GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"uplink"

The "PC Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 18:58
Regular
does anyone play uplink. or is it just me. as i think the game is cool
Sun 03/11/02 at 19:58
Flux wrote:
> DeltaJava wrote:
> Can't you just get a new mission?
>
> Nope, I'm not a high enough rank to do the 1 remaining mission.

If you pass time, then new missions eill appear on the bulletin board (I've forgotten what's it really called - I haven't played the demo for a while).
Sun 03/11/02 at 13:41
Flux not downloading games and giving them to me bull**** you gave me the thing which you downloaded and how would you know about renegade online you downloaded it and it osent work online fool.
Sun 03/11/02 at 13:29
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
DeltaJava wrote:
> Can't you just get a new mission?

Nope, I'm not a high enough rank to do the 1 remaining mission.

What's all this talk about piracy Ben (Resi Fans)? I'd never download a game and give it to you...

:D

Here's my review of the game (http://special.reserve.co.uk/reviews/review2.php? custid=1018190330&offset=5)

"March 2010. Your job is tiresome, the pay is low and it's time to embark on a new journey, a new career. Your first day goes pretty well, your employer, the Uplink Corporation giving you access to their server to take out a 3,000 credit loan from the Uplink Corporation Bank to enduldge in the business as a hacker. The Uplink Corporation provides you with basic internet access, banking privelages, hardware and software shops and contact with all the big-wigs which make it happen.

Side note: Uplink doesn't teach you how to hack, for budding script-kiddies out there. Rather, Uplink presents you with a hollywood, Swordfish-like atmosphere with many true-to-life traits which allow total immersion into the game. Despite this recreation of hollywood, Uplink is still one of the most original games which we have seen in years. Instead of a charge and blast-stylee atmosphere, the game puts you into a simplified version of a real-world hacking client.

A lot of the game is based on time. For instance, once you've bought your nifty new password breaker, you have to put it to the test on a server given to you via E-Mail (as a mission). The flurry of attempts to discover the password will eventually be detected by said server, and the Trace Tracker tool keeps a monitor on whether you are being traced or not. If "Trace Imminent" flashes on your Tracker, it's best to pull out, or risk doing time. This really brings an element of tension to the game those others games of the same genre have failed to deliver.

The later missions in the game turn out to be quite the challenge, requiring a pillar of groundwork in perparation for the mission ahead, which adds the "nerves of steel" feel to the game and gives a sense of tension. The game itself is very open, and there are some minute traces of a storyline as you get further into the game (such as to assist in saving or destroying the internet as we know it) but it doesn't really matter, as the immersion factor makes up for this time and time again.

My main gripe with the game is just how ridden with bugs it is, in terms of it running on an OpenGL operation client. Intermittently, after 1-2 hours of play, the game will just crash, and this gets incredibly frustrating if you're half way through hacking government crypt files when the game crashes and burns before your very eyes. However, there is a v1.01 patch available.

Uplink isn't for everyone, namely the issue of morality, in that hacking is illegal etc and that may prove unsettling to many people. However, budding script-kiddies and phreakers (like myself :P) will find this an incredibly immersive game with the tendancy to leave me playing into the early hours of the morning. Uplink truly is all the entertainment an avid games player can ask for."
Sat 02/11/02 at 19:30
I saw Flux play it and it looks wicked and i hope Flux gives it to me *hint hint*.
Mon 28/10/02 at 22:19
Can't you just get a new mission?
Mon 28/10/02 at 09:28
Regular
"The flux capacitor!"
I have it and it bloody rocks. I got quite far last night, but then I deleted some files from the server I was meant to hack, and I can't do any more missions, so I'm gonna start new again. Great game, and my name is "Swordfish" :P

I hope an expansion pack is released with more missions.
Sun 20/10/02 at 20:58
blahpro wrote:
> I would LOVE 2 have Uplink. Looks wicked...

Then buy it?
Sun 20/10/02 at 14:46
Regular
I had the demo, It twas cool.
Sat 28/09/02 at 15:57
Regular
"Brrrrr."
I would LOVE 2 have Uplink. Looks wicked...
Fri 13/09/02 at 18:58
"Hack The Planet!!!!"
does anyone play uplink. or is it just me. as i think the game is cool

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.