GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Luigi's Mansion Copyright © 1996 (spoof)"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 23:46
Regular
I admit it. I am first to mention Nintendo's originality when it comes to videogames. Throughout the years, we've seen titles such as the unquestionably original Donkey Kong right through to such wierd and wacky titles suck as Doshin the Giant and Pikmin. But did Mr. Miyamoto make a booboo when he made Luigi's Mansion? It seems the purchase of a 1996 classic remake, Resident Evil, has began to question my mind...

First of all, although not exactly a horror game, but offering horror elements, namely ghosts, Luigi's Mansion is set in a mansion (funnily enough). Ofcourse, this similarity could be forgiven...if the mansions involved didn't have so many similarities!

Okay, okay, there aren't any killer dogs waiting outside the front door for you in Luigi's Mansion...but there should have been! It would have been hilarious to have seen Luigi running for his life every time he wanted to go from Prof. E. Gadd's hut to the mansion! The unncessary inclusion of two ravens in the opening cut-scene of Luigi's Mansion does seem to make me wonder if Miyamoto had been playing the Playstation version of Resident Evil a little more than Darth Yamauchi would have liked.

At the beginning of both games, the main characters start in the mansion foyers. Ok, mansions are big buildings, but the fact remains that the staircases in the centre far back of the foyers are very similar! Did Miyamoto copy the mansion design in this respect?

Or maybe in another respect when it comes to the graveyard out the back of the mansion? It seems very coinidental that the mansions are so alike in these ways.

You think I'm just being stupid (claps hands)? Well take a look at the save points in the game. On the original Playstation game, there is a save point in the main foyer (in the form of a typewriter, conviniently placed). In Luigi's Mansion, the save point is in the main foyer in the form of a mushroom with a face. Okay, not exactly the same type of 3D object, but they do the same in principle.

YATTA!

*ahem* You may well have noticed that Marshmellow Man has been truly dishonoured (skid-marks tee-hee!) by Luigi's Mansion too (despite being a rip-off of the Michelin Man, a.k.a. Toffo). Basically, Mr. Miyamoto has ripped off both Ghostbusters and Resident Evil claiming his game to be a truly original piece of work.

But is that where the lack of imagination from Miyamoto's part both begins and ends, with Luigi's mansion?

Well put it this way, did you notice that strange feeling of deja-vu (not the Game Boy Color game) when Nintendo first released Donkey Kong in the arcades in 1981? Does a certain giant ape grabbing helicopters and eating chewits in that old black and white movie with spectacular special effects ring any bells?

Didn't think so .

So is this the end of Miyamoto's originality streak? Did it ever begin? Is this just a bit of humorous babble aimed at lightening your day ever so slightly? And does Tony Blair really have 3 nipples?

Find out...sometime....soooooooooon!
Fri 13/09/02 at 23:46
Regular
I admit it. I am first to mention Nintendo's originality when it comes to videogames. Throughout the years, we've seen titles such as the unquestionably original Donkey Kong right through to such wierd and wacky titles suck as Doshin the Giant and Pikmin. But did Mr. Miyamoto make a booboo when he made Luigi's Mansion? It seems the purchase of a 1996 classic remake, Resident Evil, has began to question my mind...

First of all, although not exactly a horror game, but offering horror elements, namely ghosts, Luigi's Mansion is set in a mansion (funnily enough). Ofcourse, this similarity could be forgiven...if the mansions involved didn't have so many similarities!

Okay, okay, there aren't any killer dogs waiting outside the front door for you in Luigi's Mansion...but there should have been! It would have been hilarious to have seen Luigi running for his life every time he wanted to go from Prof. E. Gadd's hut to the mansion! The unncessary inclusion of two ravens in the opening cut-scene of Luigi's Mansion does seem to make me wonder if Miyamoto had been playing the Playstation version of Resident Evil a little more than Darth Yamauchi would have liked.

At the beginning of both games, the main characters start in the mansion foyers. Ok, mansions are big buildings, but the fact remains that the staircases in the centre far back of the foyers are very similar! Did Miyamoto copy the mansion design in this respect?

Or maybe in another respect when it comes to the graveyard out the back of the mansion? It seems very coinidental that the mansions are so alike in these ways.

You think I'm just being stupid (claps hands)? Well take a look at the save points in the game. On the original Playstation game, there is a save point in the main foyer (in the form of a typewriter, conviniently placed). In Luigi's Mansion, the save point is in the main foyer in the form of a mushroom with a face. Okay, not exactly the same type of 3D object, but they do the same in principle.

YATTA!

*ahem* You may well have noticed that Marshmellow Man has been truly dishonoured (skid-marks tee-hee!) by Luigi's Mansion too (despite being a rip-off of the Michelin Man, a.k.a. Toffo). Basically, Mr. Miyamoto has ripped off both Ghostbusters and Resident Evil claiming his game to be a truly original piece of work.

But is that where the lack of imagination from Miyamoto's part both begins and ends, with Luigi's mansion?

Well put it this way, did you notice that strange feeling of deja-vu (not the Game Boy Color game) when Nintendo first released Donkey Kong in the arcades in 1981? Does a certain giant ape grabbing helicopters and eating chewits in that old black and white movie with spectacular special effects ring any bells?

Didn't think so .

So is this the end of Miyamoto's originality streak? Did it ever begin? Is this just a bit of humorous babble aimed at lightening your day ever so slightly? And does Tony Blair really have 3 nipples?

Find out...sometime....soooooooooon!
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:00
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
Yes but it's almost impossible to be totally original with a game nowadays, there are so many out that no matter how hard you try, the idea will always track back to a previous game, there's just such a huge market out.

Plus, scary mansions, barking dogs, lightning etc are all classic elements or the horror genre so without them it wouldn't really work would it and people would complain of a crap setting/game.
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:04
Regular
That's what makes this a spoof.
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:08
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
And that's what I get for skim reading.

Doesn't sound like much of a spoof mind
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:10
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Whats:

'YATTA'

?
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:10
Regular
That's the whole point - it's meant to sound serious, yet not be at all.
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:11
Regular
Cyclone wrote:
> Whats:
>
>
> 'YATTA'
>
>
> ?

:D I believe there's a topic by the same name in FOG Chat that explains that (basically a hilarious flash clip that's stuck in my mind).
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:17
Regular
"I'm not Orgazmo"
I'm not having a go dude.

Oh fudge it.

Good read blah blah blah
Sat 14/09/02 at 00:22
Regular
I didn't say you were :)
Sat 14/09/02 at 12:38
Regular
Bah, forget you're spoof. RE is nothing like LM. Humbug!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.