GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"PS2 to be Tivo clone"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 17/09/02 at 13:04
Regular
Apparently a clever company has invented a hardware/software kit that allows your PS2 to record tv much like the Tivo. Here is the catch, you need a PS2, PC, and this adaptor kit to do it.

Microsoft are also talking about making a special version of XBox with Tivo like recording built it.

I still think that this sort of hybrid technology is not what people want. PS2 and DVD was different because PS2 uses DVD as its main media for games - its not some sort of bolt on extra. But with things like adaptors, or special hybrid machines i think the product gets lost and people get confused as to what it is. Plus, adding extra's like tivo recording to a PS2, CameCube, or XBox, puts the final price right up.

Link to orginal info.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2122350,00.html
Tue 17/09/02 at 14:09
Regular
"A man with a stick"
I've got a VCR to record TV programmes, and I've got a PS2 to play games, which basically means, I couldn't give a crap about this news. Sony should spend more time on it's games than this useless junk.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:27
It's a GAMES console, have Sony forgotten this?

Since when did recording TV matter.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:10
Regular
I certainly agree with that comment, the more functions and bolt on extras you give a product, then the more dieluted and confusing the meaning of the produce becomes. For the playstation this is not so much of a problem due to brand recognition however for the other two this would be more of a problem.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:04
Regular
Apparently a clever company has invented a hardware/software kit that allows your PS2 to record tv much like the Tivo. Here is the catch, you need a PS2, PC, and this adaptor kit to do it.

Microsoft are also talking about making a special version of XBox with Tivo like recording built it.

I still think that this sort of hybrid technology is not what people want. PS2 and DVD was different because PS2 uses DVD as its main media for games - its not some sort of bolt on extra. But with things like adaptors, or special hybrid machines i think the product gets lost and people get confused as to what it is. Plus, adding extra's like tivo recording to a PS2, CameCube, or XBox, puts the final price right up.

Link to orginal info.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/story/0,,t269-s2122350,00.html

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.