GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Perfection"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 08/09/02 at 12:51
Regular
The videogames business is a predominantly male domain. The majority of gamers are male and the developers do everything they can to attract their attention with blood, gore, and female characters that have a waist so tiny that in reality it would snap with the weight of the massive boobs that these characters posess. What do us girls get? A short and fat plumber, an Arnold Scwartzenegger lookalike who is fasinated with naked women and James Bond. That doesn't bother me too much. After all, I prefer to fantasise over real people than 3D animations. However, I am sick of these games that are supposedly designed for girls, such as the "Mary-Kate and Ashley" and "Barbie" range of games - which are so boring!

There is a question that I have been asked frequently (not by the same person though), and that is, 'Wouldn't you prefer games which are full of cute and cuddliness instead of the same bloody and gorey titles that are designed to attract male gamers?'

Sure, I may be a girl, but does that necessarily mean I can't like some of the same things boys do? After all, I like the James Bond movies, The Terminator movies, the Star Wars movies; Are you going to try to tell me that no boys here liked the more 'cutesy' movies such as Shrek, Toy Story and Monsters Inc? It is the same with the videogames business. Girls and boys can like different genres alike, maybe for different reasons, but it can happen.

Occasionally, I am asked by some people, "If you could make the perfect game for yourself, what would it be like?" Well obviously, if I knew that, I would be a very rich business-woman selling the game and involving more girls into the world of videogaming.

Perfection is something that cannot be achieved in a videogame. Not even Official Playstation 2 Magazine could say that Timeplitters 2 was perfect. They may have given it 10/10, but one of their scores for a particular element of the games was 9/10. It's just not feasable to create a perfect game.

So maybe I cannot say what would be included in the game, but I can describe what would make a game seem well above average to myself. To me, the near-perfect game would have an unpredictable storyline. One with unusual plot twists that don't spoil the game. It would also have to include a wide variety of play. So, for example, if it was a First Person Shooter (FPS) then it would certainly have to be more than just a run -> shoot -> hide -> shoot -> run -> etc. The game would have to be simple to play, yet difficult to complete, with visuals that look clean and crisp, even if they aren't fully 3D worlds - after all, 3D graphics aren't everything in a game. The music would have to be brilliantly atmospheric, or atleast something that both suits the game and is still a joy to listen to. After all, there's nothing more off-putting than badly written music.

Infact, there are many different detirmining factors as to what would make a game brilliant, but again, if I went into too much detail, would the game still seem near-perfect to me? I enjoy the unpredictability of videogames - such as the storyline of Skies of Arcadia. I was quite suprised to see Aika, the main female character, nearly get raped by an evil Valuan commander that it felt a joy to rescue her. That is why, although I already have a copy of Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast, I will also be buying the now GameCube exclusive Skies of Arcadia.

Skies of Arcadia is my favourite game. It was full of unpredictability, drama, and required skill and intelligence to complete. It was a passionate storyline full of emotion and also incorporated the sad truths of real life such as war, poverty and the human urge to conquer. The music was fantastic, suited every moment and even changed in-battle whether you were winning or losing! It was such a brilliant game that even though I now know what's coming, I'm still going to be hooked to it on my GameCube when it is eventually released. The game could still be improved upon, but even so, it is still my favourite game.

So if you are ever asked what would make the perfect game. Don't rush straight in with some funny-duddy ideas on how it could be similar to a particular Playstation 2 game, or include elements from a game on the X-box. Think about it carefully and consider what it is that makes that games you really enjoy seem so amazingly fun to play. If a game was too similar to another, would you still insist on buying it?

Thankyou for reading.
Dani.
Tue 10/09/02 at 17:48
Regular
up_in_smoke wrote:
> how old are you again cc?

Didn't she give an indication - twice, in this topic?
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:19
Yes look at me and my ego, it must be so obvious from the way I type na dhte font I'm using.

Jeez you really put up a good argument Mr Sniper, anyone would think you keep saying the same boring comment over and over.

Silly them...
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:14
Regular
sigh neva stop ..... ego.
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:13
Good question Sniper, it's the same as why do people change sexes? why is the earth round? why do you moan so much?

It's one of those mystery's that we will never know the answer too.
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:10
Regular
why do ppl change subject.....
Mon 09/09/02 at 19:02
Regular
how old are you again cc?
Mon 09/09/02 at 18:58
I still can't believe this topic has changed from what it was to what it now is!
Mon 09/09/02 at 18:15
Regular
"Jags is teh l33t"
i was going to write something funny here but i can't think of anything.
Mon 09/09/02 at 18:15
Regular
Anyone ever seen the film "Kung-pow: Enter the Fist"?
Mon 09/09/02 at 18:01
An Internet stud...that's a first

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.