GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"X-Emulate"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 12/09/02 at 15:25
Regular
The good/bad thing about the Xbox is that it's like a PC. Because of this there have been lots of people working on various emulators for the machine.

The situation now is that you can get everything from a Spectrum to a Megadrive working on your Xbox. Think of that, having many consoles in one, and on your TV rather than your PC screen.

Ok, so the issue of holding roms for games you don't own will raise its head, but that's never really stopped PC emulation fans. It's good news for retroheads though.

The Dreamcast even went so far as to have un-official ports of Quake (with the licenced code, so it wasn't illegal), perhaps we will see the same type of fan software support that the Amiga was lucky enough to have. It can't be a bad thing.
Thu 12/09/02 at 20:13
"possibly impossible"
Xbox emulators tend to turn up on CDs. The amazing thing is that from one source they can spread rapidly across countries and pretty soon you find that at least one person you know is offering them to you.

The harddrive is a bonus really, after all the Dreamcast managed it with just a CD drive. Don't forget that you could probably fit 100's of old games on 1 CD, in fact I have a shop bought spectrum one that has over 6,000 games on it!
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:27
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
LOL bet it was just an x box desktop theme as well LOL
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:21
Regular
"MildlyAmusing.co.uk"
Went to a computer show a week back. On one of the "less-legal" stores, there was an Xbox Emulator for PC. I thought about getting it (although I already have an Xbox) just to see what it was like, as I can't seem to find one on the net/can't be arsed to look. That was until the bloke told me it was £5.

Feck that.
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:17
"Darkness, always"
XBOX emulators are out there.

[Twilight Zone]doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo[/Twilight Zone]
Thu 12/09/02 at 16:09
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
How long before it works the other way though? Playing XBox games on PC's. I've read quite a bit from American college sites about computing students trying to write software for the xbox and with a few modifications they produced there own media player.

Think its only a matter of time before we see it working the other way.
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:54
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
~Res~ wrote:
> Hey although i only know you for having the highest GAD wins i feel
> like i know you so it's good to see you posting.

---

He's not been the highest GAD winner for months now... keep track of things!

:-D
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:50
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
Strafex wrote:
> Only the PS2 doesn't have a harddrive to load them onto...
>

Errr it does Linux comes with the HDD kit in japan mate.
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:41
Regular
Also, if someone made an Xbox C/C++ compiler (which I bet was done AGES ago! :-D), anyone could make programs for it.

Hear that Grix? Swordspines could go into Xbox devellopment...

If any of us knew C++ that is! :-D
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:39
Regular
Only the PS2 doesn't have a harddrive to load them onto...

If Xbox emulation takes off, Xbox owners could get the complete Rare set (Bar Starfox Adventures - unless they have a Gamecube too ofcourse! :-)) complete with the N64, Snes, Nes and even the Ultimate:Play the Game collection from the Speccy.

Then again, if the Xbox's online facilities don't allow browsing, how do people get hold of them?
Thu 12/09/02 at 15:33
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
pb wrote:
> The good/bad thing about the Xbox is that it's like a PC. Because of
> this there have been lots of people working on various emulators for
> the machine.
>
> The situation now is that you can get everything from a Spectrum to a
> Megadrive working on your Xbox. Think of that, having many consoles
> in one, and on your TV rather than your PC screen.
>
> Ok, so the issue of holding roms for games you don't own will raise
> its head, but that's never really stopped PC emulation fans. It's
> good news for retroheads though.
>
> The Dreamcast even went so far as to have un-official ports of Quake
> (with the licenced code, so it wasn't illegal), perhaps we will see
> the same type of fan software support that the Amiga was lucky enough
> to have. It can't be a bad thing.

Hey although i only know you for having the highest GAD wins i feel like i know you so it's good to see you posting.

anyway yeah your right, i had an amiga and when i went to computer shows with my dad (normaly amiga only) there used to be like your bedroom game maker handing out games. i once got a game of a guy that he made himself and was trying to get publisher interest.
it was like a bomber man clone but with cool little extras and really cool (for it time) music.

but lets not forget the PS2 though with it's linux add on which should have a few emulators itself (hopefully).

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.