GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Virtual reality- with Fred."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 15/09/02 at 14:08
Regular
Virtual Reality- A concept that seems far away. Although, in truth, it is, there is nothing stopping us 'pretending' now, is there? I decided to test various affects of games with a Test Subject, aptly named Fred. Fred is a Quiet man, prime for research. Now, over a set period of time, Fred will be submitted to games, and only games, and we will see what affects it has on him. I teamed up with a Group of Scientists, who were interested in my experiment. This is what we found.

(1) Sonic *Insert number here*

After playing Sonic for 8 days straight, Fred traveled outside his house *shock* and went to the hair dressers, where he had his hair dyed blue, and had extensions on his back. He then nipped across the street, to the local Sports shop, and bought a new pair of Nike trainers, which he sprayed red, with a white stripe through the middle. After he had done this, Fred set off for Alton Towers, and as we followed him, he seemed to be trying to, what he called, 'Spin Attack' various people down the street, urging them to, "Release the cute animals inside of you, robots!"
When he arrived at Alton Towers, he proceeded to run through the Park as fast as he could, running through loop the loops on roller coasters and using Refreshment stands as, "Bumpers". When he reached the other side of Alton Towers, after getting caught up in the Swan Boats, Fred pulled a pose and said, "Yeah, I made it!" Then he pulled out a few onion rings from his pocket, which he had nicked off of an old Lady, and refereed to them as, "Power Rings". After extensive research, we can finally say that the onion rings had no special power, and they would not turn him into "Super Fred". Fred didn't accept this, so he dyed himself gold, and kept muttering, "Shadow, you Collect rings, why I attack the boss!" After he had defeated the 'Boss' (A car) Fred went home and had a shower. As he was washing himself, the gold dye washed away, and we actually heard him shouting, "No! I need more rings!" Whether he was hungry for more Onion rings, we don't know, but it took along time to get him sorted out again.

Test results #1: Test was successful. Fred thought he was Sonic the Hedgehog, and wouldn't accept the truth.
Price of Therapy: £1200.

Now, after Fred had Therapy, which convinced him he was Fred again, we decided to give him 10 days of (2) The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Here is what we recorded:

Fred turned off his N64 and walked around the house, throwing pots at the walls to see if there were any 'Rupees' inside. After realising that there were no rupees in the house, Fred left and went next door, to Bob's house, his friend. He went inside, and started searching his house for rupees. "Hey, that was a Ming vase!" shouted Bob, now quite disturbed by Fred's actions. "Milo, Saria is mine, you keep your Kokiri hands away!" said Fred, snatching a coloured glass plate, and shoving it in his invisible pocket. He then left Bob's house, and after walking through the 'forest', which was actually London, Bob came across a Museum, which he referred to a 'Rupee Shop'. Fred went inside, grabbed a sword and a wooden shield, and gave the man at the ticket office the glass plate, before finally walking out.

Fred traveled on for a while, and came across a horse's Paddock. He asked the Owner that if he were to catch all the chickens for him, would he hand over the Horse. The Owner, who Fred called Talon, objected to Fred's offer, so he nicked the horse and jumped over the walls, where he sped off. He eventually arrived at Buckingham Palace, which he called 'Hyrule Castle' and ran inside, where he entered the Queen's bedroom. The Queen, now shaking at shouting for security, was forced to hand over her prized flute, which Fred called an Ocarina. He then referred to the Queen as 'Princess Zelda' and told her to be careful of Tony Blair, who he called, "Ganondorf". After being arrested and thrown in Jail, we convinced the police to let him go, as we were conducting experiments on him. Fortunately, he was released, where he underwent extensive therapy.

Test results #2: Success, Fred believed he was Link, and though London was Kokiri Forest, The Queen was Princess Zelda and Tony Blair was Ganondorf.
Price of Therapy: £2,400.

