GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Win... AND Lose!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 16/09/02 at 20:05
Regular
We're all aware of 'The Rare Situation' as it is right now. Rareware - the Brittish Twycross-based developers who kept the N64 alive - are on their way into Bill Gates tight-fisted hands and his multi-million-dollar Microsoft Empire. But as of now, the multi-million-dollar deal is still yet to have been completed. But the Gatesmeister is expected to announce something big on the matter within the next week or-so, and let's all be honest for a second, Rare are leaving Nintendo for bigger bucks with the 'soft.

Rareware are going, and soon they will be gone.
Looks like Microsoft have won this first war with Nintendo.

So, what will they be getting then?
This is something that X-Box fans will be dying to know - and can you blame them!? You saw THOSE games on the N64, you saw GoldenEye, you played-through Banjo Kazooie twice from start-to-finnish, and you laughed-out-loud when you first saw Conker's Bad Fur Day. And then there was Banjo Tooie, DK64, Perfect Dark (of course!) and the 'different' Blast Corps. All these Rareware games and more helped Nintendo's fans and N64 owners to breathe during those 'difficult' times.
The X-Box may be a totally different machine and all but fans of all games companys are only expecting to see much-more of the same on their low-priced boxes of power.

And it is this that brings me to my point.... who's to say that X-Box owners will still be able to see those classic N64 games continued once the Rare deal is completed??

Starfox Adventures is set to be Rare's final GameCube title after years of development on-going from it's time when it was set to be another over-priced N64 title.
Rare had one-or-two other titles lined-up for Future Releases for Nintendo's cute-'n'-cuddly little Cube, but they have since either vanished into extention or been cancelled full-stop. Perfect Dark Zero (the follow-up to the N64 classic) was set to be one of these games, along with the impressive and original Kameo: Elements of Power and a few more DK and Diddy games - which were all put through the shredder recently.
Just like with Rare's N64 titles, the afore mentioned Future Releases were games we simply couldn't ignore as GameCube fans. And it seems that X-Box fans feel have opinions of a very similar nature - especially with Perfect Dark. Yes, the N64 may have been yet-another so-called 'Kiddy Console' to have come from Nintendo but no-one could ignore the sheer-brilliance of Perfect Dark after GoldenEye, and that is why all of Gatesy's minions cannot contain their excitement as they await the arrival of this 'expected X-clusive' First Person Shooter.

If Rare's work was succesfull on the N64 then it was all down to the fact that they were attracting the attention of the right kind-of audience in Nintendo fans, and Nintendo fans only. As you will know, Nintys are completely different people to the SONYS and Microsofts (?) of this world, each with their own different and personal opinions, views and prefferences on their console's games.
Nintendo aim their games towards kids, apparently, but all those Mario and Zelda adventures really are suitable for a gamer of any age. Where-as all the others (exclusing SEGA) seem to aim their best games towards the older generations of gamers.

So.... if the X-Box is more adult than the 'kiddy' N64 and GameCube, then surely Rare games - which have been succesfull on all of Nintendo's consoles to-date - will fail to please all X-Box owners who will be expecting nothing but the Perfect Darks and GoldenEyes of the past??

After all, why would the so-called 'adult' X-Box gamers want a load of colourfull and kiddy Platform games like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie when they'd want something more adult like ones of the FPS's, Jet Force Gemini, or maybe even Conker?
Surely Rare would just be wasting their time - and Bill Gates' money - by putting all their hard graft into games that won't sell to the large majority of X-Box owners. And so we can assume that Banjo and Kazooie will be no more. *sob* :'(
With Halo topping the console's charts and the likes of Unreal Tournament and Halo 2 coming-up within the next 6 months, X-Box owners who love FPS's will be in for a real treat - especially if Perfect Dark Zero was to arrive with that lot also.
So what if the fans would love it, would it really be the same on another console??
DK and his Kong Crew wouldn't, and the die-hard P-Dark fans could feel as lost as a Spy Cam when trying to play in the game like they did on the '64 with that enormous Official X-Box controller. It just wouldn't work as well as the Z-trigger system.
By all-means, I have no reason to argue against the fact that the graphics could be superb thanks the Box's power, and with a massive Hard Drive and some smart on-line plans, it could make a success if it was to go on-line.
But the games itself would be set in a totally different context.

