GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"8:47 11/9/2001"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 11/09/02 at 07:32
Regular
For those who want to argue the rights and wrongs of this, start another topic. Whatever you think, over 3000 people died a year today for the crime of being American and there. That point cannot be forgotten or changed, and is the ultimate point of this topic. That I know I will have to put this to stop it turning into the usual made up points argument is saddening itself.

**8:47 USA Local Time. September 11, 2001. New York City.**

American Airlines Flight 11 hit the North Tower of the World Trade Centre (1WTC) killing all on board. The darkest day in American history had begun.

You all know what followed, over 3000 people were murdered that day in New York, Washington DC, and Pensylvania.

Even so, at around 10:00 local time, there was hope. Passengers onboard Flight 93, now known to be targeting the Congress Building in Washington DC, fought back against the hijackers. Armed with no weapons, they attacked the terrorists who held knives, who had already killed the flight crew in cold blood. Flight 93 crashed, killing all on board, but it never reached it's target.

As the death toll mounted it became clear that more would have died had it not been for the actions of the brave men and women of the emergency services - over 400 emergency personnel died in New York alone. When everyone was running from the Towers they ran in.

**4:16 UK Local Time. October 7th, 2001.**

Sky News began reporting heavy air defence fire over Kabul, then later other areas of Afghanistan. An hour later, the Pentagon confirms that Operation Ultimate Justice is underway (later renamed Enduring Freedom). The war on terror had begun.

**Now, September 11th, 2002.**

A year has passed, a year in which Afghanistan was freed from the Al Queda and Taliban rule, a year which has seen secuirty raised everywhere in the free world, a year in which workers have excavated the remains of the World Trade Centre, a year for families to grieve, for bodies and remains to be recovered, or not...., a year has passed. Until today, I intended to watch

I've always liked America, the people, the places, the lifestyle, the music - everything. It has it's faults, big ones sometimes. I don't know why, but this is how I feel. This was an attack on America and the free world. No one I know died that day, yet I find it hard to watch the images of the crashes, I want to help in some way. I have, in a small insignificant way. I donated mone to charities for the victims, bought charity items, and so on. Sure, I've hardly helped, but I've done what I can. Has it made me feel better about it ? Not really. Do I usually give money to charity ? No, never have apart from the Salvation Army (about 50p in those plastic boxes sometimes), but I did this time. Why ? I don't know. America was attacked, I've always liked America.

9/11 Was NOT just an attack on America, it was an attack on freedom itself. We have to repel that attack.

Today, ceremonies across America, Britain, and elsewhere, remember the dead and those who gave their lives for others. Remember also those who survived or who lost people they knew.
Forget the rights and wrongs of the war on terror today, of Iraq, of Afghanistan, and remember those who died today, one year ago, through no choice of thier own. Most had gone to work, as most of us do, and never came back, others went on journeys, and never came back. In Afghanistan and other places the world over US, UK and other service personnel have died fighting the war on terror - just doing their jobs defending freedom. Everyone who died on 9/11 died, in part, because of freedom.

America and the UK are free places, within reason we let others into our countries because we believe in people and giving them a chance. We didn't used to be suspicious of everyone. We give strangers a chance. Our society is open, still. We can go to town and know we're not going to be stopped at a checkpoint, asked for ID cards, about our business. That's freedom. We still have it and that's one of the greatest triumpths since 9/11.

September 11th has not now become just a day to mourn those who died, but something greater. The world changed a year ago, for the better. It's hard to believe, I know, but it did. Today marks the turning point towards what could one day be a better earth. Seriously, 9/11 changed everything in ways we are only just seeing.

We hopefully see the everyday people doing jobs in the emergency services who are the real heroes amongst us. We've taken them for granted until now. They risk their life for nearly the same wage many of us get for sitting at a desk on a pc most of the day. We see how people of different faiths can unite in common causes, we're aware of the many many different religions that exist and why we must all be at least tolerant of differences. Most importantly we saw a glimpse, for a few weeks, of what the world could be like - nations expressed sorrow for America, even Iran (but not Iraq), Russia showed strong support by not ramping up it's defence level alongside the Americans...and so on. For a while, nearly the whole world was united in condemnation. It didn't last, but for a brief time.......what would it take to make it last ? I think it's the first time that most of this planet has felt some sort of unity, shared feeling. That has to a good side to this.

