GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Who Needs Rare!"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 13/09/02 at 18:44
Regular
Rare may be on their way to join up with Bill Gates and his Microsoft Emprie in a multi-million dollar deal very soon, but would losing the UK-based Developers who have given us Donkey Kong Country, Conker, and Perfect Dark (to name a few) really be so bad for us GameCube owners??

You may have your own opinions on how and why the N64 went like it did, but you cannot deny the truth that Rare kept it alive at times when Nintendo fans needed games the most.
And no, i'm not just talking about those games that became well-known and loved by everyone, like Perfect Dark and GoldenEye, Rare's reputation to Nintendo fans world-wide wouldn't have grown as rapidly as it did without the addittion of the likes of Banjo Kazzoie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and even Jet Force Gemini.
Without these games, the N64 would've had nothing more to show for itself than Mario 64 and the 2 Zelda titles amongst a whole tip-full of failures including A<
And by no-means does the N64 stand-alone as the first example of a console saved by 'The Brains behind Banjo'. Oh no, let's not forget what the Donkey Kong Country series did when it came to the SNES back in '95. There was simply nothing like it at the time, and the graphics and character animations of DK and Diddy Kong really spoke for themselves.
And of course, there was Battletoads. The first game that appeared on the NES was something else, but when the Super Nintendo version came along, we couldn't believe our luck.
And these are just some of the minor details of how Rare have helped Nintendo out in the past. Nintendo weren't the first they've helped either, and it doesn't seem that they'll be the last company either.

So, if the pattern was to follow-on to the next Nintendo console, then the GameCube would also require the assistance of Rareware's work in-order to survive the full 5-year ride.
But is this really the case?
Or have Nintendo learnt enough from the past to know that they can do things on their own 2 feet now??

Call me crazy if you like, but I have reason to believe that as Nintendo fans and GameCube owners, we do not need any future Rare games after Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet to enjoy our Cubes to the max.

Look at the GameCube games we currently have available to us now in PAL form... Even if all the bigger and better games won't be here for another couple of months or so, you have to admit that we can't be too dissapointed with what we have and can currently buy (without importing).
The GameCube's Launch Line-up may have dissapointed the majority of us with a lack of both Mario and Zelda games, and yet a further delay in the new Starfox game, but thanks to SEGA we have the innovative Super Monkey Ball, Activision have handed us Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on a Half-Pipe, and there's even a decent Racer in Burnout - something the N64 lacked in numbers. And only a few weeks into the European Launch of the console we were blessed with both the bizzare and beautifull Pikmin, aswell as the incredible Super Smash Bros. Melée. And even Luigi's Mansion wasn't 'Mario', i've completely ignored the stunning Star Wars title that showed us all what the GameCube could really do right from Day 1.

And do you honestly believe that you could look me straight in the eye (via. a Web Cam obviously) and tell me that you feel you have been let-down by Nintendo's efforts to satisfy it's customers and fans right from the word "Go!"?? Of course not.
Nintendo have gone out of their way to make-up with the old and bring-in the new to make sure that they had all the 3rd Party support the GameCube would need to avoid that familliar experience of failure that plagued the neglected N64. The least you could do is be gratefull, and to enjoy each and every-one of the afore mentioned titles, and to forget about 'what could've been' with Rare!

Can you tell me off the top of your head how many of the entire list of available PAL GameCube games to this date (including Resident Evil) have been developed by Rareware?? Well, if you're telling me a number any higher than zero then you really are a fool!
That's right, all these great games available to us, and not even a single one of them has been 'crafted' by the hands of Rareware, not even in the slightest and most minute way you could imagine.

We've all agreed that the list of Launch Titles is dissapointing.
And we've also established that things will only get better for the Cube.
Well, if you take a look at some of the bigger future releases then you won't see a single Rare game in there besides the very Zelda-esque Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet! Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters 2, Die Hard, Zelda, Monkey Ball 2, Resident Evil 0, Mario Kart.... I could go on and on...! See their name anyyy..'rare'?? - sorry :(

So, think again...
Who needs Rare? Not Nintendo's GameCube with a line-up like this!

This should help to 'ease the pain' and 'suffering' you have felt after hearing the disturbing buy-out news.

