sense. Furthermore the best bits of the movie had been shown to us in the trailer, such as the bit with the whale. There isn't really a villian in the movie either, the only bad guys at the end felt thrown in just to inlcude a bad guy.

Overall I would say Hancock is an enjoyable movie but it isn't very good. (If you've seen the movie you'd understand)

So ** out of ***** for me. (It would've been 3 but I read in a couple of places that the studio ordered cuts to acheive a Will Smith family friendly movie.)
Sat 12/07/08 at 13:51
Regular
"Monochromatic"
I dont agree with your review at all. The only real flaw with this film was the lack of a villain. It was split into 3 parts and each did what they were supposed to do. Situation, redemption and revelation. It wasn't supposed to be a comedy right the way through, to be honest i would barely call it a comedy at all.
Oh and the heart thing Ray was advertising, did you completely miss the last scene?

7 or 8 out of 10
Fri 11/07/08 at 11:52
Regular
"Opposable thumbs"
I definitely agree with the first half being better than the second half.

I don't really like to devide films in halves, but with this one, it was quite obvious.

It was a solid idea: Will Smith playing a sort of anti-hero, a superhero with a bad attitude and little compassion, which sounds fantastic on paper, and to be fair, I really enjoyed this portion of the film.

But yes, I think they tried to inject some (badly inplemented) depth to it, which I feel, if they stuck with the generic superhero film turned on its head route, they really would not have needed it.

Or maybe, if they acutally made the explanation of the whos,whats and wheres a little more less drivel.

Average film. Great start. Cop-out 2nd half.
Tue 08/07/08 at 19:53
Regular
Went to see this yesterday, and I pretty much agree with you.

I really liked the first half of the film. It throws you straight in without any dodgy backstory. There's a few laughs to be had, and the idea worked really well I thought.

But from half-way through onwards, they started giving the reasons and history behind it, which I didn't really care about. I don't think they even aimed for any laughs in the second half, and the 'bad-guy' really did seem like he was thrown in for good measure.

I'd recommend going to see it, as it certainly isn't a bad film at all, though in fairness all Will Smith films are worth watching (apart from Wild Wild West)!

3/5 rating from me.
Tue 08/07/08 at 19:32
Regular
For those of you who are ignorant to the movie world, Hancock is the recently released "superhero" movie starring Will Smith, Jason Bateman and Charlize Theron.

I first heard about Hancock not long before I am Legend came out, and from what I read the premise was an interesting approach to the superhero world. Will Smith plays Hancock who is endowed with superpowers. However he isn't your regular superhero, Hancock is out of favour with the public due to his reckless behaviour whilst trying to "save the day." Hancock meets and saves Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), who is your regular nice guy PR, and in return he decides it's time to improve Hancocks public image.

The first part of the film is the best part of the film, unfortunately. We see Hancock as a oft drunk superhero who reluctantly tries to solve problems.The movie opens on police chasing some criminals (who have done we don't know what) We then cut to a sleeping, drunk Hancock on a bench. Now whilst I will agree that the first part of the movie is the best part, unfortunatly most of the best parts had already been shown to us in the trailers and scenes which should have been laugh out loud funny brought no more than a chuckle to me. Not long into the movie Hancok meets Ray and saves his life.

Ray is shown to be this nice guy who just wants to save the world with some pointless logo thing that is never really touched upon again in the movie.

The middle of the movie begins, and this is where it begins to stutter and feels more like the end of the movie. Hancock does what Ray says and lo and behold Hancock is popular again. The end. But it is not, We are then treated to a random story about Hancock and his past, which feels contrived and out of place. What displeased me further was that the laughs began to drop as well.

Not long after Hancocks redemption we get the third and final part of the movie. This part basically begins with some character history for Hancock, or rather not as it turns out he has amnesia. We then get an "unexpected" twist from one of our other characters. Except it is not unexpected at all, at least anyone with half a brain would have seen something like that coming a mile off, and really after this the movie begins to make no sense. Without spoiling things you will find yourself thinking well that doesn't make sense and why did that happen. Eventually we reach the rather anti-climatic climax, which is resolved again in a rather odd manner. Off course we get a Happy Ending and everyone seems to live happily ever after.

So what did I enjoy about Hancock. Well early on the movie is enjoyable and there are scenes that make you laugh, such as the bit where he stops the train and tells a larger man he should sue macdonalds, and the bit with a little boy named michelle. I enjoyed the premise to the movie and basic setup.

What I didn't enjoy. The final 2/3 of the movie really slipped and the story really makes little sense. Furthermore the best bits of the movie had been shown to us in the trailer, such as the bit with the whale. There isn't really a villian in the movie either, the only bad guys at the end felt thrown in just to inlcude a bad guy.

Overall I would say Hancock is an enjoyable movie but it isn't very good. (If you've seen the movie you'd understand)

So ** out of ***** for me. (It would've been 3 but I read in a couple of places that the studio ordered cuts to acheive a Will Smith family friendly movie.)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.