The threat of terrorism has been realised, of uncontrolled proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, of our lack of security intelligence, our failure as a whole to see a threat the Middle East and Russia has warned of for years. A year today, the events were somewhere we knew, somewhere many of us cared about, had been to. Not a place we know little about but America, an ally. People debate how we go about meeting the threat of terrorism, but all agree it needs to be dealt with. We're seeing our faults.

Today, we all need to remember those who died a year today, and their families. For them, no bomb or missile or bullet can bring back their loved ones. Can we find justice in the years to come for the dead ? Maybe, somehow. We don't need endless replays of the towers collapsing, the planes hitting.....most people who saw them, even on tv, will probably never forget those images.

We will not see another war like WW2, but that's what many of us are still thinking like, expecting. This is a new style of warfare we're not ready for, but the terrorists are, it's the only way they can win. And they are winning, in small ways changing public opinion against those who would destroy the terrorists. Still , people claim Al Queda didn't do it, that it is a conspiracy, that the USA did it to itself, that foreign policies mean the USA desereved it. We have the freedom to think what we want, but by voicing ideas like those the terrorists win, a little bit at a time. Video footage found in Afghanistan in July shows that in 1999 Osama Bin Laden declared his followers were at war with the West. We are at war now, a war being fought on tv, in the shadows of night, on foreign soil, and here, at home. An invisible war that began unknown to us.

We cannot go back and correct the past, we can only make a better future and we have to trust our leaders that we have elected to do this. Time, and history, will judge our generation by what happens in the years to come.

What I'm trying to say, in all these words, somehow, is I don't want to see this happen again. I doubt any of us do. A year has passed and still it's hard to believe what happened. Do we dwell forever on this millenniums darkest day, or move on in some way, towards what will hopefully be a better future free of terrorism and war ?

It isn't impossible, but we won't get there without a fight.

Thanks for reading this,

~~Belldandy~~
Wed 11/09/02 at 12:37
Regular
Anyone who would like to look at the time-line in full flash glory should go to cnn.com. They have some very good articles and features.
Wed 11/09/02 at 12:19
Regular
Regardless of where i disagree, no, i'm not going to argue on this.

Today of all days, i hope we can forget our differences of opinion for a while.

Maybe that's what sept 11 can ultimately teach us.
Wed 11/09/02 at 07:32
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
For those who want to argue the rights and wrongs of this, start another topic. Whatever you think, over 3000 people died a year today for the crime of being American and there. That point cannot be forgotten or changed, and is the ultimate point of this topic. That I know I will have to put this to stop it turning into the usual made up points argument is saddening itself.

**8:47 USA Local Time. September 11, 2001. New York City.**

American Airlines Flight 11 hit the North Tower of the World Trade Centre (1WTC) killing all on board. The darkest day in American history had begun.

You all know what followed, over 3000 people were murdered that day in New York, Washington DC, and Pensylvania.

Even so, at around 10:00 local time, there was hope. Passengers onboard Flight 93, now known to be targeting the Congress Building in Washington DC, fought back against the hijackers. Armed with no weapons, they attacked the terrorists who held knives, who had already killed the flight crew in cold blood. Flight 93 crashed, killing all on board, but it never reached it's target.

As the death toll mounted it became clear that more would have died had it not been for the actions of the brave men and women of the emergency services - over 400 emergency personnel died in New York alone. When everyone was running from the Towers they ran in.

**4:16 UK Local Time. October 7th, 2001.**

Sky News began reporting heavy air defence fire over Kabul, then later other areas of Afghanistan. An hour later, the Pentagon confirms that Operation Ultimate Justice is underway (later renamed Enduring Freedom). The war on terror had begun.

**Now, September 11th, 2002.**

A year has passed, a year in which Afghanistan was freed from the Al Queda and Taliban rule, a year which has seen secuirty raised everywhere in the free world, a year in which workers have excavated the remains of the World Trade Centre, a year for families to grieve, for bodies and remains to be recovered, or not...., a year has passed. Until today, I intended to watch

I've always liked America, the people, the places, the lifestyle, the music - everything. It has it's faults, big ones sometimes. I don't know why, but this is how I feel. This was an attack on America and the free world. No one I know died that day, yet I find it hard to watch the images of the crashes, I want to help in some way. I have, in a small insignificant way. I donated mone to charities for the victims, bought charity items, and so on. Sure, I've hardly helped, but I've done what I can. Has it made me feel better about it ? Not really. Do I usually give money to charity ? No, never have apart from the Salvation Army (about 50p in those plastic boxes sometimes), but I did this time. Why ? I don't know. America was attacked, I've always liked America.

