GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Working for RARE how fun would that be :D"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/09/02 at 18:37
Regular
I Love rare there's no "if's" or "but's" about it I simply love that company. Rare is the kind of company that produces quality games no matter what the circumstances. Star fox adventures promises to be one of thier latest triumphs an they've been doing it through out the rumours of going multi format and being bought over etc. Anyway I think that this is the kind of company I would like to work for but I've no idea how to go about getting to work there!I mean what kind of marks do you need at school, what courses at university do you need to take I simply have no idea! If anyone can shed any light on my queery then just post it up thanx :D
Thu 05/09/02 at 23:44
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
excuse the bad writing and stuff, (i've bin drinkin)
Thu 05/09/02 at 23:41
Regular
" ban the Taliban"
Well it just so happens that Iam trying to break into that line of work right now. I've just left school and got my GCSE's and am dedicated to get into the gaming industry. The best way to start my friend is to go through test. No experiance required just the passion for games. Then when yu've done say 3 years of test you apply for higher positions and then try to get a job with Rare if there is one. I have a job package coming to me from Eidos. Hopefully I'll get one. Trust me I've read like 15 web pages of how to start and spoken to many of the main companys about how to do it and stuff. If you're looking for an easy job where all you do is have fun then this is the wrong job for you. Its a lot of hard work (apparently).
Hope this helps.
Quality websites: www.gamestester.com
www.ardvarkswift.com or co.uk (not sure)
www.gatewaytogames.com
www.gamesjobs.co.uk
www.lionhead.com
www.babelmedia.com
Thu 05/09/02 at 23:34
Regular
Cyclone, you got it right the first time! It IS paid! ;-D
Thu 05/09/02 at 23:22
Cubist wrote:
> I Love rare there's no "if's" or "but's" about it
> I simply love that company. Rare is the kind of company that produces
> quality games no matter what the circumstances. Star fox adventures
> promises to be one of thier latest triumphs an they've been doing it
> through out the rumours of going multi format and being bought over
> etc. Anyway I think that this is the kind of company I would like to
> work for but I've no idea how to go about getting to work there!I mean
> what kind of marks do you need at school, what courses at university
> do you need to take I simply have no idea! If anyone can shed any
> light on my queery then just post it up thanx :D

you might want to take a look at this site which is EIDOS's guide to a career in the industry.

www.eidosinteractive.co.uk/corporate/jobs_advices.html

I'm no big authority but I'd say you want to go and do a degree in computer science, physics or maths.
Next week I'll be finishing my masters in computer graphics
www.graphicsmsc.som (note the graphics promoting the course, programmed by my own fair hand)
from next year there is a new course aimed at games programmers
www.mscgames.com/
Thu 05/09/02 at 22:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
*payed!

DAMN!
Thu 05/09/02 at 22:29
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Getting played to playtest the games would be better.

No actual work, just paid previews.......
Thu 05/09/02 at 22:23
Regular
ps2_proud wrote:
> well, isnt that the company who made the real pants beckham games?

No. You're thinking of rage.

>
> oh, the next time your in your local games store, look in the game boy
> section for a game called Go Go Beckham. its also pants.

I'll take your word for it as I really don't care...

As for working at Rare, it's probably not so much fun as seriously stressful - with all the deadlines and high expectations... etc.
Thu 05/09/02 at 19:26
Regular
"previously phuzzy."
Working for RARE would be groovy ... making and playing RARE games before everyone else ... sweet ...
Thu 05/09/02 at 19:01
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
ps2_proud wrote:
> well, isnt that the company who made the real pants beckham games?
>
> oh, the next time your in your local games store, look in the game boy
> section for a game called Go Go Beckham. its also pants.

1. Have you PLAYED Go Go Beckham?

2. WHAT THE HELL?! Do you know nothing? RARE! GOLDENEYE! PERFECT DARK! DONKEY KONG 64! BANJO KAZOOIE!

Oh, and the point of that 'diary' was to poke fun at how all rare seems to do these days is sit around, hinting that they're going third party and reading on all these internet message boards how cool SFA will be when really they've just been working on this one frankly mediocre looking game for over a year now.
Thu 05/09/02 at 18:57
Regular
well, isnt that the company who made the real pants beckham games?

oh, the next time your in your local games store, look in the game boy section for a game called Go Go Beckham. its also pants.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.