GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Nintendo - Beyond Gamecube"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/09/02 at 19:44
Regular
While Sony have half an eye on the PS3, Nintendo have taken a very different approach to the prospect of a replacement for the Gamecube.
It seems that rather than keeping up with the Joneses, the Gamecube will only be knocked off its pedestal when the games themselves demand higher technology.

At such an early stage in the console's life, we have surely seen only a fraction of what the Gamecube is capable of. Boundaries will inevitably be pushed back as developers learn more about the console's inner workings and the most efficient ways to harness its power.
However, at the same time we've already seen the cube's limits tested. Monkey Ball and Burnout, to name but two, have shown (very) occasional slowdown. Admittedly nothing significant to the enjoyment of the game. Yet. But while the graphics already look great, it would seem there isn't really all that much potential to push their quality further if it requires upping the polygon count.

Naturally, an expansion pack style add-on would clear this up and give developers some more room to work with, so long as it could utilise one of the Gamecube's available ports (or perhaps the high capacity SD memory cards) - after the modem there's still one more serial and one high speed port under there, though one of these may be destined for networking two or more consoles at some time.

Disk capacity currently places no restriction on games, despite what some may fear when their opinion is based only on the disks' small physical dimensions, and it would certainly not be a problem for a developer to spread a game over 2 or more disks.
It would seem that for the forseeable future then, that disk capacities are sufficient for our demands. However, some time in the future it seems likely that we will need more space. Sony are looking to the new Blu-Ray disk media, which have huge capacity (27GB, which may be upped to 50GB in time). While new means of data storage pop up fairly frequently these days, no doubt something along these lines would be used by Nintendo too, assuming games would still be retailed in physical form then anyway (as opposed to simply downloaded).

Still, present uses and limitations may not dictate the future lifespan of the Gamecube. When 3D graphics leapt inside our televisions it needed a new generation of consoles to allow the revolution to be fully realised.
Another gaming revolution on such a scale is by no means a possibility. 'What kind of revolution might that be' You ask? Well if I knew that, I'd be too rich to be writing this.
Might get my butler to though :^)
However, with no signs of anything any time soon, it seems safe to day the Gamecube isn't under any real threat of being outdated this way.

So it seems there is the potential for Gamecube to still be going strong a long way down the line. When PS3 and Xbox 2 are filling shop shelves? Who knows?
Unfortunately, unless developers get a lot smarter in creating cutting edge graphics without too many more polygons, we may not see anthing significantly better looking than what we already have.
Sure, graphics aren't everything, and perhaps five years down the line we'll still be happy with the standards Super Smash Bros and Star Wars Rogue Leader set now. But I think not. Graphics are important. You can't look at everything you play in a hip and retro light.
Still, slowdown is worse.

But niether problem on a rival company's console is better than either alternative.
Gamecube with an extra-long life? It might not be as attractive as you'd first think.
Sat 14/09/02 at 18:20
Regular
"Unretired"
Maverick42 wrote:
> I think Nintendo will continue to make consoles, but in a different
> way to Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo will make games consoles, whereas
> MS and Sony will make entertainment systems. This may backfire on
> them, due to the increasing price and Nintendo will be left, as
> always, delivering quality and budget gaming for everyone.

May I point out that a games console is an entertainment system ;-)

But yes I know what you mean, im just being awkward.
Sat 14/09/02 at 18:15
Regular
I think Nintendo will continue to make consoles, but in a different way to Microsoft and Sony. Nintendo will make games consoles, whereas MS and Sony will make entertainment systems. This may backfire on them, due to the increasing price and Nintendo will be left, as always, delivering quality and budget gaming for everyone.
Sat 14/09/02 at 11:41
"The Will of D."
Elite Chaos wrote:
> It means, we may all end up running out to buy a X-box 2....
>
>
>
> Doubt it!
I doubt that they'll bring a Xbox2 unless the Xbox gets killed off by Ninty and Fony. (pleassseeee!)
Sat 14/09/02 at 11:12
Regular
"Unretired"
Man your pathetic, I live in an apartment, have to get up early for work.
I usually am asleep by 12... Is that "Un-cool" for you, but thats weeknights, weekends I dont sleep...... Usually due to partys and the like.
Sat 14/09/02 at 09:48
Regular
"Balls"
Elite Chaos wrote:
> Erm Dr Duck...
>
>
> "Today at 2.14AM"
>
> Man, you stay on SR till then?
>
> Im in bed by then.

