GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The truth about PS2 and why the GC is indeed more powerful"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 26/11/00 at 01:48
Regular
When the PS2 was first shown in public people were amazed at its quality visuals. It was only later shown, that all the footage shown was pre rendered FMV. Sony claimed the PS2 can do 70 million polygons. The truth is that the PS2 may well be able to show 70 million motionless, textureless polygons, but in reality the figure may well be as low 5 million and high as 20 million (being very optomistic). So to those idiots who bought the console believing this hype, how does it feel to be lied to and tricked into getting a console which is slightly more powerfull than a DC. The PS2 can do things the DC can't, but the DC, taking JET SET RADIO for example can do things the PS2 can't. Surely the PS2 should have been able to do anyhting the DC can, but Sony made a mess up with the systems Vram. Many developers are now facing the reality of PS2. They can either risk going out of business by making games for the PS2 (as its well known that PS2 games aren't selling well in Japan) or back a more risk free console in the GC. Regarding power. Well the emotion chip of the PS2 is now out of date. The GC flipper Chip has been designed in mind that it is way ahead of it years. For example the GC graphics chips is capable of doing 8 different tasks in one pass. For the PS2 emotion chip to achieve the same effect, it will have to make 8 passes to do the same tasks that the GC can do in one. Put superfast IT Ram into the equation, and you've got THE most powerful graphics chips known to man. So to all those people who spent £300 on the new PS2, how do you feel now. You have been tricked by Sony and have believed all their pre-launch hype and lies. I laugh at you. The DC will keep me going till the GC comes around. Then I have the best of both worlds. Anyone who disagrees with me just don't know their facts. Oh MGS2 looks good. Did you know that most of the sequences released to date are pre planned action sequences using the games engine. So really Konami may be trying to fool the public by saying that this is actual gameplay, when it isn't. Remember MGS was the same. The GC and DC will become the GAMERS machine. As for you casual gamers, well I don't really care much about your opinions, because you really don't know the real truth.
Sun 26/11/00 at 01:48
When the PS2 was first shown in public people were amazed at its quality visuals. It was only later shown, that all the footage shown was pre rendered FMV. Sony claimed the PS2 can do 70 million polygons. The truth is that the PS2 may well be able to show 70 million motionless, textureless polygons, but in reality the figure may well be as low 5 million and high as 20 million (being very optomistic). So to those idiots who bought the console believing this hype, how does it feel to be lied to and tricked into getting a console which is slightly more powerfull than a DC. The PS2 can do things the DC can't, but the DC, taking JET SET RADIO for example can do things the PS2 can't. Surely the PS2 should have been able to do anyhting the DC can, but Sony made a mess up with the systems Vram. Many developers are now facing the reality of PS2. They can either risk going out of business by making games for the PS2 (as its well known that PS2 games aren't selling well in Japan) or back a more risk free console in the GC. Regarding power. Well the emotion chip of the PS2 is now out of date. The GC flipper Chip has been designed in mind that it is way ahead of it years. For example the GC graphics chips is capable of doing 8 different tasks in one pass. For the PS2 emotion chip to achieve the same effect, it will have to make 8 passes to do the same tasks that the GC can do in one. Put superfast IT Ram into the equation, and you've got THE most powerful graphics chips known to man. So to all those people who spent £300 on the new PS2, how do you feel now. You have been tricked by Sony and have believed all their pre-launch hype and lies. I laugh at you. The DC will keep me going till the GC comes around. Then I have the best of both worlds. Anyone who disagrees with me just don't know their facts. Oh MGS2 looks good. Did you know that most of the sequences released to date are pre planned action sequences using the games engine. So really Konami may be trying to fool the public by saying that this is actual gameplay, when it isn't. Remember MGS was the same. The GC and DC will become the GAMERS machine. As for you casual gamers, well I don't really care much about your opinions, because you really don't know the real truth.
Tue 02/01/01 at 14:38
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
How about you calm down for a minute and realise one other fact: The PS2 has been out for around 10 months in Japan now, of course the technology isnt going to be as good as a new console which hasnt been released yet. Nintendo aren't stupid enough to make a next generation system less powerful than acompetitior, are they? Also, as everyone keep saying, the N64 was more powerful, but didn't fare well against the PSone. I don't feel at all like Sony have tricked me out of my money, I think the PS2's great and I'm sure the GameCube will be a quality mchine too, so why don't you respect that and buy what you want instead of slagging off the PS2, huh?
Wed 03/01/01 at 16:33
Regular
A deserving win, well done Avatar.
Wed 03/01/01 at 18:32
Regular
"I like cheese"
Well said Avatar.

To "choppers", I'm not a true gamer cos I have a PSX and and soon enough a PS2?? I don't think so.
Wed 03/01/01 at 19:22
Regular
choppers, you obviously know what your talking about but just remember that it is the games that make the console and not the console that makes the games. The GC may seem more powerful and better than the PS2 but if the game developers don't come up with original ideas and use all of its resourses it could still do a lot worse than the PS2... and it looks rubbish!
Wed 03/01/01 at 19:42
no it doesn't it looks way better that the gaystation2
Wed 03/01/01 at 20:59
Regular
wow mate thiings are getting nasty here and i like it Playstation 2 has 250 differen't pressure points, can play backwards compatable games and can play DVD maovies but who gives a ****. The 250 pressure points are not neccessary and can make game playing impossible. Teken Tag is a major dissapointment if the Goldeneye team made time spitters something has gone wrong along the way. NINTENDO make the best games so do RARE, LEFTFIELD, RETRO STUDIOS and SILICON KNIGHTS and their all Gamecube only!Gamecube also has MGS2, Namco games (ridge racer and Teken) and the return of squaresoft. what's that the Gamecube doesn't play DVD movies is it my imagination or isn't it ment to be a GAMES CONSOLE. The price of the GC is so low you could buy a DVD player. Nintendo are amazing and if the PS2 does the same over here as in Japan then Nintendo will have little trouble controling the market.
Wed 03/01/01 at 21:34
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Who gives a ****? Obviously several hundred thousand people do, with the orders the PS2 has been getting. While I was slightly disappointed by TTT, it preferred it to the arcade version, and having played Timesplitters solid after the release, I think it's anything but a disappointment. All the best developers are Nintendo only? I could go on about great games the ps and n64 had that the other didnt (but wont), but there are always going to be games on one system that are good, that dont appear on others (causing owners to get jealous and try to convince themselves that they're no good - timesplitters?). Finally, what's wrong with having a dvd built in? For a lot of people this is a bonus, if you've already got one, you're not forced to use it. If you dont want to pay for the unnescessary extra, wait for the price to drop, but for a lot of people this is a good extra feature (main reason a few of my mates bought it).
Wed 03/01/01 at 23:43
I consider myself a casual gamer and i feel there is nothing wrong with that. So what if i don't know the ins and outs of all the machines, i know what i like and i just enjoy playing on my console when i want. I find there are many other things to fill my time which means often i can't play on my games.
My point is choppers that my opinions should still count as i am just as likely to enjoy playing on a my Playstation 2 as others who know all about the machine. I am entitled to share my views and i think you should care what us casual gamers think. i believe this discussions site was set up so we ALL could share views not just those who claim to be in the know.
Oh yeah, good point AVATAR.

Snoochy
Fri 05/01/01 at 19:16
Regular
You're a hardcore gamer really! You just won't admit it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.