GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Owen. Captain?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 05/09/02 at 10:25
Regular
According to this mornings news reports Michael Owen will be made skipper for the up and coming friendly match with Portugal.

Now, I was against Shearer becoming Captain just because I feel that you cant really lead from right up the front of the field, but I accepted the fact that he was the most respected fooballer in the side (by the other footballing Nations that is) and therefore it was a psychological thing.

I guess this the thinking in giving Michael the responsibility, It's just that I don't have to have played with him to see that he is probably one of the least vocal members of the side.

Perhaps I am just old fashioned and I like my Captain to be vocaly assertive.

I am willing to bow to public opinion on this but I would like to know what you all think? Owen for skip? or someone like Ferdinand, who would seem to have more leadership type qualities?
Sat 07/09/02 at 11:45
"Uzi Lover"
In my dream England won 7-3 for some strange reason.

I'm just posting it here incase it happens.
Fri 06/09/02 at 01:03
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Or†ega wrote:
> I suppose Owen may have been made captain to boost his confidence.
> After seeing all those chances he missed against Newcastle he
> definitely needs a boost!

Owen only really missed one clear cut chance and that was the open goal that he managed to completely miss. The rest of the chances were half chancesthat were created by himself. He was being man marked by Dabizas throughout the match as well which didn't help even though owen gave him a torrid time.

On the subject of the england captaincy, I'd prefer to see any of the main back three(Campbell, Seaman and Ferdinand) have it than Owen, even Gerrard I think would be a better choice, he works tirelessly for the teams cause and will inspire the others to do so.
Fri 06/09/02 at 01:02
Regular
"Fetish for sport"
Or†ega wrote:
> I suppose Owen may have been made captain to boost his confidence.
> After seeing all those chances he missed against Newcastle he
> definitely needs a boost!

Owen only really missed one clear cut chance and that was the open goal that he managed to completely miss. The rest of the chances were half chancesthat were created by himself. He was being man marked by Dabizas throughout the match as well which didn't help even though owen gave him a torrid time.

On the subject of the england captaincy, I'd prefer to see any of the main back three(Campbell, Seaman and Ferdinand) have it than Owen, even Gerrard I think would be a better choice, he works tirelessly for the teams cause and will inspire the others to do so.
Thu 05/09/02 at 16:54
Regular
I suppose Owen may have been made captain to boost his confidence. After seeing all those chances he missed against Newcastle he definitely needs a boost!
Thu 05/09/02 at 16:53
Regular
"Long time no see!"
With the exception of Alan Shearer, i've never liked the idea of having a Striker as the team Captain. I've always felt that it needs to be someone positioned more centrally, in the midfield or defence - where all can be seen clearly.

That is why I don't like the idea of Owen - or any other striker - being England's Captain for the time being. I agree that Ferdinand or Campbell would be better. And back at the time, I was hoping Campbell would take-over from Shearer rather than Beckham.

But it looks like it may have worked-out for the best after-all.
And if Beckham was to play more centrally, it could only be even better!#

I still have doubts about Rio though. I still feel he's too young right now. But after being tipped-as 'The Next Bobby Moore', I don't see any reason as to why he can't wear the armband for his country in the future.
Thu 05/09/02 at 16:42
Regular
Um ferdinand or Seaman would be much better. Beckham is ok. Micheal Owen is a very poor choice.
Thu 05/09/02 at 16:23
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Beckham has never been the type of Captain who screams his team-mates into action like Roy Keane or even Shearer.
He's a great Captain because he influences the team in other ways.

It's all in his gameplay, and the leadership skills he shows with the ball at his feet. Owen is a similar player, who can lead a team in the same way. He did well as Captain the first time and deserves another chance too.

Age has nothing to do with it.
Tony Adams became Arsenal's youngest ever Captain at the age of about 22/23 or something...
Thu 05/09/02 at 11:38
Regular
I was against beckham, but not against shearer. Shearer was inspiration and agreat character who everybody knew and trusted in front of goal. his passion and skill was what lead England. Although beckham is undoubtedly a talented football, and maybe in the papers every day he doesn't have much charisma and isn't overly interactive with the others on the pitch. (i always think he is a little immature and ill suited to the role). Micheal Owen is the same. Its the old schoolboy principle of "he is the best player we have, lets make him captain" and it doesn't work. The only real suitable captains we have in the squad at the moment (ill include seaman as he is still part of the setup), are Ferdinand, southgate, maybe Campbell and Seaman. I don't feel anyone else is really suitable for the job in the team. Owens appointment is a bit of a joke really and was last time to.
Thu 05/09/02 at 10:25
According to this mornings news reports Michael Owen will be made skipper for the up and coming friendly match with Portugal.

Now, I was against Shearer becoming Captain just because I feel that you cant really lead from right up the front of the field, but I accepted the fact that he was the most respected fooballer in the side (by the other footballing Nations that is) and therefore it was a psychological thing.

I guess this the thinking in giving Michael the responsibility, It's just that I don't have to have played with him to see that he is probably one of the least vocal members of the side.

Perhaps I am just old fashioned and I like my Captain to be vocaly assertive.

I am willing to bow to public opinion on this but I would like to know what you all think? Owen for skip? or someone like Ferdinand, who would seem to have more leadership type qualities?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.