thgen you must be quite boring thats when the fun is. at 2 in the moring you must be about 4 your mum sends you to bed at 8
Sat 14/09/02 at 09:43
Regular
"Unretired"
Erm Dr Duck...

"Today at 2.14AM"

Man, you stay on SR till then?

Im in bed by then.
Sat 14/09/02 at 09:42
Regular
"Unretired"
It means, we may all end up running out to buy a X-box 2....

Doubt it!
Sat 14/09/02 at 02:14
Regular
Nobody else care at all?

*sob*
Thu 12/09/02 at 19:48
Regular
"Keep Cool!!!"
Nintendo might not even make another Console. They might just keep the Gamecube going untill nothing sells anymore.......

I think they should make a new console around 2005 or something like that.
Thu 12/09/02 at 19:44
Regular
While Sony have half an eye on the PS3, Nintendo have taken a very different approach to the prospect of a replacement for the Gamecube.
It seems that rather than keeping up with the Joneses, the Gamecube will only be knocked off its pedestal when the games themselves demand higher technology.

At such an early stage in the console's life, we have surely seen only a fraction of what the Gamecube is capable of. Boundaries will inevitably be pushed back as developers learn more about the console's inner workings and the most efficient ways to harness its power.
However, at the same time we've already seen the cube's limits tested. Monkey Ball and Burnout, to name but two, have shown (very) occasional slowdown. Admittedly nothing significant to the enjoyment of the game. Yet. But while the graphics already look great, it would seem there isn't really all that much potential to push their quality further if it requires upping the polygon count.

Naturally, an expansion pack style add-on would clear this up and give developers some more room to work with, so long as it could utilise one of the Gamecube's available ports (or perhaps the high capacity SD memory cards) - after the modem there's still one more serial and one high speed port under there, though one of these may be destined for networking two or more consoles at some time.

Disk capacity currently places no restriction on games, despite what some may fear when their opinion is based only on the disks' small physical dimensions, and it would certainly not be a problem for a developer to spread a game over 2 or more disks.
It would seem that for the forseeable future then, that disk capacities are sufficient for our demands. However, some time in the future it seems likely that we will need more space. Sony are looking to the new Blu-Ray disk media, which have huge capacity (27GB, which may be upped to 50GB in time). While new means of data storage pop up fairly frequently these days, no doubt something along these lines would be used by Nintendo too, assuming games would still be retailed in physical form then anyway (as opposed to simply downloaded).

Still, present uses and limitations may not dictate the future lifespan of the Gamecube. When 3D graphics leapt inside our televisions it needed a new generation of consoles to allow the revolution to be fully realised.
Another gaming revolution on such a scale is by no means a possibility. 'What kind of revolution might that be' You ask? Well if I knew that, I'd be too rich to be writing this.
Might get my butler to though :^)
However, with no signs of anything any time soon, it seems safe to day the Gamecube isn't under any real threat of being outdated this way.

So it seems there is the potential for Gamecube to still be going strong a long way down the line. When PS3 and Xbox 2 are filling shop shelves? Who knows?
Unfortunately, unless developers get a lot smarter in creating cutting edge graphics without too many more polygons, we may not see anthing significantly better looking than what we already have.
Sure, graphics aren't everything, and perhaps five years down the line we'll still be happy with the standards Super Smash Bros and Star Wars Rogue Leader set now. But I think not. Graphics are important. You can't look at everything you play in a hip and retro light.
Still, slowdown is worse.

But niether problem on a rival company's console is better than either alternative.
Gamecube with an extra-long life? It might not be as attractive as you'd first think.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.