GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Good Games Horrific Movie's"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/09/02 at 13:57
Regular
The question to one of the unknown questions. Do movie's make an impact on the gaming world and of course vice versa. The answer is simply yes and no. Most game's that are based around a film actually do not follow the original plot line of the film or the games have had extras put it that the film was missing. First up Street Fighter. When the game was realeased it made a huge impact on the older generation consoles such as the megadrive and snes. The movie however lacked certain quality and depth and there were a few famaliar faces not making an appearance in the movie. The actual film was rather corny and didnt seem like streetfigher. M.Bison was the only character you would reccanise. Some characters such as Ken who was japansese in the film where as he was corcasian and had blonde hair in the game.

One of the biggest games in history was about to be released as a world wide movie. Tomb raider leaped onto the big screen and well did it dissapoint. Tomb Raider being one of the biggest games of all time was surely going to be big. However everyones expectations really made the viewers believe it was going to be the experience of a lifetime. All the hype surrounding the film and the gossip and ratings ensured its popularity in the premier of the film. Tomb raider was actually quite a fun film. It had the action the humour and some actions that hardcore gamers may have seen in the game. Once again the film doesn't follow the direct plot of the game. Making a Tomb Raider film and following the exact same plot is rather difficult if not amazingly hard. There are several games out for the Playstation one. The movie blended together a few of the titles to come up with the plot. The adventure's of Lara Croft took her on a journey to find an ancient relic. Now many of the Tomb Raiders are all about finding relics or generally most of them are. The only major let down of the film was maybe it was very corny much like Street Fighter was. It doesn't follow the trend of the convertion from games to movies. Tomb raider is fun and a nice experience but it's not a film that sets it's self apart from other movies.

One of my favourite series of games was converted to a movie and that was "Final Fantasy: The Spirit's Within". The film however unleashed some dissapointment within. Much to my horror i was all geared up for an amazing and quality but i wasnt to be given that oppertunity. The Spirits Within was more of an action film than it was a fantasy film. If you sat a gamer down in front of a Television and let him watch Spirits Within and you asked him what genre it would fall into? The most likely answer would be FPS or action/adventure. The plot follows a young docter who is studing the spirits which are a constant threat to mankind, now I'm sure i have heard that before. The only people to stop the Spirits are an army of troppers that become friends witht he young docter. The troopers all dressed in black look like a low budget Halo game. The animation is quite clever and it does cover some aspect of the fantasy world and mythical beings. I have talked with some Final Fantasy fans who have actually verbally attacked the developers and directors because they thought is was a mediorcre effort to make more money from the fans of the series. Did the film really need to be an animation style of film. It may have been better if it followed a more traditional style of film. The most you can hope for when watching the spirits within is a film you can just watch a few times. Thats the bad points of the movies. The producers seem to always lack in the way of a good budget which is quite strange. Surely if your making a game with mythical spirits and lots of action, then you must need a suitable buged of the film will land flat on its face.

The Webslinging Spiderman brought a new shining gem to the movie industry. The film was intresting, unique and was packed with some humour and action. The effects were well pulled off and i was amazed by the amount of effort put into the costume designs and visuals. Firstly how cool is it when he swings from building to building and then crash's into a billboard. It never brings a dull moment and it really does come along nicely as it unfolds. The game was released after the movie which was expected of course. The game actually followed the plot of the movie wooohooo. The game had the exact same events and scenearios as the film. If your famaliar with both movie and game then you will notice the simalarities. Firstly the murder of Ben, Peter Parkers uncle. This event was also included in the film and in the game it was played with some very tasty cut scenes. We also catch a glimpse of the villain, the Green Goblin who is equipped with his trusty green suit and hovercraft. The gamer conatained some elements that the film didnt cover like Scorpion and Vulture which added more depth to the game. This film is a great example of how the duo of film and game should come together.

