GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How do you play yours?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 08/07/08 at 09:37
"possibly impossible"
I’m the sort of person who likes to have a load of games ready to play. I like to ensure that I’ve got games for every mood and occasion and I must admit to not playing some of them all the way through before picking up something else.

However, if a game strikes me as really good then I’ll keep it, even if I’ve finished it, to play again. Other lesser games get traded in after I get bored.

But then a lot of my friends tend to think this is weird. They like to have one or two games in their collection which they play until completion, then go and buy another. This doesn’t really suit me, some days I’ll feel like a shooter and others I’ll want a puzzle or racing game.

Yesterday night, for instance, I was playing multiplayer Bad Company, but the day before I was racing my daughter on Mario Kart and Excite Truck and then Friday I played Spiderman 3 (yes, despite the reviews and the annoying bosses it isn’t that bad). Without all these different games I’d be lost. But it does mean that I don’t often see a game to the end, or if I do it takes ages. I’ll probably complete both Bad Company and GTA4 at some point, but with MGS4 on the way it’s only a matter of time before that starts shouting for my attention too.

So how do you like to play? Do you own a big games collection or play one game all the way through? Do you think it’s insane to have just a single game or console or are you dedicated to 100% completion before you move on?
Tue 08/07/08 at 13:01
Regular
I am definitely one of those who rarely completes a game 100% I get bored, for example GTA IV I haven't even finished single player yet (I am on the last mission but I just get fed up when I die). The only game I ever attempted to complete 100% was Final Fantasy VII I could play that game for hours upon hours until I killed Ruby and Emerald, but since then nothing really held me much beyond the story and a few side quests.

Having said that Dead Rising came very close, I tried doing qutie a few acheivements.

The funny thing is though I keep most if not all my games. I like owning them, not sure why just like to keep them. (OK I could probably offer various reasons but I'm not going to). I still have my first copy of FFVII and most of my games haven't been touched in years.
Tue 08/07/08 at 11:47
"possibly impossible"
Black8704 wrote:
> I've recently got Battlefield Bad Company and have become
> hooked, it's even better than COD4 was IMO, there's quite a meaty
> bit of multiplayer to complete which is what it's all about for
> me.

I've been playing through this as well, excellent game and great online. I've even still got the demo on my 360 just in case I can't play the PS3 one (usually because the wife is watching something on the TV downstairs).
Tue 08/07/08 at 11:45
"possibly impossible"
ButchML wrote:

> I tend to always have a bunch of games to play as I like to pick
> them up cheap or second hand as I know I will want to play them
> at some point in the future. C&C3 on the 360 is an example of
> this, picked this up last year for £15 and only done the
> tutorials so far! I have have LOST: The Game being delivered this
> week! :S

Agreed, second hand games are great and it would be a shame if the big 3 got their way and stopped the second hand market.

Though even new games are coming down in price, you only have to look at the bargain thread to see a load of new titles (some of them really good as well) at around £9.99.
Tue 08/07/08 at 11:16
Regular
"Hello?"
I tend to try and complete the story section of each game or the missions but lose interest when trying to complete a game 100% if there isn't anymore story left. However when it comes to the online FPS genre I am hooked until the disk is so worn that it becomes unplayable.

Call of duty 4 for instance online was great, every game was the same in the sense same maps weapons etc, but it was always different, I never get bored of playing online with those kind of games.

If I buy a game I try not to buy anymore until I have finished that particular one, I get easily distracted away from a game! GTA IV was good... for a week until I finished the story, only got to about 70% completetion but there was nothing pulling me back to the game to get the other 30%, it became mundane.

I've recently got Battlefield Bad Company and have become hooked, it's even better than COD4 was IMO, there's quite a meaty bit of multiplayer to complete which is what it's all about for me.

I guess my conclusion on my style of playing games is the following. I'll usually complete a story of a game unless it is as good as everygrace (awful ps2 rpg). If it's an online FPS I'll play it until another one comes along that's better or my games console decides to die.
Tue 08/07/08 at 10:49
Staff Moderator
"Show Me Your Moves"
Interesting, never really thought about it to be honest...

I tend to get addicted to games or have periods where I will really get into one or two games and play those almost exclusively. Take last month for example I started playing FIFA08 on my 360 as I picked that up cheap online at the beginning of the month, this was interspaced with a couple of evenings a week on World of Warcraft. I then decided I was actually going to sit down and play Super Mario Galaxy so I spent a couple of evenings playing that (and really enjoying it) and toward the end of the month my interest in WoW peaked and I was pretty much only playing that.

So far this month I am still concentrating on WoW more and more with the odd half hour here and there of Smash Bros Melee.

I tend to always have a bunch of games to play as I like to pick them up cheap or second hand as I know I will want to play them at some point in the future. C&C3 on the 360 is an example of this, picked this up last year for £15 and only done the tutorials so far! I have have LOST: The Game being delivered this week! :S
Tue 08/07/08 at 09:37
"possibly impossible"
I’m the sort of person who likes to have a load of games ready to play. I like to ensure that I’ve got games for every mood and occasion and I must admit to not playing some of them all the way through before picking up something else.

However, if a game strikes me as really good then I’ll keep it, even if I’ve finished it, to play again. Other lesser games get traded in after I get bored.

But then a lot of my friends tend to think this is weird. They like to have one or two games in their collection which they play until completion, then go and buy another. This doesn’t really suit me, some days I’ll feel like a shooter and others I’ll want a puzzle or racing game.

Yesterday night, for instance, I was playing multiplayer Bad Company, but the day before I was racing my daughter on Mario Kart and Excite Truck and then Friday I played Spiderman 3 (yes, despite the reviews and the annoying bosses it isn’t that bad). Without all these different games I’d be lost. But it does mean that I don’t often see a game to the end, or if I do it takes ages. I’ll probably complete both Bad Company and GTA4 at some point, but with MGS4 on the way it’s only a matter of time before that starts shouting for my attention too.

So how do you like to play? Do you own a big games collection or play one game all the way through? Do you think it’s insane to have just a single game or console or are you dedicated to 100% completion before you move on?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.