GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Censorship (P tothe T)"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 25/11/00 at 15:45
Regular
Game censorship by ELSPA or the BBFC has been around for ages, but a lot of people argue that it should be abolished. Doom was one of the first games that I played, and yes, I really enjoyed it, but at no point did it twist my mind in to believing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable in real life. Kingpin is a more recent example of the tabloid outcry at violent games, but it's pretty simple to my mind - If you don't like it, don't play it. Maybe more games like Soldier Of Fortune and Half-Life should be released - choose what (if any) violence options you want.
A game shouldn't rely on violence for sales, but it can help to add realism or make a dull game more interesting. A good game will have a solid foundation of gameplay and then the violence built on that.
What content is included in a game, or even whether or not the game should be released should not be decided by a single group of people. Gamers should be allowed the right to choose what they want, and by all means, offer a suggestion (For example, the original heretic had a 3/4 gore rating), but don't force it in to a certain bracket. To play a game and then go out and mimic the actions in real life, you need to be a disturbed person in the first place. As is now well quoted, "Playing games doesn't make you a killer, but killers do play games". Don't penalise the rest of us due to the actions of a few individuals. I understand that the family of victims need someone to blame when the odd person does commit a serious offence, but a couple of decades ago, the film industry was being berated with the same accusations. Hopefully this will pass on to some other media soon so that we gamers can have a break. I'd be interested to here what other people think on this subject.
Sat 25/11/00 at 16:42
Stop arguing people, Darkness you can repost topics if You want But Just make Sure you Head the Topic like this

THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN COPIED FROM THE ORIGINAL POSTED BY ----Whoever----on this date,

You can then discuss the topic if you want, Some old topics are good but just get ignored 1st time round, so I dont see a problem aslong as you state in BOLD THAT THE MESSAGE IS A REPOST OF SOMEBODY ELSES WORK.
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:49
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Derrrrrrrr. I'm not trying to WIN!!!!!!!! I'm popping old messages to the top!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to cry! mAll my pop to the tops have been dissed!!!!!
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:48
Regular
Darkness you are a cheat, wait till ant finds out!
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:47
Regular
I think Mr Darkness has discovered the older posts button.

All these are posts that have been on before. I recognised the relationships one, because I wrote it.
:)
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:47
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
I would kill you but they made it illegal for some reason.
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:46
Regular
Copied yes, idiot yes.
Sat 25/11/00 at 15:45
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
Game censorship by ELSPA or the BBFC has been around for ages, but a lot of people argue that it should be abolished. Doom was one of the first games that I played, and yes, I really enjoyed it, but at no point did it twist my mind in to believing that this kind of behaviour is acceptable in real life. Kingpin is a more recent example of the tabloid outcry at violent games, but it's pretty simple to my mind - If you don't like it, don't play it. Maybe more games like Soldier Of Fortune and Half-Life should be released - choose what (if any) violence options you want.
A game shouldn't rely on violence for sales, but it can help to add realism or make a dull game more interesting. A good game will have a solid foundation of gameplay and then the violence built on that.
What content is included in a game, or even whether or not the game should be released should not be decided by a single group of people. Gamers should be allowed the right to choose what they want, and by all means, offer a suggestion (For example, the original heretic had a 3/4 gore rating), but don't force it in to a certain bracket. To play a game and then go out and mimic the actions in real life, you need to be a disturbed person in the first place. As is now well quoted, "Playing games doesn't make you a killer, but killers do play games". Don't penalise the rest of us due to the actions of a few individuals. I understand that the family of victims need someone to blame when the odd person does commit a serious offence, but a couple of decades ago, the film industry was being berated with the same accusations. Hopefully this will pass on to some other media soon so that we gamers can have a break. I'd be interested to here what other people think on this subject.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.