GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originality risk"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 06/09/02 at 16:08
Regular
I am not that keen on getting the new freeloader, it’s a nice idea being able to play games from other companies without chipping, but I am a patient guy. I’d much rather play the games when my friends get the games. But what of those Japanese games that never make it over here? Well most of them happen to be either dance games or dating games, which to be honest would sell like a used pair of underwear and I certainly wouldn’t buy them. The majority of Japanese games that reach our shores are often the best games we play and not only that are the biggest games in the world. Lets look at Squaresoft for example; Final Fantasy constantly hits the number one spot each time it is released in any country! Resident Evil is another third party smash hit Japanese game, selling millions everywhere it is released. Then we have the cream of the crop, the Nintendo and SEGA releases, Sonic, Mario, Zelda and Phantasy Star Online all of which sells like anything wherever it goes.

Nintendo guarantee themselves success with games such as Mario, after all he is the worlds most famous plumber, the sales of his recent outing proves that, but what of their weird Japanese games? Nintendo constantly fail to release games in Europe and America, which would sell well. For example during the SNES era the incredible Super Mario RPG never got released and on the N64 there was the critically acclaimed shooter, Sin and Punishment. Nevertheless with the recent instability of the Japanese market Nintendo look to the west for its profits. Pikmin is in fact a very Japanese Esq. concept and the fact that it was released over here and sold well means that Nintendo can feel a little more confident about what they release over here. But Pikmin despite being weird really doesn’t match up to the weirdness of Nintendo’s other smash hit games from Japan. The success of these games in Europe and America is not guaranteed. These two games are Doshin the Giant and Animal Crossing (previously Animal Forest +) and Nintendo are running the gauntlet by releasing them in the coming month.

Now before you raise an eyebrow about both of them coming out in the following month I mean Doshin the Giant in Europe and Animal Crossing in America. For those of you who don’t know, Doshin the Giant is about a friendly giant called Doshin that helps villagers build their own civilisation and the more you help the bigger you get. But of course in true Black and White style you can be a bad giant called Jashin who loves to destroy things with his fire breath as he flies through the air. Doshin the Giant is scheduled for a September 20th release (too soon) and got rave reviews from the likes of Famitsu (Japanese magazine). Doshin the Giant is in fact and upgrade of the failed 64DD game that only made it to Japan, Animal Crossing also got its original release in Japan on the N64 and has been re-released for the Gamecube. Animal Crossing is a game where you live through the life with your character. It is in real time so when it is winter it will snow and during the autumn leaves fall. You can get a job, play NES games (downloadable onto your GBA) and make friends (to name but a few things). The GBA link up is used here as well and the game despite being and upgrade of an old N64 game got 37/40 in Famitsu magazine.

Now these games are very much a test of the two western markets and to see if they will except Japanese games or not. Doshin the Giant will be testing out Europe but what if this under hyped game doesn’t sell well? It means that future games similar to this may never reach these shores and that includes Animal Crossing. Nintendo are determined to do well with these games in the west, they have already shown their commitment to us after making games such as Eternal Darkness and Metroid Prime both from American second party developers. In the UK we have our nice new website and advertisement has been surprisingly good. Super Mario Sunshine is evidence of Nintendo’s new attitude with shorter times between the release dates in the various continents and the game featured English talking characters. The Japanese saw this as unfair on their children as they can’t understand it. It was obviously because of the new recognition of the west. But can Doshin’s giant footsteps follow the tiny ones left by the Pikmin or will it sell as well as last years Paper Mario. It won’t bother me too much if Japanese style games don’t make it over here, as long as Animal Crossing sells a bundle in America. After all this is where the new Freeloader goes from a nice extra to a full-blown necessity.

So with Nintendo claiming that after the “biggest software line up ever” they will follow with the “most original software line up ever” will we see more weird and zany Japanese games? The only piece of evidence we have is the future release of Giftipa an, erm, gift-giving game, which looks very much like an Animal Crossing style game. And then there is the rumour of an online version of Animal Crossing as well. The coming months are extremely important in deciding the future of Nintendo’s more original concepts in the west. So what are you waiting for, pre-order Doshin the Giant now for just £36.99 from Special Reserve.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Sun 08/09/02 at 19:34
Regular
Sibs wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> You're turning into a right little sibs here strafex. Hmmmm Animal
> Crossing lasts forever.
>
> I hope that was a compliment!!!
>
> :D

Yep, both of you always reply to my posts.
Sat 07/09/02 at 01:02
Regular
I'll be getting a copy of Doshin, looks good in a weird Japanease way. Should keep me busy till Timesplitters 2.
Sat 07/09/02 at 00:43
Regular
I have an english ROM of Mario RPG, I could send it to you if you want.
Sat 07/09/02 at 00:09
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
I loved Earthbound. I downloaded a ROM for it, and it ruled. I would also love to get Mario RPG someday, though all the ROMs of it seem to be Jap versions... and I don't speak Japanese as far as I'm aware.

Doshin looks... interesting... though I'm unsure about it... like a fair few games it'll go on the list of things to get if/when I can get it cheap.
Fri 06/09/02 at 23:59
Regular
"Peace Respect Punk"
Dringo wrote:

I hope that was a compliment!!!

:D
Fri 06/09/02 at 22:57
Regular
Dringo wrote:

Yeah, but forever might get dull or tiresome if it's small with relatively little to do.

And a little Sibs?
What's that supposed to mean? :-D
???
Fri 06/09/02 at 22:26
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Whitestripes wrote:
> I'm definatly buying Doshin, and I don't want a freeloader, but I'm
> getting one just so I can import Animal Crossing. Also, Super Mario
> RPG is one of the best games ever, they were stupid not to release
> it
> here, and Earthbound.
>
> That is how i feel.

Great minds blah blah blah
Fri 06/09/02 at 21:59
Regular
Whitestripes wrote:
> I'm definatly buying Doshin, and I don't want a freeloader, but I'm
> getting one just so I can import Animal Crossing. Also, Super Mario
> RPG is one of the best games ever, they were stupid not to release it
> here, and Earthbound.

That is how i feel.
Fri 06/09/02 at 18:08
Regular
"Festivus!"
Doshin looks buy-worthy, but Animal crossing sounds good with the NES games
Fri 06/09/02 at 16:59
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
I may get it, but only for Japan or US only games. I'll still buy PAL all that I can.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.