GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Bots!! Bad ass or Bad idea"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/09/02 at 15:14
Regular
I think the gaming world is a wonderful place, where all ethnic orgins can play online games together in peace and harmoney *starts singing cum-bi-yay".

Thats what life would be in an ideal world, but in this place we call the REAL world, where people come online to blow each others ships/heads/robots into oblivion. Its also an excuse to escape parents/wifes/mother in laws.

But the evolution of bots (AI players) is getting slightly out of hand. I know why people play online, because playing against another human is more envigorating, and more spontanioius. But with the vast growth in AI, soon gameing bots will surpass those of human players, and will be much more interesting to play againt, than playing against each other.

I dont spend much time on the internet *coughs* and so I go offline and play my Jedi Knight 2 game against 5 bots at a time. Its loads of fun, and i've found the AI, if slightly limited is as satasfying as an online game.

Soon I think bots will replace the need for online options, except in MPOGS such as Phntasty Star Online and Ultima Online, these will still survive, and multiplayers maybe. But maybe an option will be launched for multiple gamers, to play against bots, instead of each other.

Think about it!!!

ElfMan
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:14
Regular
"INSERT WITTY COMMEN"
I think the gaming world is a wonderful place, where all ethnic orgins can play online games together in peace and harmoney *starts singing cum-bi-yay".

Thats what life would be in an ideal world, but in this place we call the REAL world, where people come online to blow each others ships/heads/robots into oblivion. Its also an excuse to escape parents/wifes/mother in laws.

But the evolution of bots (AI players) is getting slightly out of hand. I know why people play online, because playing against another human is more envigorating, and more spontanioius. But with the vast growth in AI, soon gameing bots will surpass those of human players, and will be much more interesting to play againt, than playing against each other.

I dont spend much time on the internet *coughs* and so I go offline and play my Jedi Knight 2 game against 5 bots at a time. Its loads of fun, and i've found the AI, if slightly limited is as satasfying as an online game.

Soon I think bots will replace the need for online options, except in MPOGS such as Phntasty Star Online and Ultima Online, these will still survive, and multiplayers maybe. But maybe an option will be launched for multiple gamers, to play against bots, instead of each other.

Think about it!!!

ElfMan
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:52
It should be in another froum, I think.
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:53
Regular
How did you get away with putting "ass" in the thread title?
Hmmmm ah well.
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:58
Because bad donkeys exist?
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:22
"For the horde!!!!"
bots are decent, if some of your friends can't come around then just fill the empty slots with bots and you can still have large death matches. On-line play isn't so great because lag, disconnections and some times cheating can ruin the flow and speed of a good match.

4 players = quarter of a screen

online play = lag and people remove themselfs

bots = mayhem thats fast and lagless plus they play against you at any time of the day.
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:48
Regular
"Keep Cool!!!"
Some games like Jedi knite 2 and Unreal Tournament 2003 have a great system for bots. You can play all day against them.

Bots are good:

Saying you have a slow internet connection (Lets say 56k) you won't be able to play most online games, well you can but with alot of lag. The Bots then give you a fast paced game which is just like if you were playing it online. It has the same feel to it as is does playing against other Humans. I reckon they put in Bots so people with slow internet connections can experiance the full thrill of Multiplayer games.

Bots are bad:

If you have a fast connection (Lets say 1mb Broardband) Then you have no use for Bots as you can just go online and play with the full speed and exitment of the offline mode without the aid of Bots and just play against around 31 other Humans (On most modern games out now).

Thoses are my two reasons for bots.
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:00
Regular
I think games would be rubbish without bots, it would be the death to many games as multi player features so heavily and if you havent got mates which dont sleep or drink than your stuffed.

Online forgeting the whole lag thing they would still be good as then people can be in the same team and demolish a team of bots.
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:03
Regular
"Keep Cool!!!"
Boz wrote:
> Online forgeting the whole lag thing they would still be good as then
> people can be in the same team and demolish a team of bots.

Wouldn't you rather demolish a team of Humans?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.