GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"prices,games as films and companys at there last console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 21/09/02 at 11:34
Regular
If you look at past era's, consoles launched, and they were expensive. Then, they dropped after a year and a half, and by just a little bit. Then, a while after, dropped, but by a little bit again. What i mean is, they dropped slowly and gradually through their life span.

But my point is, they seem to be rushing the price drops so much! Why? They're going to lose so much money out of this! I mean, it's getting serious. We know MS is already losing money by the buckets, i'm not sure about Sony, and Nintendo is making profit, but at the rate the price war is going, they'll be losing money too.

Now, i don't know what's the thing here, but it seems like it's a race. They seem to be lowering their prices by the gallons, and so fast. I mean, ok, PS2 was out a year and a half, so a price drop was a given, but 100$ is still a lot for a 1 year and a half price drop. But Xbox? Oh come on! That's illogical. The console was out 6 or 7 months, and they already drop it 100$ down! GCN, same thing, but 50$. And i think 50 bucks for 6 months of lasting is a kinda relatively big drop.

Before we know it, they're going to be giving out consoles in your local fish and chip shop. :s

P.S

As we all know, games that become movies usually suck. Anyway,allthough I have seen RE , but I hear that many people are rating it a load of rubish,which it is compared to a lot of film such as gladiator,but it's not that bad,in a way. Anyway, I hear they're planning to shoot House of the Dead on a $12 million budget, just to continue the tradition of good games making awful movies.

Despite all this, I think that there are some games will make make great movies if people would slash the cash and put the effort into it,them games are(to name a few) of course, MGS,Halo,zelda and many more. That said, with a halfway decent budget (what are they thinking with $12 million, although they'll probably make a bit more). Anyway, does anyone else have titles of games that should be made into movies?

THE LAST?
I've read on webpages and stuff that some people reckon that Nintendo won't make another console (like Sega) and only makes games, why would they think that?

Admittedly, this stems from a misquote from Satoru Iwata where he meant that Nintendo are going to concentrate more on games for the GC rather than going to work on a more powerful multi-media console like Microsoft and Sony, but how would Nintendo not survive in the future? I mean, financially, Nintendo have rarely had it better, the last two years have seen record rises in profits for the company, and they survived despite the rather lacklustre performance of the N64, which (while being a brilliant console) didn't play CDs as the PS did or do FMVs (at least the GC can do FMV's but most decent games just use Real-time graphics), and the GC has certainly done a good deal better in its early life than its predeccessor, and they are still a force to be reckoned with (as Sony's decision to hold a lot of money in reserve to counter Mario Sunshine's launch proved)

Any other reasons as to why some people seem to think that the GC will be Nintendo's last?
Sat 21/09/02 at 11:34
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
If you look at past era's, consoles launched, and they were expensive. Then, they dropped after a year and a half, and by just a little bit. Then, a while after, dropped, but by a little bit again. What i mean is, they dropped slowly and gradually through their life span.

But my point is, they seem to be rushing the price drops so much! Why? They're going to lose so much money out of this! I mean, it's getting serious. We know MS is already losing money by the buckets, i'm not sure about Sony, and Nintendo is making profit, but at the rate the price war is going, they'll be losing money too.

Now, i don't know what's the thing here, but it seems like it's a race. They seem to be lowering their prices by the gallons, and so fast. I mean, ok, PS2 was out a year and a half, so a price drop was a given, but 100$ is still a lot for a 1 year and a half price drop. But Xbox? Oh come on! That's illogical. The console was out 6 or 7 months, and they already drop it 100$ down! GCN, same thing, but 50$. And i think 50 bucks for 6 months of lasting is a kinda relatively big drop.

Before we know it, they're going to be giving out consoles in your local fish and chip shop. :s

P.S

As we all know, games that become movies usually suck. Anyway,allthough I have seen RE , but I hear that many people are rating it a load of rubish,which it is compared to a lot of film such as gladiator,but it's not that bad,in a way. Anyway, I hear they're planning to shoot House of the Dead on a $12 million budget, just to continue the tradition of good games making awful movies.

Despite all this, I think that there are some games will make make great movies if people would slash the cash and put the effort into it,them games are(to name a few) of course, MGS,Halo,zelda and many more. That said, with a halfway decent budget (what are they thinking with $12 million, although they'll probably make a bit more). Anyway, does anyone else have titles of games that should be made into movies?

THE LAST?
I've read on webpages and stuff that some people reckon that Nintendo won't make another console (like Sega) and only makes games, why would they think that?

Admittedly, this stems from a misquote from Satoru Iwata where he meant that Nintendo are going to concentrate more on games for the GC rather than going to work on a more powerful multi-media console like Microsoft and Sony, but how would Nintendo not survive in the future? I mean, financially, Nintendo have rarely had it better, the last two years have seen record rises in profits for the company, and they survived despite the rather lacklustre performance of the N64, which (while being a brilliant console) didn't play CDs as the PS did or do FMVs (at least the GC can do FMV's but most decent games just use Real-time graphics), and the GC has certainly done a good deal better in its early life than its predeccessor, and they are still a force to be reckoned with (as Sony's decision to hold a lot of money in reserve to counter Mario Sunshine's launch proved)

Any other reasons as to why some people seem to think that the GC will be Nintendo's last?
Sat 21/09/02 at 11:46
Regular
"smile, it's free"
Nintendo are doing very well at the moment, but most of their profit is coming from the GBA. The Gamecube probably won't be their last console, they're in too strong a position for that. Also, if they pull out of the console market, it will not do their reputation any good, and handheld sales will suffer.

As for prices, it seems co-operative pricing has been abandoned. It's another take on the prisoner's dilema - If all keep high prices, they'll all benefit. This happens in most areas of retail these days. However, if one company reduces price significantly, they will benefit as the others lose out. Of course if several companies reduces prices, then they'll all lose out badly. In theory, they should all keep high prices, but it's too late for that now...
Sat 21/09/02 at 11:54
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
If nintendo do produce a new console it would be great for sega and nintendo to team up,but i'll beleive when I see it :S
Sat 21/09/02 at 12:20
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
What do you lot think of all this

Thhe forum is very slow at the moment
Sat 21/09/02 at 13:22
ive heard that theres going to be a metal gear solid, grand theft auto and a turok movies.
Sat 21/09/02 at 16:36
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
cool,were did you here that?
Sat 21/09/02 at 17:19
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
does anyone now a web site with a walkthrough/guide for resident evil for gamecube?
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:32
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
how come when ever I post a topic like this nowone replys,does no one care?
Sat 21/09/02 at 18:53
"For the horde!!!!"
i have seen the RE movie and it's not that bad, not a patch on the Alien films but it's still ok. If Microsoft are losing money on the Xbox i don't think price cuts are the anwser, they need another stratergy.
Sat 21/09/02 at 20:16
Regular
"standupandchatpeopl"
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm,like what

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.