GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"If all online gaming was blown to bits...."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 09/09/02 at 12:02
Regular
.... I can safely say that I would not care one damn bit.

Shall I tell you why?! OK, I will...

When it comes to games consoles these days, all I hear is "Is it going to go online?" Right then... why is it, all of a sudden, so compulsary that when a new console is released, it has - or will have - online capabilities?

I've been "in to" videogames since I was a wee nipper, and up until the Dreamcast, everything was fine... hunky dorey, as they say. But as soon as the Dreamcast is announced as being the first console to go online, and SEGA start spouting rubbish like "Up to 6 billion players", the whole world goes in an online gaming orgy, and before you know it, every console manufacturing company is trying to out-do each other by telling everyone that their console is going to be online and it's going to revolutionise the console industry (with the exception of Nintendo, who - although they have announced that the Gamecube will go online in the "near future" - have hardly uttered two words about their 128 bit console's online doo-dads).

Um, one word: No. The console industry was already revolutionised by the Dreamcast's online capabilities (as awful as they were), so when a console goes online now, it's hardly the newest idea to be plucked, is it? Now the obvious argument to me saying that would be, "Well, consoles are going to use Broadband now" or something along those lines. My experience of Broadband leads me to believe that faster Internet connections are the only advantage, so - although this would eliminate things like lagging - it's still not likely to set the console industry on fire.

Nintendo, to be honest, seem to be the only company that are being rational about this Internet business, and indeed the whole idea of a videogames console. They're not interested in whether or not their console plays DVD's or CD's, or if the console is Internet-ready at the exact moment you buy it. They've so far just stuck to what they know best: making great consoles, on which to play great games. When you have companies like Sony and Microsoft entering the console industry... THAT's when consoles suffer. Both companies in question were leading manufacturers in other electronic equipment before they started the manufacturing of games consoles, so they think that by inter-breeding their knowledge of electronics (or in Microsoft's case, PC's that have a tendency to crash), then they will produce a superior console that will blow all others out of the water.

So Sony has jumped on the bandwagon and introduced Internet capabilities to their already-existing PlayStation 2 (and God only knows what diabolical plans they have in store for us in the future, besides bodysnatching and world domination), and Microsoft has incorporated it's knowledge of PC's and the Internet, to produce the second Internet-ready console (and ultimately come up with an over-sized black box that crashes, JUST LIKE A PC LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, when you play it).

In my opinion, the Internet is genuinely ruining the console industry. Whatever happened to the days when we didn't care about whether or not we could play console games online? Hell, we didn't even care if we could even save our games! Whatever happened to when we all use to own a SNES, or a Mega Drive, or any of the other consoles on the market, and we simply played games on them? The best days for consoles were lodged firmly in the 16 bit era - the SNES and the Mega Drive, namely - where we had to fantastic consoles on which to play great games from two of the world's greatest games developers of all time. These were the days where we used to sit down with a group of friends and just play games, and not worry about connecting to the Internet and playing against someone who we'd never met and couldn't see, which takes the heart and soul out of multiplayer gaming completely.

So now, we've got every company under the Sun all fighting each other, trying to come up with ideas that will set their online console a cut above the others. And because of this, that's all anyone cares about. In my time, I've owned a Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, PlayStation and N64... and not once did I ever think to myself, "Wouldn't it be great to play these games online?". Because, it's the effort that the developer puts into the game, or the company puts into the console, that makes it worthwhile... it's got nothing to do with whether or not you can play against Sex_God184. Nothing at all.
Mon 09/09/02 at 12:02
Regular
"Remember me?"
.... I can safely say that I would not care one damn bit.

Shall I tell you why?! OK, I will...

When it comes to games consoles these days, all I hear is "Is it going to go online?" Right then... why is it, all of a sudden, so compulsary that when a new console is released, it has - or will have - online capabilities?

I've been "in to" videogames since I was a wee nipper, and up until the Dreamcast, everything was fine... hunky dorey, as they say. But as soon as the Dreamcast is announced as being the first console to go online, and SEGA start spouting rubbish like "Up to 6 billion players", the whole world goes in an online gaming orgy, and before you know it, every console manufacturing company is trying to out-do each other by telling everyone that their console is going to be online and it's going to revolutionise the console industry (with the exception of Nintendo, who - although they have announced that the Gamecube will go online in the "near future" - have hardly uttered two words about their 128 bit console's online doo-dads).

Um, one word: No. The console industry was already revolutionised by the Dreamcast's online capabilities (as awful as they were), so when a console goes online now, it's hardly the newest idea to be plucked, is it? Now the obvious argument to me saying that would be, "Well, consoles are going to use Broadband now" or something along those lines. My experience of Broadband leads me to believe that faster Internet connections are the only advantage, so - although this would eliminate things like lagging - it's still not likely to set the console industry on fire.

