GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gaming food for thought"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 14/09/02 at 18:53
Regular
1) Games.
2) Food.
3) Sleep.
4) Games.
5) Food.
6) Sleep.
7) Games.. etc...

This is how pretty much the last few months have gone by, and now that I am going back to uni, I realise that I have forgotten completely how to do any form of work. Heck I even had problems working out how much to pay the delivery guy or some curry the other night.
Is this detrimental effect of gaming 24/7 a good thing or a bad thing? Well, it may seem like a bad thing, but there are a few reasons I think it also could be a good thing:-
a) My reflexes are at least 1.5 times faster,
b) I am now more spatially aware of my surroundings (e.g. I can find my way across the lounge to the telly's remote in the dark,
c) I used to get daily headaches when I started the season of gaming, but now that I have done so much and virtually lived on Paracetamol, I haven't had a headache for weeks
d) It really helps a lot to be good at games, when learning to drive. Though there is the added dimension of using the foot controls, gaming and driving are similar in ways. You (largely) use your hands a lot to do both, and in most games, you require the development of a fairly high degree of accurate control, which you also need in driving. (Note - DO NOT PLAY MARIO KART THEN GO FOR A DRIVING LESSON... I think you can see my point..)
e) Your eyes become more accustomed to staring for long periods of time at a colourful, flashing screen full of rapidly changing patterns - something which can be seen as useful when having to work for hours in front of a computer daily
f) Having your hands and eyes being used constantly when gaming tends to allow your other senses and movements to develop a great deal, for example, I can now play Unreal Tournament across a network, whilst having a video chat to someone (although Windows netmeeting and UT aren't best of friends when running together), as well as talking on my mobile to another person at the same time! Ok that may not sound amazing, but it's quite satisfying to be able to develop the abilities to do a number of things that are particularly complex, all at once.

These are a few reasons why I think such overloading of gaming can be good for you. There are a few more, and I will endeavour to fill you in at a later date with another post detailing them..
What do you all think?
Tue 17/09/02 at 19:27
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
Well, with wonderful games out there, and a whole summer to cane it, I don't see why one's timetable shouldn't be like that... do you?
Mon 16/09/02 at 22:25
Regular
"$hit happens"
1) Games.
2) Food.
3) Sleep.
4) Games.
5) Food.
6) Sleep.
7) Games.. etc...

This is how pretty much the last few months have gone by

Erm, that is sad!
Do you still have friends, or what i mean did you not wana go lay football, or go out watch a movie or get soem AIR!
lol
Mon 16/09/02 at 22:19
Regular
Beating seemingly unbeatable in-game bosses teaches you that anything can be overcome. An essential lesson for life.
Sat 14/09/02 at 18:53
Regular
"The Ocarina of Time"
1) Games.
2) Food.
3) Sleep.
4) Games.
5) Food.
6) Sleep.
7) Games.. etc...

This is how pretty much the last few months have gone by, and now that I am going back to uni, I realise that I have forgotten completely how to do any form of work. Heck I even had problems working out how much to pay the delivery guy or some curry the other night.
Is this detrimental effect of gaming 24/7 a good thing or a bad thing? Well, it may seem like a bad thing, but there are a few reasons I think it also could be a good thing:-
a) My reflexes are at least 1.5 times faster,
b) I am now more spatially aware of my surroundings (e.g. I can find my way across the lounge to the telly's remote in the dark,
c) I used to get daily headaches when I started the season of gaming, but now that I have done so much and virtually lived on Paracetamol, I haven't had a headache for weeks
d) It really helps a lot to be good at games, when learning to drive. Though there is the added dimension of using the foot controls, gaming and driving are similar in ways. You (largely) use your hands a lot to do both, and in most games, you require the development of a fairly high degree of accurate control, which you also need in driving. (Note - DO NOT PLAY MARIO KART THEN GO FOR A DRIVING LESSON... I think you can see my point..)
e) Your eyes become more accustomed to staring for long periods of time at a colourful, flashing screen full of rapidly changing patterns - something which can be seen as useful when having to work for hours in front of a computer daily
f) Having your hands and eyes being used constantly when gaming tends to allow your other senses and movements to develop a great deal, for example, I can now play Unreal Tournament across a network, whilst having a video chat to someone (although Windows netmeeting and UT aren't best of friends when running together), as well as talking on my mobile to another person at the same time! Ok that may not sound amazing, but it's quite satisfying to be able to develop the abilities to do a number of things that are particularly complex, all at once.

These are a few reasons why I think such overloading of gaming can be good for you. There are a few more, and I will endeavour to fill you in at a later date with another post detailing them..
What do you all think?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.