It is all this that has lead me to believe that if the GameCube can't have Perfect Dark 0, then neither will the X-Box (neccesarily), even once the Rare deal has gone through. Microsoft may have won the tug-of-war and will be getting Rareware's assistance, but the games we've come to know and love from the Britts will remain no-more than pieces of history, left in the past.

But of course, I could be wrong.... which doesn't happen THAT often... :P
Either way, i'm sure X-Box fans will be getting some great games that'll be right for them as they have the men who know how to do good things the right way.
Mon 16/09/02 at 20:05
Regular
"Long time no see!"
We're all aware of 'The Rare Situation' as it is right now. Rareware - the Brittish Twycross-based developers who kept the N64 alive - are on their way into Bill Gates tight-fisted hands and his multi-million-dollar Microsoft Empire. But as of now, the multi-million-dollar deal is still yet to have been completed. But the Gatesmeister is expected to announce something big on the matter within the next week or-so, and let's all be honest for a second, Rare are leaving Nintendo for bigger bucks with the 'soft.

Rareware are going, and soon they will be gone.
Looks like Microsoft have won this first war with Nintendo.

So, what will they be getting then?
This is something that X-Box fans will be dying to know - and can you blame them!? You saw THOSE games on the N64, you saw GoldenEye, you played-through Banjo Kazooie twice from start-to-finnish, and you laughed-out-loud when you first saw Conker's Bad Fur Day. And then there was Banjo Tooie, DK64, Perfect Dark (of course!) and the 'different' Blast Corps. All these Rareware games and more helped Nintendo's fans and N64 owners to breathe during those 'difficult' times.
The X-Box may be a totally different machine and all but fans of all games companys are only expecting to see much-more of the same on their low-priced boxes of power.

And it is this that brings me to my point.... who's to say that X-Box owners will still be able to see those classic N64 games continued once the Rare deal is completed??

Starfox Adventures is set to be Rare's final GameCube title after years of development on-going from it's time when it was set to be another over-priced N64 title.
Rare had one-or-two other titles lined-up for Future Releases for Nintendo's cute-'n'-cuddly little Cube, but they have since either vanished into extention or been cancelled full-stop. Perfect Dark Zero (the follow-up to the N64 classic) was set to be one of these games, along with the impressive and original Kameo: Elements of Power and a few more DK and Diddy games - which were all put through the shredder recently.
Just like with Rare's N64 titles, the afore mentioned Future Releases were games we simply couldn't ignore as GameCube fans. And it seems that X-Box fans feel have opinions of a very similar nature - especially with Perfect Dark. Yes, the N64 may have been yet-another so-called 'Kiddy Console' to have come from Nintendo but no-one could ignore the sheer-brilliance of Perfect Dark after GoldenEye, and that is why all of Gatesy's minions cannot contain their excitement as they await the arrival of this 'expected X-clusive' First Person Shooter.

If Rare's work was succesfull on the N64 then it was all down to the fact that they were attracting the attention of the right kind-of audience in Nintendo fans, and Nintendo fans only. As you will know, Nintys are completely different people to the SONYS and Microsofts (?) of this world, each with their own different and personal opinions, views and prefferences on their console's games.
Nintendo aim their games towards kids, apparently, but all those Mario and Zelda adventures really are suitable for a gamer of any age. Where-as all the others (exclusing SEGA) seem to aim their best games towards the older generations of gamers.

So.... if the X-Box is more adult than the 'kiddy' N64 and GameCube, then surely Rare games - which have been succesfull on all of Nintendo's consoles to-date - will fail to please all X-Box owners who will be expecting nothing but the Perfect Darks and GoldenEyes of the past??

After all, why would the so-called 'adult' X-Box gamers want a load of colourfull and kiddy Platform games like Banjo Kazooie and Tooie when they'd want something more adult like ones of the FPS's, Jet Force Gemini, or maybe even Conker?
Surely Rare would just be wasting their time - and Bill Gates' money - by putting all their hard graft into games that won't sell to the large majority of X-Box owners. And so we can assume that Banjo and Kazooie will be no more. *sob* :'(
With Halo topping the console's charts and the likes of Unreal Tournament and Halo 2 coming-up within the next 6 months, X-Box owners who love FPS's will be in for a real treat - especially if Perfect Dark Zero was to arrive with that lot also.
So what if the fans would love it, would it really be the same on another console??
DK and his Kong Crew wouldn't, and the die-hard P-Dark fans could feel as lost as a Spy Cam when trying to play in the game like they did on the '64 with that enormous Official X-Box controller. It just wouldn't work as well as the Z-trigger system.
By all-means, I have no reason to argue against the fact that the graphics could be superb thanks the Box's power, and with a massive Hard Drive and some smart on-line plans, it could make a success if it was to go on-line.
But the games itself would be set in a totally different context.