Nintendo, to be honest, seem to be the only company that are being rational about this Internet business, and indeed the whole idea of a videogames console. They're not interested in whether or not their console plays DVD's or CD's, or if the console is Internet-ready at the exact moment you buy it. They've so far just stuck to what they know best: making great consoles, on which to play great games. When you have companies like Sony and Microsoft entering the console industry... THAT's when consoles suffer. Both companies in question were leading manufacturers in other electronic equipment before they started the manufacturing of games consoles, so they think that by inter-breeding their knowledge of electronics (or in Microsoft's case, PC's that have a tendency to crash), then they will produce a superior console that will blow all others out of the water.

So Sony has jumped on the bandwagon and introduced Internet capabilities to their already-existing PlayStation 2 (and God only knows what diabolical plans they have in store for us in the future, besides bodysnatching and world domination), and Microsoft has incorporated it's knowledge of PC's and the Internet, to produce the second Internet-ready console (and ultimately come up with an over-sized black box that crashes, JUST LIKE A PC LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, when you play it).

In my opinion, the Internet is genuinely ruining the console industry. Whatever happened to the days when we didn't care about whether or not we could play console games online? Hell, we didn't even care if we could even save our games! Whatever happened to when we all use to own a SNES, or a Mega Drive, or any of the other consoles on the market, and we simply played games on them? The best days for consoles were lodged firmly in the 16 bit era - the SNES and the Mega Drive, namely - where we had to fantastic consoles on which to play great games from two of the world's greatest games developers of all time. These were the days where we used to sit down with a group of friends and just play games, and not worry about connecting to the Internet and playing against someone who we'd never met and couldn't see, which takes the heart and soul out of multiplayer gaming completely.

So now, we've got every company under the Sun all fighting each other, trying to come up with ideas that will set their online console a cut above the others. And because of this, that's all anyone cares about. In my time, I've owned a Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, PlayStation and N64... and not once did I ever think to myself, "Wouldn't it be great to play these games online?". Because, it's the effort that the developer puts into the game, or the company puts into the console, that makes it worthwhile... it's got nothing to do with whether or not you can play against Sex_God184. Nothing at all.
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:18
Regular
Then again, 16 players gives so much more possibilities than just 4...
And simulants just aren't the same.

I might get an Xbox purely for it's online capabilities.
Then again, these capabilities are useless to the majority who don't pay a fortune of broadband access...
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:21
Regular
"i am fubby"
i can't be bothered to read it...but i love online games! playing with your mates over the internet is great fun, especially on games like quake 3, unreal torny and red alert 2
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:28
Regular
In many ways, I agree with what Dark Mark is saying here.

Developers need to direct their efforts into producing better gameplay, new visual styles and more originality - this is what the industry needs.
I fear that the coming obsession with online console gaming will detract from this.
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:33
Regular
"i am fubby"
you've got a point there nomad soul
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:34
Regular
"i am fubby"
i would prefer to play a blinding game instead of a mediocor game with a mediocor online capabilitie
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:37
Regular
Then again, there is also plenty of scope for new ideas by putting games online. Obviously offline games shouldn't be neglected, but I don't see that happening.
Mon 09/09/02 at 16:39
Regular
"i am fubby"
you got a valid point to
Mon 09/09/02 at 17:12
Regular
"A man with a stick"
Online gaming is much more hostile than a simple 2-4 player game. The people you play against are people you will probably never know, so they will never give you any respect.

This leads to team based games, which aren't played as teams, if you have no respect, nobody will follow your orders and leave you with a game where you actually feel like your playing alone.

Overrated if you ask me, god knows why so many people think going online is the future.
Mon 09/09/02 at 17:35
Regular
Dang. I wrote a big post and then it deleted itself.

Basically the idea was:

Online gaming is boring, and team games are un-interesting and dull.

What is fun is sitting around a large TV with three mates talking, jokeing and shouting at/with each other whilst I kick their ar*e at Goldeneye, and then rub it in afterwards.

Mario Kart is one of the best multi-player games ever, and theres strong rumours that it will be going online. But will it be fun? No. What are you going to do? Go online, join/start a game, race through the 4 tracks in the championship, then leave and start/join another game. Big whoop. And seeing as theres no way in hell you'd play Mario Kart (and most other console games) with a keyboard, you aren't exactly going to be saying much are you? It will be a silent, lifeless race. And although the X-box has voice communication, it still isn't even half as good.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.