When Fred returned home again, we decided to run a last test on him. We gave him a Playstation 2 and a copy of (3) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. 20 days passed, and we thought it was time to unleash him into the world, well, London anyway. As we turned off the Playstation 2, Fred raided his wardrobe and found a plain T-shirt, on which he painted "Quiksilver" and ran outside. He rummaged in his bushes and found a skateboard he had taken off of a Juvenile, intent of grinding his porch step. As Fred left the house, he decided to 'Drop in' from the porch step, and skated off down the street. We placed various items in his path, such as a bench, a traffic cone, an open manhole and a cement mixer, with a red lever placed on top. Fred skated up to the bench, ollied up onto it, and attempted to grind. He had gotten half way across, when he fell off and grazed his knee, before miraculously recovering and skating down the street again. After a while, he encountered the traffic cone. Fred tried to Manual out of the way, but his 'Balance Meter' tipped too far and he fell over, resulting in more pain. He got up, and once again set off down the street. Somehow, he managed to Ollie over the open manhole without any difficulty, and found himself skating towards the cement mixer.

As Fred approached, he ollied up on top of the Cement mixer, and grinded the red leaver, resulting in the cement being released. He got 'Bonus Points' for it, and then ran out of time, before being attacked by the Workers operating the cement mixer.

Test Results #3: Failure: Fred didn't skate like a pro, and barely escaped the angry workers.
Cost of Therapy and Surgery: £4000.

Final results: Success. Fred passed in two of the three areas, which gives us a nice, big, fat PASS stamp on our report.
Final costs: £7800.

So, to conclude, Virtual Reality may be far off, but as Fred showed, it is possible to live the game.

Thanks for reading.

MiCRoCHişS
Sun 15/09/02 at 14:08
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Virtual Reality- A concept that seems far away. Although, in truth, it is, there is nothing stopping us 'pretending' now, is there? I decided to test various affects of games with a Test Subject, aptly named Fred. Fred is a Quiet man, prime for research. Now, over a set period of time, Fred will be submitted to games, and only games, and we will see what affects it has on him. I teamed up with a Group of Scientists, who were interested in my experiment. This is what we found.

(1) Sonic *Insert number here*

After playing Sonic for 8 days straight, Fred traveled outside his house *shock* and went to the hair dressers, where he had his hair dyed blue, and had extensions on his back. He then nipped across the street, to the local Sports shop, and bought a new pair of Nike trainers, which he sprayed red, with a white stripe through the middle. After he had done this, Fred set off for Alton Towers, and as we followed him, he seemed to be trying to, what he called, 'Spin Attack' various people down the street, urging them to, "Release the cute animals inside of you, robots!"
When he arrived at Alton Towers, he proceeded to run through the Park as fast as he could, running through loop the loops on roller coasters and using Refreshment stands as, "Bumpers". When he reached the other side of Alton Towers, after getting caught up in the Swan Boats, Fred pulled a pose and said, "Yeah, I made it!" Then he pulled out a few onion rings from his pocket, which he had nicked off of an old Lady, and refereed to them as, "Power Rings". After extensive research, we can finally say that the onion rings had no special power, and they would not turn him into "Super Fred". Fred didn't accept this, so he dyed himself gold, and kept muttering, "Shadow, you Collect rings, why I attack the boss!" After he had defeated the 'Boss' (A car) Fred went home and had a shower. As he was washing himself, the gold dye washed away, and we actually heard him shouting, "No! I need more rings!" Whether he was hungry for more Onion rings, we don't know, but it took along time to get him sorted out again.

Test results #1: Test was successful. Fred thought he was Sonic the Hedgehog, and wouldn't accept the truth.
Price of Therapy: £1200.

