GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Frustrating Startup Problems"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/09/02 at 23:50
Regular
Hey, I hope somebody out there can help me sort out a frustrating problem I have with my PC.

Whenever I turn it on it beeps for around two seconds, before then repeatedly beeping constantly. The monitor doesn't come on (it should autopower on when the computer starts) and nothing happens with the PC.

I've tried turning the monitor on (obviously) to see if it's just something with that, but that's not the answer. The PC just completely fails to load and continues beeping.

NOTHING happens before this. The first thing when I turn it on is the beeping, as if the computer doesn't even get to begin booting up DOS/Windows.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,
Sat 21/09/02 at 21:25
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
S'screwed then.
Sat 21/09/02 at 15:24
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Well, they don't look any different.

They appear to be the same type of RAM, but there is one subtle thing I noticed. On one of the sticks there's a sticker with the technical details of the ram, but not on the other.

It doesn't neccessarily mean anything, but I guess that means we can't be sure they're the same type of RAM which could be a possible explanation for the problems.
Fri 20/09/02 at 19:05
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Are the RAM different types? Do they look physically different? And marks on the fubarred RAM?
Fri 20/09/02 at 12:27
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Okay,

I've had a look inside my PC and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the RAM or motherboard.

However, seeing as you were inclined to think it may be the RAM I removed it and re-seated it.

The RAM that was originally in my PC has been left alone, but in two additional slots I installed some RAM I bought from Special Reserve about 6 months ago. I removed both sets of RAM and then when I turned the computer on, it beeped at a slower rate still indicating a problem.

I put one of the ram cards back in, and hey presto, my computer started up as normal. I then returned the other to it's slot, and the original problem started again.

So, i'm lead to beleive it's something to do with this second ram card. Does that sound likely? I've left it out so my computer's now working, but ideally I don't want to lose that memory if I can possibly get it working again.

Any idea's?

Cheers.
Thu 12/09/02 at 10:08
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
ah i know what the beeps mean but it's on me comp at home, also try pressing delete key as that's sometimes a bios key along with F1 , F2 and errr F10 LOL depends on board see.

open it up and make sure you ram and CPU are in properly and if the motherboard has it set the jumpers on the board to reset settings and if it's an auto detecting CPU type board see if you can over ride the clock speed to set CPU manualy.

better get your board manual out ;)
Thu 12/09/02 at 08:02
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Argh, flashbacks!

On my EPoX motherboard, the problems you are experiencing indicated either:

Your RAM is screwed
Your RAM isn't in properly
Your system is clocked too high
Your system is clocked vastly too low
Your CPU is screwed
Your CPU isn't there

One option is to try holding Insert when you power on in the hope it's problem 3/4, and get in to the bios. I doubt this is the problem.

Personally, I think it's 1/2, have a look at you RAM and reseat it. A knock can push it out of line.

Well... that's how it is for my mobo, it could be something completely different for yours :-)

Do you have a "port 80" display? Little LED readout on your mobo? Consult your manual with either that or the beep pattern.
Wed 11/09/02 at 23:50
Regular
"Is'not Dave... sorr"
Hey, I hope somebody out there can help me sort out a frustrating problem I have with my PC.

Whenever I turn it on it beeps for around two seconds, before then repeatedly beeping constantly. The monitor doesn't come on (it should autopower on when the computer starts) and nothing happens with the PC.

I've tried turning the monitor on (obviously) to see if it's just something with that, but that's not the answer. The PC just completely fails to load and continues beeping.

NOTHING happens before this. The first thing when I turn it on is the beeping, as if the computer doesn't even get to begin booting up DOS/Windows.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.