GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stunt Car Racer Update? Yes Pleeeaaasssee!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/09/02 at 21:18
Regular
Anyone remember 'Stunt Car Racer' on the Amiga 500? Please say yes!! I have been waiting for an update of this game since games have advanced to 3D. I've been waiting so long that now I am losing hope... sob.

SCR was a stunt game but putting it in the catogery of todays stunt games just doesn't do it justice. Other stunt games should beg for mercy as this is the true King of them all, unmatched, unriveled making todays stunt titles seem like 'jesters' for the purpose of making the King laugh.

SRC was one of the first games to be 3D. The graphics were very basic but framerate was smooth. The aim of the game was to race against an opponent one by one and progressing on to a tougher one and a tougher track. What can I say about the tracks? The most scariest tracks in any game I played. They were full ridges, there were no barriers protecting you from falling off the side and when you did............ you're heart sunk like nothing before. The tracks consisted of huuuuuuge jumps, bumps and banked corners.

Two of my favourite tracks were:

Rollercoaster - A rollercoaster style track very high above the ground with all the twists and turns, huge jumps and dips (imagine trying to control the car before a banked turn or a huge jump/dip at around 100 metres above the ground without the safty of hitting into the wall on the side if you mess up!).

The Ski Jump: In the Ski Jump circuit at one point, there is a absolutely 'massive' ramp. With controlled speed you are meant to jump of the the ramp and over an even higher platform and then land safely (hopefully) on the other end.

Once a jump or a stunt is performed, the satisfaction you get is unrivalled. But if it goes horribly wrong or you fall of the side, the sick feeling is (unfotunately!) also unrivalled. The game is as such that you almost spend as much time in the air as on the cicuit!

The car (only one available) itself also has character, its a kind of a drag racer. It breathes fire as you go turbo speed. I't has a very bouncy suspension and this adds the challenge to the game. You maybe able to make the corner at full speed but once you enter the banked corner you just lose control by bouncing off slightly and fall off. If you do a jump too fast you do a bad landing by hitting a bump in the track. Controlling the speed and timing the corners is the key to mastering the game.

The producer of the Game, Geoff Crammond is a very talented guy. He has made a monster. Now he shouldn't neglect that monster or it might die, it needs attention!

2Dashing
Fri 06/09/02 at 17:10
Regular
Na†ßu© wrote:
> I had it on the Atari ST. There was characters like Road Hog that
> looked like John Major.

yeah, heh, I remember that. And the only way you could seperate sky from ground was the change in colour...
Fri 06/09/02 at 17:07
Regular
Why isn't there an update of this game aarrrghhhhhh!!
Fri 06/09/02 at 11:29
Regular
"  "
I had it on the Atari ST. There was characters like Road Hog that looked like John Major.
Thu 05/09/02 at 22:50
Regular
yeah I remember it, you had those dodgy 3d grafix, and you had tracks called 'the drawbridge' and 'the rollercoaster'. I used to get as much speed up as possible and wipe my car out in wicked style. Happy days.

I have it on the amiga emulator....
Thu 05/09/02 at 21:18
Regular
Anyone remember 'Stunt Car Racer' on the Amiga 500? Please say yes!! I have been waiting for an update of this game since games have advanced to 3D. I've been waiting so long that now I am losing hope... sob.

SCR was a stunt game but putting it in the catogery of todays stunt games just doesn't do it justice. Other stunt games should beg for mercy as this is the true King of them all, unmatched, unriveled making todays stunt titles seem like 'jesters' for the purpose of making the King laugh.

SRC was one of the first games to be 3D. The graphics were very basic but framerate was smooth. The aim of the game was to race against an opponent one by one and progressing on to a tougher one and a tougher track. What can I say about the tracks? The most scariest tracks in any game I played. They were full ridges, there were no barriers protecting you from falling off the side and when you did............ you're heart sunk like nothing before. The tracks consisted of huuuuuuge jumps, bumps and banked corners.

Two of my favourite tracks were:

Rollercoaster - A rollercoaster style track very high above the ground with all the twists and turns, huge jumps and dips (imagine trying to control the car before a banked turn or a huge jump/dip at around 100 metres above the ground without the safty of hitting into the wall on the side if you mess up!).

The Ski Jump: In the Ski Jump circuit at one point, there is a absolutely 'massive' ramp. With controlled speed you are meant to jump of the the ramp and over an even higher platform and then land safely (hopefully) on the other end.

Once a jump or a stunt is performed, the satisfaction you get is unrivalled. But if it goes horribly wrong or you fall of the side, the sick feeling is (unfotunately!) also unrivalled. The game is as such that you almost spend as much time in the air as on the cicuit!

The car (only one available) itself also has character, its a kind of a drag racer. It breathes fire as you go turbo speed. I't has a very bouncy suspension and this adds the challenge to the game. You maybe able to make the corner at full speed but once you enter the banked corner you just lose control by bouncing off slightly and fall off. If you do a jump too fast you do a bad landing by hitting a bump in the track. Controlling the speed and timing the corners is the key to mastering the game.

The producer of the Game, Geoff Crammond is a very talented guy. He has made a monster. Now he shouldn't neglect that monster or it might die, it needs attention!

2Dashing

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.