It is all this that has lead me to believe that if the GameCube can't have Perfect Dark 0, then neither will the X-Box (neccesarily), even once the Rare deal has gone through. Microsoft may have won the tug-of-war and will be getting Rareware's assistance, but the games we've come to know and love from the Britts will remain no-more than pieces of history, left in the past.

But of course, I could be wrong.... which doesn't happen THAT often... :P
Either way, i'm sure X-Box fans will be getting some great games that'll be right for them as they have the men who know how to do good things the right way.
Mon 16/09/02 at 20:13
Regular
"gsybe you!"
If Diddy King Racing 2 came out, it wouldn't be kiddy. it would be 'cool'.

Becasue its on the XBox. So.

'Ludiscrous!' is all I can say, in the words of my drunk friend!
Mon 16/09/02 at 20:21
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Popostrous.
Ridiculous.
Outlandish even!
But certainly not Ludiscrous
Mon 16/09/02 at 20:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Ah, but that's just your opinion...
There are many other X-Box owners and X-Box owners out there too you know, and they may feel very differently about Diddy Kong Racing and that it IS just another 'kiddy' game on the wrong format.
And so it wouldn't sell.

And if that was how the majority of X-Box owners felt then it will be un-neccesary for Rare to keep on banging-out these old 'kiddy' classics and more when they'd just be filling-up empty spaces on the shelves.

See what i'm getting at now?
And I take it you are an X-Box owner then?
Mon 16/09/02 at 21:04
Regular
Aren't we all getting a bit worked up? Where's Nintendo or Rare's official statement? It could all be a publicity stunt.
Mon 16/09/02 at 21:22
Regular
Hmmm...

The Xbox pad is suited to Perfect Dark.
It's shoulder triggers worked a treat when I played Halo.

Most of Rare's projects, like Kameo will be directly transported to the Xbox.
Others, ones that are Nintendo owned franchises (like Donkey Kong) will also be ported, only with the Nintendo owned material replaced with Rareware material.

As for the "kiddie" games, the MS fans love them really.
Most of us would rave on about Halo a lot more if it was a Gamecube game, and they'd love Mario and all these cartoony "kiddie" games if they were Xbox bound. It's one of those "bias" things...
Tue 17/09/02 at 12:28
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Strafex wrote:
"As for the "kiddie" games, the MS fans love them really. Most of us would rave on about Halo a lot more if it was a Gamecube game, and they'd love Mario and all these cartoony "kiddie" games if they were Xbox bound. It's one of those "bias" things..."

But with the majority of X-Box owners I know, they're all excited about Halo 2 a lot more than Blinx the Timesweeper or even Toe Jam and Earl.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:22
Regular
"NJAN"
Solskjær wrote:
"It is all this that has lead me to believe that if the GameCube can't have Perfect Dark 0, then neither will the X-Box (neccesarily), even once the Rare deal has gone through. Microsoft may have won the tug-of-war and will be getting Rareware's assistance, but the games we've come to know and love from the Britts will remain no-more than pieces of history, left in the past."

why do you think that perfect dark 0 will not see the day on the x-box? i think that if banjo-kazooie were to be released on the x-box if might not be as well accepted than if it were to be released on say the ngc. but to say that perfect dark 0 would not be given to x-box owners is just not right. if pd0 were to be released on the x-box, theoretically, it should do better than for the ngc. with the demographic stuff and all.

i dont know, maybe i got you wrong, i hope i did. but perfect dark 0 being published by m$ would be a dream come true for all x-box fans out there.

Amos.
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:29
Regular
"Plain Misunderstood"
THE XBOX controller is NOT suited for PDZero, what a complete retard you are!
Tue 17/09/02 at 13:47
Regular
"Long time no see!"
It's just that Perfect Dark worked so well for the N64 as it arrived after the superb GoldenEye, while it worked and played in a very similar style and way.

I'm pretty sure also that Perfect Dark Zero would be a different game to Halo - perhaps too different for the likings of X-Box fans who'd preffer the gameplay styles of the X-Box's Halo rather than the N64's Perfect Dark. I suppose you could also say that it may not be right for the GameCube and it's controller also - but don't ask about the PS2! :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.