GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Another Christmas rush ahead of us?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/09/02 at 14:55
Regular
Well, its coming up that time of the year again. Christmas. Although still a fair few months off yet, its around about now that all the bigger games of the year start to come out after the rather bleak summers we seem to have on the gaming front. Almost 2 years on since the release of the PS2 this seems to have become quite a common thing, not sure if this really happens on the other consoles, but with the GC and X-box playing a little bit of a catch up game you would have thought they would have had a steady flow of games coming out all the time. Not totally sure though.

Already have some of the big games started to hit the shelves. The Stuntman came out only this passing Friday, and then next Friday some more big releases such as Conflict Desert Storm is out too. So this looks like the beginning of the Christmas era of gaming for 2002. For months now even the games that aren’t coming out till November time have been showcased in Mags and the likes of the public events such as Playstation Experience. We all know about the likes of GTA: Vice City, Pro Evo 2, Timesplitters 2, Tomb Raider ect are all in development. I cant keep count of the number of titles coming out in the coming months that are expected to be the cream of the crops, and im sure your all the same as me, waiting in anticipation for more than at least 3 of these games, i know there’s at least 5 i want off the top of my head.

But, to me, there seems to be one thing wrong with all this.

Looking back across the year, since last Christmas, i have only bought around 4 new games. Not because i was loosing interest, but because there wasn’t much coming out that i wanted around this time. Im sure im not alone there. So, over 7/8 months i have only bought 4 games, yet over the next 2 months i want 5, and im sure that’s going to rise.

So, does this suggest anything? Is this a mixture of us being spoilt over the next few months with many many great titles on the line for us to get? You certainly can’t deny that there are more then enough top titles to pick from this winter. But, who ever decides to put all these games at the back end of the year all collectively, are they doing the right thing?

Personally, i don’t really think i can afford to go out there and buy 5 or more games over a short space of time. Although i haven’t been buying many games over the year, it doesn’t mean that i have been saving the whole time waiting for the 'gold rush' of games. There are other things one need in life other than games.

Again, im sure im not alone in this. Surely, it would be in Sony's, and the developer’s best interests to sell more copies of all their big games that come out, and the way i see it at the moment, if there are so many games coming out over a short space of time, surely one of these big titles are going to suffer under all the competition, they may not deserve to, but its going to happen. So rather than cram them all into a short space of time, why not spread them out? Developers have more than one game that comes out at Christmas so they could release one at the beginning of the year and their next big title and the end of the year. If enough developers did this, then that would more than likely cure the summer droughts of games that we usually have. Plus, it could even benefit us greatly too. If the developers want there games to sell in the middle of the year then there going to have to work hard to make sure that they are good and so that they will sell. Gamers aren’t as daft as they used to be, with all the information at our hands in these days we can decide and see what’s going to be big and what’s not. So for this to work, if the developers put the work in, then they are going to get the rewards too.

This idea however, is not something that’s going to happen sometime soon I feel. We all know that the Christmas rush is the one time in the year that every different company in the world makes most of there yearly money from. So for a developer to pull there games out of this time of the year would be like suicide in the current climate of the gaming industry, and this is set to continue until one big company would try it. But if all the developers would for a year give this idea a try then i believe that there would be improvements for both us the gamers, and developers. We could buy more games over the year as we would be able to pace ourselves, after all, none of us like the idea of spending £250 in 2 months compared to spending the same amount over 7 months. And then the developers would benefit also, after all, if the games are good enough they are going to sell no matter when they are released during the year.

Maybe its something that Sony, the developers and the rest of the gaming industry on a whole need to look at.
Tue 10/09/02 at 15:52
Regular
"360: swfcman"
Pop

Oh and cheers SR.
Mon 09/09/02 at 10:30
Regular
Triple_H wrote:

>But I for
> one, do not want to play games in the summer-I want to be out and
> about, playing sports and stuff like that.

I thought you lived in England...when do we get good summers? :D

But point taken. Still, i think if we had the games to play during the summer then we would play them for certain, you only have to look at the one big summer release, FFX, to tell that every PS2 owner nearly got this game and played it a hell of a lot over the summer, the amount of topics it got from different people in here goes someway to prove that.

