GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"server problem"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/09/02 at 17:53
Regular
Right, Supanames isn't a bad server, i'mjust having some problems although i've got absolutly no idea what could be wrong.

my dilema:
I upload a completly new page onto the server (ftp is same as always, nice and fast) and the page loads perfectly, I then edit the page from my hdd and upload it again, I look at the page and it hasn't changed at all. I then find about an hour or so later that the page is updated.

Is this a server problem? everything else seems fine, all my other pages load perfectly, it's just when I try and update something.
Wed 18/09/02 at 17:21
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fog wrote:
> Thanks Garin I'm pretty sure it all works now, must have been the ISP
> setting some new stuff up.
> Still can't understand why a new file would upload properly and an
> updated file wouldn't... *shrugs*

Ok...
You connect to your isp and you enter a url in your browser. If your isp runs some sort of proxy server for handling browser then this proxy server will get the page for you and then return it to you. But it will also keep a copy of that page itself. If click refresh on your browser, then your page requests gets sent to the proxy server again. It sees that its already got a copy of that page itself thats only a few minutes old. So it just returns to you its copy of the page without bothering to go grab the page from the actual site where the page is hosted. And they'll be some arbitrary time out value on everything it caches, so once a page is eg 60 minutes old, then next time somebody requests that page it goes and grabs a new version.

One isp I've noticed web caching on is freeserve, but only sometimes. Would appear to be a matter of luck on connecting whether you a connection that uses it.
Wed 18/09/02 at 16:50
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thanks Garin I'm pretty sure it all works now, must have been the ISP setting some new stuff up.
Still can't understand why a new file would upload properly and an updated file wouldn't... *shrugs*
Wed 18/09/02 at 10:07
Regular
""
Does the meta tag only work, for example, when I'm trying to access FOGs page from here? Don't think it applies to web servers, does it?

I get this problem and a tech support guy I was talking to said that my updated page will always take time to get replicated around the various web servers.
Tue 17/09/02 at 21:38
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Fog wrote:
> cheers Garin, isn't there an easier way though? ;)

Its out of your hands somewhat how your isp behaves. There are ways around the isp cache, I think for instance you can force it to retrieve the latest version. No clue how though. :)
But I think such solutions aren't any easier that what I suggested, ie put a ? after the link and type anything to make it like its a new page its not got before.
If you're using a scripting language for your pages, something I tend to do is generate a random number and append it all links on the page to make sure web caches always get the latest versions. Of course that doesn't help with refresh... :)
Tue 17/09/02 at 21:26
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Whooo! wrote:
> Most hosters do it, just depends on the amount of time between the
> refreshes...

Guess all the web hosting companies I've used and worked for must be in the minority then. :)
Tue 17/09/02 at 21:01
Regular
"How Handy."
Most hosters do it, just depends on the amount of time between the refreshes...
Tue 17/09/02 at 20:59
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
cheers Garin, isn't there an easier way though? ;)
Tue 17/09/02 at 20:30
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
Its not a problem with your web host I believe. Never even heard of a web hosting provider doing as Whooo mentioned to be honest.
The most likely cause I think is that its your isp caching results of your browsing. So when you request the page its just retrieving it from the isp's cache as opposed to going to the actual site and retrieving the page.
You can test it by adding a query string to your url. If your page doesn't change even though you've uploaded a new version, trying adding something to url eg, you wanted
http://www.fogtest.com/test.html
try
http://www.fogtest.com/test.html?test=true

Of course, depends how smart the cache is. :)
Tue 17/09/02 at 19:06
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
Thats sounds rubbish but it's not what i've got, see when I upload a new page or image, it uploads straight away and I can view it, whereas for instance if I upload an edited page whch is already on the server, I just view the old page.

If what you say is true everything would be updated on the hour not just the updated ones.
Tue 17/09/02 at 18:18
Regular
"How Handy."
It's not so much a problem as a feature, when you upload, your not uploading to the webserver, your uploading to a seperate server, and the webserver then updates the files on the internet every hour or so. Just makes the server a bit more secure..

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.