GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"My revolution"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 03/11/05 at 22:22
Regular
Fortune favours the brave.

Or so they say.

And there is no denying the bravery of Nintendo’s next generation games machine. It is the last hope to the disillusioned Nintendo fan. Some say the last hope for Nintendo in general.

Make more games. We cry. Attract more third parties. We beg. Release games quicker. We plead and most of all don’t ever let us down.

The Gamecube is a failure.

There have been good games. Pikmin, Prime, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4… I could make a list of good games. But there were good games on the Dreamcast. Gamecube software is disappearing from even the main game retailers. With the X-box 360 just around the corner I doubt Nintendo will have any space left at all.

There are more games being released for the now well outdated GBA SP than there is for the Gamecube next year.

Trading a Gamecube into GAME will get you £20. A GBA SP, £30.

The Twilight Princess will be a fitting farewell to the ailing console. To the ailing company. A company out muscled and outgunned by a far superior racket of multi-media conglomerates. When Nintendo ruled the gaming world the game companies were small. You don’t get much bigger than Microsoft and Sony.

As Gamecube sales sink lower and lower, as Sony finally decide to destroy the Gameboy franchise for good and as Microsoft muscle Nintendo’s third party support away from them… Nintendo make the decision they always needed to make.

They needed to change. Their market is under rule by the biggest companies in the world. They are losing their fanbase and there is no longer any room for a third competitor.

The need to make room.

Enter the Nintendo DS. Instead of facing down the challenge from Sony, Nintendo side-stepped them. It is perfectly believable Nintendo will fight them head on in the future, but for now Nintendo’s plans are different. The DS is different. It is very different. It will appeal to different people than the PSP…. even different people than the SP. In Japan it is introducing new gamers to a new medium. It is fresh to use. There are no complex analogue sticks, there is no mass of buttons or confusing 3D space. We have a simple console, with both complex and simple games.

To introduce new gamers you need to realise what puts them off. As veteran players we know how to yield dual analogue controller and input the correct series of buttons in order to successfully play a game.

My mother doesn’t. My mother is a non-gamer.

The DS is a piece of Nintendo branded genius. It is selling well and selling to people who have never owned a game machine in their life.

The Revolution has its critics. Critics who don’t understand.

It is a remote controller. New gamers can relate to the remote control, new gamers can get to grips with a simple mechanism like this. And old gamers are interested in discovering it. Just to try something new.

You won’t get third party support. Ha, how little you know. EA, Activision, THQ, Ubi-soft will all add gimmicks to their games and use the “shell” controller. But there are more third parties out there my friend. Lionheart, PC game designers at heart, are licking their lips. Valve surely are too. In fact a wealth of PC designers will notice Nintendo. But not just them. Grasshopper studio, the makers of Killer 7, are exactly who Nintendo want to attract. Small development studios who want to create something fresh. Something new that’ll give them a name, gain them some money. A new genre, a new piece of gaming perfection. Something clever. There will be thousands of Grasshopper esq. Development studio’s dying to get their hands on Nintendo’s piece of kit.

If you are worried about EA and Activision then you’re missing the point. Part of joining the revolution is saying goodbye to the past.

The games will be gimmicks Nah, some games will. Some games will be short, use the controller for a stupid reason… some games will be crap. But that is all part of the experiment. Some games will hit and others will miss and everyone will learn from the good games and the bad. And Nintendo will be the one on the front line, testing the new concepts to their limits and then inviting their allies to do the same.

Graphically inferior with no HD-TV Matt from IGN can lick my balls. The whole point of the revolution is to go back to basics. How is HD back to basics? How is that enabling a cheap affordable machine? So caught up in the latest technology to notice that Nintendo are going against this. Who cares if the graphics aren’t as good as the 360? If you care get a PS3 or a high end PC. It is critical comments like this that make me want to cry!

It won’t beat Sony or Microsoft Oh it might. Especially with the pair going toe to toe like they are. Ripping strips and fans from each other. Whilst Nintendo are building a totally new consortium of gamers. Gamers interested in something new to go along with their PS3. New gamers entirely. Nintendo fans… the Revolution is not in the same department of either Microsoft or Sony. More so than the Gamecube ever was. The Revolution’s games will be totally new and people will want to play on them too. Even the Sony and Microsoft fans.

Fortune does indeed favour the brave. And Nintendo are being brave. Backed into the corner by their more skilled and more industry experienced rivals Nintendo had no choice but to fight back.

Fight back with some of the greatest minds in the gaming world.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Wed 09/11/05 at 22:05
Regular
Just a little.
Wed 09/11/05 at 21:31
Regular
"8==="
Taking into account the different currency strengths that might make uk games more expensive.
Wed 09/11/05 at 21:16
Regular
Games: RRP $49.99
RRP £39.99
Wed 09/11/05 at 18:10
Regular
"8==="
Your Honour wrote:
> Thankfully that doesn't happen with games. $50 I belive is the RRP in
> the states, and you can get them over here for £30 usually.

This does seem to be the case.

But considering the currency difference they are about equal, I think.

Really depends on if you can get the same stuff for 60p here as you can get for $1 in the states.
Wed 09/11/05 at 15:55
Regular
$200 states and £130 UK.

Actually!

EDIT: Damn you Strafio!
Wed 09/11/05 at 13:50
Regular
Whitestripes DS wrote:
> Yep, I believe the GC launched at $150 in the US and £150 in the
> UK.

Actually, wasn't it $200 in the US?
We were going to get it for £150 but it got reduced to £130.
Maybe my memory is fuzzy...
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:50
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Revo for me

Ninty FTW
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:38
Regular
Thankfully that doesn't happen with games. $50 I belive is the RRP in the states, and you can get them over here for £30 usually.

Anyone who pays more than £35 for a new release, unless it's a special edition (obviously), is a mug.
Tue 08/11/05 at 22:20
Regular
Yep, I believe the GC launched at $150 in the US and £150 in the UK.
Tue 08/11/05 at 21:48
Regular
"8==="
That's standard practice.

Games that cost $40 cost £40 over here.

Same goes for consoles.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.