GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What next gen console will you get?"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 27/05/06 at 22:14
"possibly impossible"
Are you planning to get any of the new consoles? Have your eye on an Xbox360, PS3 or Wii?

What are your thoughts on all of them (ooh, risky console wars again here)?

Personally, the headstart the 360 has is good for Microsoft, I think they could probably complete quite well if they had launched at the same time as PS3, due to their price point and launch game lineup, but there are so many Sony fans, and for good reason, that they'd still struggle a bit. Launching first means people get excited about the first Next-gen machine, even if it isn't half as powerful as PS3 (allegedly). The Wii is unknown territory, not sure how it will do but the loyal band of Ninty followers will ensure good sales on day 1, together with the new Nintendo fans who came along with the DS.

But then, does it matter who makes the *most* sales? As long as all of them make a profit and get enough people on board their console they'll be happy. I believe that these 3 new platforms will be the most diverse yet and will therefore be able to cater to a larger demographic than ever before, meaning more customers for all of them.
Sat 27/05/06 at 22:14
"possibly impossible"
Are you planning to get any of the new consoles? Have your eye on an Xbox360, PS3 or Wii?

What are your thoughts on all of them (ooh, risky console wars again here)?

Personally, the headstart the 360 has is good for Microsoft, I think they could probably complete quite well if they had launched at the same time as PS3, due to their price point and launch game lineup, but there are so many Sony fans, and for good reason, that they'd still struggle a bit. Launching first means people get excited about the first Next-gen machine, even if it isn't half as powerful as PS3 (allegedly). The Wii is unknown territory, not sure how it will do but the loyal band of Ninty followers will ensure good sales on day 1, together with the new Nintendo fans who came along with the DS.

But then, does it matter who makes the *most* sales? As long as all of them make a profit and get enough people on board their console they'll be happy. I believe that these 3 new platforms will be the most diverse yet and will therefore be able to cater to a larger demographic than ever before, meaning more customers for all of them.
Sat 27/05/06 at 22:30
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
In an ideal world, I'd probably get all 3. As it stands, I'd probably get a 360 first, Wii 2nd and a PS3 3rd, just because of the price that the PS3 is coming out at.
Sat 27/05/06 at 22:34
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I've got a 360, but the one i'm waiting for is the Wii...

The thing is, i've been playing games since I was about 4. I'm still just as bad at most of them, but there's a huge difference between being bad at something an enjoying it, and being bad at something and hating it.

I love fun. I hate doing things because I think I should like them. The amount of games i've bought because of critical acclaim, because my friend recommended them or because they look good has stung me way too many times - i'm embarassed not to have learnt my lesson. I will now, though.

The Wii offers everything I personally need from a system. My average gaming session (excluding 'Halo Night' is about 30 minutes. I can play a couple of levels of Mario Galaxy, start a dungeon in Zelda, challenge my Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection friends to a round of Wii Sports or maybe just remember old times with some Virtual Console downloads. The thing is, we've been inundated with PS3 and 360 titles that look great, sound great and probably play great; but the length of time one has to put in just isn't what i'm after. I have a 360 at the mo and PD0, Kameo, PGR3, DOA4 and GRAW have all been started (15% complete?) and not finished. I just get bored too quickly..

So, even if some Nintendo games aren't particularly long, I can still enjoy them and warrant paying £30 for them. I play a lot of games online... i'm addicted, not to competition, but to interaction. I love team games. Football, Cricket, Rugby.. the exception being golf... which can be a team game. I like playing with and against other people. So the fact that my Brother will play Pro Evo once a week doesn't cut it. However, the fact that absolutely ANY ONE of my family will play me (or each other) at Wii tennis does. I don't care if they aren't very good - neither am I - I just want people to join in.

I guess it goes back to the old ideal of humans not wanting to be alone. That's why you find a girlfriend, it's why you have friends, it's why you go clubbing, to football matches or even to the gym? I want to play games with people. Not only TEXASCHiCK83 and ICI-Kill3R on LIVE, or Phil Harrison or Kaz Hirai on PlayStation HUB (Let's face it, will anyone else actually go on there? Hehe). I want to play with people. People.

The Wii is perfect for me. I believe there's definitely a place in the market for all three. But if you actually look at what gaming is for - social, interactive fun - you can't deny it hits the spot. Graphics, HD-Readiness, Digital Sound and CPU Power aside, the Wii is a gamers machine. It's developed from people who have a heart for gaming.
Sun 28/05/06 at 00:10
Regular
"Picking a winner!"
Got a 360 at the moment.
Not much about the Wii excities me at the moment - maybe closer to release more games will draw me in, as well as the cheap price.

If I can afford it I may consider getting all 3, depends what games I want and what consoles they are available on.
Sun 28/05/06 at 09:42
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
I went for XBox 360.

It's out now.
It has FFXI on it.
Forza 2 will be out on it.
I got through four PS2s and don't fancy doing that again with the PS3.
PS3 lost rumble, meaning that you'll see silly things in the next Gran Turismo like rumble strips being re-named 'kerbs' or something.
Microsoft now have the massive third party support that was usually Sony's trump card.
My gaming room doesn't have room to swing a cat (I tried) let alone a Wii controller.
Sun 28/05/06 at 13:29
Regular
"Devil in disguise"
I really want to buy the next gen consoles, struggling for reasons at the moment though. I think I'll probably end up with a PS3 though. Waving a remote control about doesnt interest me and the 360 has alot of support but not in the right areas for me.
Sun 28/05/06 at 13:41
Regular
I'm sure we'll end up getting them all, my younger brother is more into xbox and my older brother more into playstation. I have a Gamecube but I hardly play it. We dont have the 360 yet but I'd love to play it.
Sun 28/05/06 at 19:26
Regular
""none""
I'm going straight for the WII and PS3 on launch. These to are not something to wait for. Xbox 360 is not looking too good. Microsoft did'nt make a good move going for the games industry.
Sun 28/05/06 at 19:36
"possibly impossible"
Ninja_Reborn wrote:
> Microsoft did'nt make a good move going for the games industry.

As in it's first attempt becoming the second platform in a 3 console race sales wise, having the most famous FPS (and to some people, arguably the most accessible and even best), a top range of games and support from many 3rd party developers including Rare from the off or that its second attempt is hailed as a success by games enthusiasts and looks set to continue the strong games lineup and far better online support for any console?
Sun 28/05/06 at 21:06
Regular
Xbox 360 and Wii for me.

I already have the 360, the Wii offers me a new way to play games, as well as a huge back catalogue of previous Nintendo, SEGA and various third party titles.

The PS3 doesn't offer me anything new. So there's the two-handed motion controller - surely that would work better with one hand (and leave more possibilities open). Plus for the price of the PS3, I can have twice the fun with Xbox 360 and Wii...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.