Also, after all, we can only play sports so much during the day, its not like any of us, no matter how much we would want to, can play sports all day everyday, so there would always be time for some gaming. Since everyone hangs around with there friends during the summer (if your on your summers hols that is) then maybe there should be like a theme of multiplayer games that come out or something.

We just need an influx of summer games to see what happens.
Sun 08/09/02 at 22:42
Regular
"You Bum!!"
Ye there is no doubt whatsoever that developers want to cash in on our goodwill.They know we will be nice to everyone round Christams time and are going to get presents for people that are close to us.They also know everyone will have a lot of money to spend.And whereas, you can count the good games released over the first 9 months of the year on your left hand,Christmas sees so many of them released at once.But I must say I am quite happy that this is the case.

You may think, why not release a good game in the summer when you are likely to attract everyone's attention while other developers will be working night and day to get their games ready for Christmas.But I for one, do not want to play games in the summer-I want to be out and about, playing sports and stuff like that.Christmas time is the best time of the year-this is when you get into a festive mood and feel good about stuff.And its then-on dark cold evenings, that I want to enjoy playing as many great games as possible.I loved playing games like Jak and Daxter on a sunny Christmas morning last year-this was truly enjoyable.And I personally feel that whereas developers have money in mind more than anything else, we still benefit from them making good games in time for Christmas
Sun 08/09/02 at 20:30
Regular
Gridloch wrote:
> there is nothing stoping you buying some of the the games you want in
> another month of the year. Buy 2 or 3 before xmas and buy 1 or 2 in
> febuary or something.

True, thats something everyone could do.

But theres that age old problem of falling behind with the times and playing older games when there are newer games out. I want to be playing the best games when there out so i can play the better games when they finally hit the shops.

All down to what and when you want to play the games.

Still, the games are too cramped up at the end of the year, they need spreading a little.
Sun 08/09/02 at 18:02
"For the horde!!!!"
there is nothing stoping you buying some of the the games you want in another month of the year. Buy 2 or 3 before xmas and buy 1 or 2 in febuary or something.
Sun 08/09/02 at 17:18
Regular
Good post Dame.

I havent bought a game since December last year when i got SSX Tricky, i won MGS2 and then swapped it for GT3 platinum a month later.

Since january i have been waiting for Conflict : Desert Storm to come out and now finally it is coming out on friday, but then next month GTA vice city comes out and that means that i won't be able to play Desert storm as much as i really want to because of Vice city.

No games interest me except them two now :S
Sun 08/09/02 at 16:39
Regular
I agree with everyone's comments.

Developers think we have more money around Christmas but that just isn't true. I think of 9 that i want off the top of my head. Too many indeed.

Maybe games developers should bring some of their big games out during the summer months.

Good post btw Pro Evo
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:45
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Resi Evil is what I'd get. That is, if I had the cash..

*sob*
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:45
Regular
"sdomehtongng"
Good post Pro Evo.

But I'd have to say that I don't want many games that will be released around the Christmas period. All I want now from my PS2 before Christmas is Pro Evo 2 and Smack Down: Shut Your Mouth and then I'll be one happy bunny.

I also want my own Stuntman, and not one that my mate let me borrow while he's away on holiday. It rocks so much and I don't think I'll be able to part with it when he returns from holiday. :-D
Sun 08/09/02 at 15:44
Regular
"Gamertag Star Fury"
I know what you mean, it's ridiculous that Sony seem to think our income suddenly jumps around Christmas by an extra £200 a month. Apart from Medal Of Honour and a few others it's been a veritable gaming desert on the PS2. It was so bad around May that the decision to buy a Gamecube for alongside my PS2 was easy - it had games, good ones ! Now, this weekend, it ets tricky - Conflict Desert Storm or Resident Evil on GC ? Or, money to Sony or money to Nintendo ? I still like my PS2 but my £36 is going to Nintendo this Friday....

~~Belldandy~~

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.