GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"DO VIDEOGAMES MAKE YOU VIOLENT"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/11/00 at 14:10
Regular
Do videogames make you violent??? The media always tell us that videogames somehow warp us, and make us violent people.
Its true everytime I play Goldeneye on the N64 I just want to go down the road shooting anything that moves, headshots being desirable..but sarcasm aside.. do videogames make you violent,

This is a particularly relevant topic with so many of you playing GTA, so do you all feel like being a major Drug Baron, earning money on the side through prostitution, loan sharking, and selling Playstation2s on the black market???
Sun 26/11/00 at 14:10
Do videogames make you violent??? The media always tell us that videogames somehow warp us, and make us violent people.
Its true everytime I play Goldeneye on the N64 I just want to go down the road shooting anything that moves, headshots being desirable..but sarcasm aside.. do videogames make you violent,

This is a particularly relevant topic with so many of you playing GTA, so do you all feel like being a major Drug Baron, earning money on the side through prostitution, loan sharking, and selling Playstation2s on the black market???
Sun 26/11/00 at 14:24
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
some games make me more aggressive, but it's not games where I kill other people it's usually games like Zelda and Diddy Kong Racing, when i can't get past a certain challenge, this challenge might take me about an hour to finish, thats what makes me angry, it's all part of playing those type of games I guess.
Your thinking about Americans, they see people getting shot on games and get their dad's gun and take it to school, over here we just play games and laugh. well I do, don't know if you have any first hand experience on this.
Sun 26/11/00 at 14:44
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
It's true that when I see Hari Krishna's I want to mow them down with a Jugular XJ6, but then who doesn't? I always have this irrepressible urge to bounce on crabs when I'm walking on the beach and paint myself blue and put spikes on my back when singing "Five gold rings" at Christmas time too, but then that's not really violent. I suppose the worst inclination is to shout "Who's footprints are these?" when it's snowing and then to sneak up on people and snap their necks, especially if they are wearing white Parkas and carrying AK-47 rifles and a few grenades, but I've never quite got around to doing it because there's never enough snow. Does that answer your question?
Sun 26/11/00 at 14:46
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
no, that comes from playing too much 'Barbie Race and Ride.'
Sun 26/11/00 at 14:51
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Must......killllll......Barbie.....aaaaaaarghhhhh!
Sun 26/11/00 at 15:11
Regular
That's a stupid question to ask jim!
How can games make you violent when it's virtual reality!
You can do whatever you want in it, nobody will stop you except a few guards and some policeman but never will it make me violent.

We get into a virtual world everyday, it's just some ideas, people try to put in, which you can't do in real life.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:04
Regular
Annoying pubecent boys make me want to hurt them.

Games don't. So don't believe any of that pap that "scientists" have "researched throughly".
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:14
"possibly impossible"
The idea is that the adrenyline from playing games can add to an already violent nature to excite the person enough to commit violence in real life. I believe that only naturally violent people (i.e those who have a problem keeping their anger inside them and end up inflicting it on others) would normally be affected by such games, and even then it would have to be at a time that they were already feeling violent anyway.

But that's just one opinion.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:18
that is so true, but then the ordinary person has been known to have on the spot homicidal impulses, i dont know if violent games can be blamed...ah hell lets face it they cant, they are designed with fun in mind, not maliciousness.
Sun 26/11/00 at 16:21
well, its been fun, but i must go, byebye all

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.