GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Goo Bosses and Bad Bosses"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 19/09/02 at 17:56
Regular
Bosses pretty much everyone in the country will have one some time in their life, but that doesn't matter. As this topic is about the bosses in games which you have to defeat. Now most games have bosses, there are selections that don’t but we aren’t looking at thoughs. Now the other thing that gets me is that I believe bosses are a very important part of a game, and the thing is no one ever talks about them, why?

Well, what in the world makes a decent boss? In some games you have to face a boss at the end of every level, a few of these could are Mario and Lylat Wars. I believe these games have made good use of them and not made things too silly. As some games do, I mean in my time I have played some games with the bosses being so hard I couldn’t defeat. Now what happens to a gamer when playing a game and they come across a boss who is too difficult and they can’t defeat, they stop playing the game. So I believe that there is a bad side to every game with to many bosses that are to easy or hard. Another thing is that bosses sometimes can be so easy its dull *cough* Spiderman*cough*. I don’t mind games where at the beginning the bosses are so easy your grandma could beat um up, as I feel this gives the player a chance to get to know the controls and feel this game is pretty cool. If any of you actually sit down wants completing a game and read the names of the HOLY PEOPLE who made the game they all mostly seem to have their own specific job, am I right? Well what about a man who study’s bosses and goes around poking at games and looking at the good quality’s and the bad quality’s of a boss? Then once he has done this make a boss that everyone would enjoy? I have looked at the names of people’s jobs for decades and I haven’t seen one saying boss designer and programmer.

When did bosses turn up? Um does anyone know? As computer games started out so simply, like hit a ball at bricks and make them go away style of games when did they ever think about adding bosses to the games? Was it when suddenly graphics got better and games improved? Remember super Mario on the nes? To me that’s the game that got me psyched about games and they had a few bosses in there all pretty pants to me now but back then they were gods!! Can any of you older gamers remember when these bosses were put in? Now would it have made any difference to the games we are playing now if no one had thought up bosses for computer games?
I mean we wouldn’t have so many games like Mario and Lylat wars (as you see my imagination is running wild with all the games I could have chosen). So many of you talk about revolutionary in gaming and about how graphics and speed and all that mumbo jumbo have improved but you never really talk about how much things inside games have changed and how many things were revolutionary in the actual way of what was in the game. I personally think that when the first boss was put in to a game that it was one of the biggest revolutionary things to happen to gaming. There are others but I don’t know about them maybe you could enlighten me.

The perfect boss? I think not most of you will think. Most games with bosses that I have experienced have been pretty much a chore for me (just like Turok Evolution). I have only ever really experienced a boss that is actually quite enjoyable to beat up a few times in my gaming life which to me is quite shameful and proves that game companies aren’t doing enough research in to games that have already been made like it. I mean when Perfect Dark was made I can bet my life they looked at Golden Eye and said what made that such a good game? Why can they do that with all games every game that is produced? That would make the industry move faster towards producing more quality games.
Anyways thanks for reading (if you could be bothered)

Fosbe
Thu 19/09/02 at 17:56
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Bosses pretty much everyone in the country will have one some time in their life, but that doesn't matter. As this topic is about the bosses in games which you have to defeat. Now most games have bosses, there are selections that don’t but we aren’t looking at thoughs. Now the other thing that gets me is that I believe bosses are a very important part of a game, and the thing is no one ever talks about them, why?

Well, what in the world makes a decent boss? In some games you have to face a boss at the end of every level, a few of these could are Mario and Lylat Wars. I believe these games have made good use of them and not made things too silly. As some games do, I mean in my time I have played some games with the bosses being so hard I couldn’t defeat. Now what happens to a gamer when playing a game and they come across a boss who is too difficult and they can’t defeat, they stop playing the game. So I believe that there is a bad side to every game with to many bosses that are to easy or hard. Another thing is that bosses sometimes can be so easy its dull *cough* Spiderman*cough*. I don’t mind games where at the beginning the bosses are so easy your grandma could beat um up, as I feel this gives the player a chance to get to know the controls and feel this game is pretty cool. If any of you actually sit down wants completing a game and read the names of the HOLY PEOPLE who made the game they all mostly seem to have their own specific job, am I right? Well what about a man who study’s bosses and goes around poking at games and looking at the good quality’s and the bad quality’s of a boss? Then once he has done this make a boss that everyone would enjoy? I have looked at the names of people’s jobs for decades and I haven’t seen one saying boss designer and programmer.

When did bosses turn up? Um does anyone know? As computer games started out so simply, like hit a ball at bricks and make them go away style of games when did they ever think about adding bosses to the games? Was it when suddenly graphics got better and games improved? Remember super Mario on the nes? To me that’s the game that got me psyched about games and they had a few bosses in there all pretty pants to me now but back then they were gods!! Can any of you older gamers remember when these bosses were put in? Now would it have made any difference to the games we are playing now if no one had thought up bosses for computer games?
I mean we wouldn’t have so many games like Mario and Lylat wars (as you see my imagination is running wild with all the games I could have chosen). So many of you talk about revolutionary in gaming and about how graphics and speed and all that mumbo jumbo have improved but you never really talk about how much things inside games have changed and how many things were revolutionary in the actual way of what was in the game. I personally think that when the first boss was put in to a game that it was one of the biggest revolutionary things to happen to gaming. There are others but I don’t know about them maybe you could enlighten me.

The perfect boss? I think not most of you will think. Most games with bosses that I have experienced have been pretty much a chore for me (just like Turok Evolution). I have only ever really experienced a boss that is actually quite enjoyable to beat up a few times in my gaming life which to me is quite shameful and proves that game companies aren’t doing enough research in to games that have already been made like it. I mean when Perfect Dark was made I can bet my life they looked at Golden Eye and said what made that such a good game? Why can they do that with all games every game that is produced? That would make the industry move faster towards producing more quality games.
Anyways thanks for reading (if you could be bothered)

Fosbe
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:01
Regular
"funky blitzkreig"
the only goo boss I can think of was the asteroid in Maniac Mansion, because he left purple slime everywhere...

:-D
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:01
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Do you want to know the sad thing? I enjoyed writing it.
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:02
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Nice topic.

About 'when did bosses arive'...

HELLO?!

SPACE INVADERS!
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:03
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Mr. Happy wrote:
> the only goo boss I can think of was the asteroid in Maniac Mansion,
> because he left purple slime everywhere...
>
> :-D

LOL *runs off to find Maniac Mansion*
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:05
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Very good Fos! I smell bacon, carrott's and a GAD!:D
Regular
"ProGolfer"
El blokey wrote:
> Nice topic.
>
> About 'when did bosses arive'...
>
> HELLO?!
>
> SPACE INVADERS!

*Turns off Astroid game and runs for pc*
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Fairly good post.

El blokey said it - Invaders of da Space, man!

:_D
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:07
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Cubist wrote:
> Very good Fos! I smell bacon, carrott's and a GAD!:D

KISS OF DEATH! KISS OF DEATH!
Thu 19/09/02 at 18:28
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Can we have a docter for El Blokey please?!?!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.