9/11 Was NOT just an attack on America, it was an attack on freedom itself. We have to repel that attack.

Today, ceremonies across America, Britain, and elsewhere, remember the dead and those who gave their lives for others. Remember also those who survived or who lost people they knew.
Forget the rights and wrongs of the war on terror today, of Iraq, of Afghanistan, and remember those who died today, one year ago, through no choice of thier own. Most had gone to work, as most of us do, and never came back, others went on journeys, and never came back. In Afghanistan and other places the world over US, UK and other service personnel have died fighting the war on terror - just doing their jobs defending freedom. Everyone who died on 9/11 died, in part, because of freedom.

America and the UK are free places, within reason we let others into our countries because we believe in people and giving them a chance. We didn't used to be suspicious of everyone. We give strangers a chance. Our society is open, still. We can go to town and know we're not going to be stopped at a checkpoint, asked for ID cards, about our business. That's freedom. We still have it and that's one of the greatest triumpths since 9/11.

September 11th has not now become just a day to mourn those who died, but something greater. The world changed a year ago, for the better. It's hard to believe, I know, but it did. Today marks the turning point towards what could one day be a better earth. Seriously, 9/11 changed everything in ways we are only just seeing.

We hopefully see the everyday people doing jobs in the emergency services who are the real heroes amongst us. We've taken them for granted until now. They risk their life for nearly the same wage many of us get for sitting at a desk on a pc most of the day. We see how people of different faiths can unite in common causes, we're aware of the many many different religions that exist and why we must all be at least tolerant of differences. Most importantly we saw a glimpse, for a few weeks, of what the world could be like - nations expressed sorrow for America, even Iran (but not Iraq), Russia showed strong support by not ramping up it's defence level alongside the Americans...and so on. For a while, nearly the whole world was united in condemnation. It didn't last, but for a brief time.......what would it take to make it last ? I think it's the first time that most of this planet has felt some sort of unity, shared feeling. That has to a good side to this.

The threat of terrorism has been realised, of uncontrolled proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, of our lack of security intelligence, our failure as a whole to see a threat the Middle East and Russia has warned of for years. A year today, the events were somewhere we knew, somewhere many of us cared about, had been to. Not a place we know little about but America, an ally. People debate how we go about meeting the threat of terrorism, but all agree it needs to be dealt with. We're seeing our faults.

Today, we all need to remember those who died a year today, and their families. For them, no bomb or missile or bullet can bring back their loved ones. Can we find justice in the years to come for the dead ? Maybe, somehow. We don't need endless replays of the towers collapsing, the planes hitting.....most people who saw them, even on tv, will probably never forget those images.

We will not see another war like WW2, but that's what many of us are still thinking like, expecting. This is a new style of warfare we're not ready for, but the terrorists are, it's the only way they can win. And they are winning, in small ways changing public opinion against those who would destroy the terrorists. Still , people claim Al Queda didn't do it, that it is a conspiracy, that the USA did it to itself, that foreign policies mean the USA desereved it. We have the freedom to think what we want, but by voicing ideas like those the terrorists win, a little bit at a time. Video footage found in Afghanistan in July shows that in 1999 Osama Bin Laden declared his followers were at war with the West. We are at war now, a war being fought on tv, in the shadows of night, on foreign soil, and here, at home. An invisible war that began unknown to us.

We cannot go back and correct the past, we can only make a better future and we have to trust our leaders that we have elected to do this. Time, and history, will judge our generation by what happens in the years to come.

What I'm trying to say, in all these words, somehow, is I don't want to see this happen again. I doubt any of us do. A year has passed and still it's hard to believe what happened. Do we dwell forever on this millenniums darkest day, or move on in some way, towards what will hopefully be a better future free of terrorism and war ?

It isn't impossible, but we won't get there without a fight.

Thanks for reading this,

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.