For all I care now, Rare can run-off to Bill Gates and his billions and try to save the sinking wreck that is... the X-Box!
Fri 13/09/02 at 19:55
"The Will of D."
It's not "Microsoft", it's "Microplop". Anyway I doubt RARE will move to Microplop, but maybe to Sony.
Fri 13/09/02 at 19:52
Regular
who needs rare? why its microsoft.
Fri 13/09/02 at 19:19
Regular
"Keep Cool!!!"
I don't really care about rare. Nintendo have loads of other really good companies working with them. So we don't really need rare.
Fri 13/09/02 at 19:01
"For the horde!!!!"
yes Rare seem to have been sitting around drinking tea instead of making Gamecube games so i won't perticuly miss them that much, even though Goldeneye was one of the best FPS out (in it's day anyway) nowadays many develpers are making FPS that can rival if not beat the likes of Rare so Nitendo don't have to worry so much should they lose them.
Fri 13/09/02 at 18:44
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Rare may be on their way to join up with Bill Gates and his Microsoft Emprie in a multi-million dollar deal very soon, but would losing the UK-based Developers who have given us Donkey Kong Country, Conker, and Perfect Dark (to name a few) really be so bad for us GameCube owners??

You may have your own opinions on how and why the N64 went like it did, but you cannot deny the truth that Rare kept it alive at times when Nintendo fans needed games the most.
And no, i'm not just talking about those games that became well-known and loved by everyone, like Perfect Dark and GoldenEye, Rare's reputation to Nintendo fans world-wide wouldn't have grown as rapidly as it did without the addittion of the likes of Banjo Kazzoie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, and even Jet Force Gemini.
Without these games, the N64 would've had nothing more to show for itself than Mario 64 and the 2 Zelda titles amongst a whole tip-full of failures including A<
And by no-means does the N64 stand-alone as the first example of a console saved by 'The Brains behind Banjo'. Oh no, let's not forget what the Donkey Kong Country series did when it came to the SNES back in '95. There was simply nothing like it at the time, and the graphics and character animations of DK and Diddy Kong really spoke for themselves.
And of course, there was Battletoads. The first game that appeared on the NES was something else, but when the Super Nintendo version came along, we couldn't believe our luck.
And these are just some of the minor details of how Rare have helped Nintendo out in the past. Nintendo weren't the first they've helped either, and it doesn't seem that they'll be the last company either.

So, if the pattern was to follow-on to the next Nintendo console, then the GameCube would also require the assistance of Rareware's work in-order to survive the full 5-year ride.
But is this really the case?
Or have Nintendo learnt enough from the past to know that they can do things on their own 2 feet now??

Call me crazy if you like, but I have reason to believe that as Nintendo fans and GameCube owners, we do not need any future Rare games after Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet to enjoy our Cubes to the max.

Look at the GameCube games we currently have available to us now in PAL form... Even if all the bigger and better games won't be here for another couple of months or so, you have to admit that we can't be too dissapointed with what we have and can currently buy (without importing).
The GameCube's Launch Line-up may have dissapointed the majority of us with a lack of both Mario and Zelda games, and yet a further delay in the new Starfox game, but thanks to SEGA we have the innovative Super Monkey Ball, Activision have handed us Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 on a Half-Pipe, and there's even a decent Racer in Burnout - something the N64 lacked in numbers. And only a few weeks into the European Launch of the console we were blessed with both the bizzare and beautifull Pikmin, aswell as the incredible Super Smash Bros. Melée. And even Luigi's Mansion wasn't 'Mario', i've completely ignored the stunning Star Wars title that showed us all what the GameCube could really do right from Day 1.

And do you honestly believe that you could look me straight in the eye (via. a Web Cam obviously) and tell me that you feel you have been let-down by Nintendo's efforts to satisfy it's customers and fans right from the word "Go!"?? Of course not.
Nintendo have gone out of their way to make-up with the old and bring-in the new to make sure that they had all the 3rd Party support the GameCube would need to avoid that familliar experience of failure that plagued the neglected N64. The least you could do is be gratefull, and to enjoy each and every-one of the afore mentioned titles, and to forget about 'what could've been' with Rare!

Can you tell me off the top of your head how many of the entire list of available PAL GameCube games to this date (including Resident Evil) have been developed by Rareware?? Well, if you're telling me a number any higher than zero then you really are a fool!
That's right, all these great games available to us, and not even a single one of them has been 'crafted' by the hands of Rareware, not even in the slightest and most minute way you could imagine.

We've all agreed that the list of Launch Titles is dissapointing.
And we've also established that things will only get better for the Cube.
Well, if you take a look at some of the bigger future releases then you won't see a single Rare game in there besides the very Zelda-esque Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet! Mario Sunshine, Timesplitters 2, Die Hard, Zelda, Monkey Ball 2, Resident Evil 0, Mario Kart.... I could go on and on...! See their name anyyy..'rare'?? - sorry :(

So, think again...
Who needs Rare? Not Nintendo's GameCube with a line-up like this!

This should help to 'ease the pain' and 'suffering' you have felt after hearing the disturbing buy-out news.

For all I care now, Rare can run-off to Bill Gates and his billions and try to save the sinking wreck that is... the X-Box!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.