Now, after Fred had Therapy, which convinced him he was Fred again, we decided to give him 10 days of (2) The legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Here is what we recorded:

Fred turned off his N64 and walked around the house, throwing pots at the walls to see if there were any 'Rupees' inside. After realising that there were no rupees in the house, Fred left and went next door, to Bob's house, his friend. He went inside, and started searching his house for rupees. "Hey, that was a Ming vase!" shouted Bob, now quite disturbed by Fred's actions. "Milo, Saria is mine, you keep your Kokiri hands away!" said Fred, snatching a coloured glass plate, and shoving it in his invisible pocket. He then left Bob's house, and after walking through the 'forest', which was actually London, Bob came across a Museum, which he referred to a 'Rupee Shop'. Fred went inside, grabbed a sword and a wooden shield, and gave the man at the ticket office the glass plate, before finally walking out.

Fred traveled on for a while, and came across a horse's Paddock. He asked the Owner that if he were to catch all the chickens for him, would he hand over the Horse. The Owner, who Fred called Talon, objected to Fred's offer, so he nicked the horse and jumped over the walls, where he sped off. He eventually arrived at Buckingham Palace, which he called 'Hyrule Castle' and ran inside, where he entered the Queen's bedroom. The Queen, now shaking at shouting for security, was forced to hand over her prized flute, which Fred called an Ocarina. He then referred to the Queen as 'Princess Zelda' and told her to be careful of Tony Blair, who he called, "Ganondorf". After being arrested and thrown in Jail, we convinced the police to let him go, as we were conducting experiments on him. Fortunately, he was released, where he underwent extensive therapy.

Test results #2: Success, Fred believed he was Link, and though London was Kokiri Forest, The Queen was Princess Zelda and Tony Blair was Ganondorf.
Price of Therapy: £2,400.

When Fred returned home again, we decided to run a last test on him. We gave him a Playstation 2 and a copy of (3) Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3. 20 days passed, and we thought it was time to unleash him into the world, well, London anyway. As we turned off the Playstation 2, Fred raided his wardrobe and found a plain T-shirt, on which he painted "Quiksilver" and ran outside. He rummaged in his bushes and found a skateboard he had taken off of a Juvenile, intent of grinding his porch step. As Fred left the house, he decided to 'Drop in' from the porch step, and skated off down the street. We placed various items in his path, such as a bench, a traffic cone, an open manhole and a cement mixer, with a red lever placed on top. Fred skated up to the bench, ollied up onto it, and attempted to grind. He had gotten half way across, when he fell off and grazed his knee, before miraculously recovering and skating down the street again. After a while, he encountered the traffic cone. Fred tried to Manual out of the way, but his 'Balance Meter' tipped too far and he fell over, resulting in more pain. He got up, and once again set off down the street. Somehow, he managed to Ollie over the open manhole without any difficulty, and found himself skating towards the cement mixer.

As Fred approached, he ollied up on top of the Cement mixer, and grinded the red leaver, resulting in the cement being released. He got 'Bonus Points' for it, and then ran out of time, before being attacked by the Workers operating the cement mixer.

Test Results #3: Failure: Fred didn't skate like a pro, and barely escaped the angry workers.
Cost of Therapy and Surgery: £4000.

Final results: Success. Fred passed in two of the three areas, which gives us a nice, big, fat PASS stamp on our report.
Final costs: £7800.

So, to conclude, Virtual Reality may be far off, but as Fred showed, it is possible to live the game.

Thanks for reading.

MiCRoCHişS
Sun 15/09/02 at 14:33
Regular
"**I'm Disposable**"
An interesting read there bud :)
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:06
Regular
I hate to think what would of happened if he played Bomberman o.O
Sun 15/09/02 at 15:40
Regular
"INSERT WITTY COMMEN"
Oh dear oh dear, and all in the name of science, what is the world coming to!!
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:22
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks for the replies.

:)
Sun 15/09/02 at 16:27
Regular
That was pretty darn good.
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:16
Very...interesting as Kerrang said. Good old Fred....(:)
Sun 15/09/02 at 17:53
Regular
"Sex On Wheels"
Great post chips how are you so good...? **starts looking through chip's permanent records**
Sun 15/09/02 at 19:22
Regular
"Bobba you"
Great post there chips :-)
Sun 15/09/02 at 21:20
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks guys. :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.