Now this is simply horrific. What were these guys thinking, The Mummy Returns. More appropriatly "The bad game returns". The film i enjoyed, the game i cursed. It follows some of the original plot of the game but the games graphics are a severe let down and it doesn't use the potential of the Playstation2. It's predaccessor "The Mummy" was just as bad. The game is so out of it depth it's quite shocking. Games such as these taint the image of gaming today. In my opinion which msot won't agree is that you have to work and push to your full potential. Some of the graphics look like PsOne failures to be brutally honest. The main aim if your a gaming company is to make a game that we all remember. However the company have come accross as a fan project. This is a dilema, good movie and bad game which is a pattern for most of these combinations. The fact alone is quite mind boggling that you have to shell out for this game. The movie is worth your time but when it comes to the game please turn a blind eye.

Now one of the most anticapated film of all time, Star wars episode 2: Attack of the clones. If your more of a console addict you will notice that there hasnt been a single star wars title to thrill you. PC gamers however will beg to differ in the case they have about the same amount of games out which are of better quality. I have been to the cinema twice to see the film frankly becuase it is that damn good. I found some star wars titles lightly entertaining such as jedi power battles but that got tedious and repetative. I actually preffered the Game boy advance titles pureply becuase they were smooth and offered a far more enjoyable gaming experience. On the whole the whol Star Wars saga is far from over. I honestly could not suggest a worthwhile title on any console but if your life unwinds on the PC then i could name a dozen titles that are simply short of amazing. Star Wars is one of the best series, if not the best series of films in the industry today. On the gaming scale Star Wars has done it's self no favours and it doesn't come close to average.

So do games from movies generally turn out boring and dull and vice versa. It is hard to say the future of gaming is unpredictable but with some new consoles out such as the Gamecube and X-box film junkeys may find a way to play and interact with their favourite movies. Films and games are both entirely different for each to be made unique but it can be done
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:17
Regular
Yeah it does. Buffy the vampire slayer is supposed to be good for the x-box but thats not a film heh :0)
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:14
Regular
Good games - horrific movies.
Good movies - horrific games.

It usually works both ways.
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:07
Regular
Ohhh hello do you think that movies which are turned into games are quite bad
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:32
Err, I am, umm, here.
Wed 04/09/02 at 17:20
Regular
Yoooooooooooooooooooooooo anyonw here heh
Wed 04/09/02 at 13:57
Regular
The question to one of the unknown questions. Do movie's make an impact on the gaming world and of course vice versa. The answer is simply yes and no. Most game's that are based around a film actually do not follow the original plot line of the film or the games have had extras put it that the film was missing. First up Street Fighter. When the game was realeased it made a huge impact on the older generation consoles such as the megadrive and snes. The movie however lacked certain quality and depth and there were a few famaliar faces not making an appearance in the movie. The actual film was rather corny and didnt seem like streetfigher. M.Bison was the only character you would reccanise. Some characters such as Ken who was japansese in the film where as he was corcasian and had blonde hair in the game.

One of the biggest games in history was about to be released as a world wide movie. Tomb raider leaped onto the big screen and well did it dissapoint. Tomb Raider being one of the biggest games of all time was surely going to be big. However everyones expectations really made the viewers believe it was going to be the experience of a lifetime. All the hype surrounding the film and the gossip and ratings ensured its popularity in the premier of the film. Tomb raider was actually quite a fun film. It had the action the humour and some actions that hardcore gamers may have seen in the game. Once again the film doesn't follow the direct plot of the game. Making a Tomb Raider film and following the exact same plot is rather difficult if not amazingly hard. There are several games out for the Playstation one. The movie blended together a few of the titles to come up with the plot. The adventure's of Lara Croft took her on a journey to find an ancient relic. Now many of the Tomb Raiders are all about finding relics or generally most of them are. The only major let down of the film was maybe it was very corny much like Street Fighter was. It doesn't follow the trend of the convertion from games to movies. Tomb raider is fun and a nice experience but it's not a film that sets it's self apart from other movies.

One of my favourite series of games was converted to a movie and that was "Final Fantasy: The Spirit's Within". The film however unleashed some dissapointment within. Much to my horror i was all geared up for an amazing and quality but i wasnt to be given that oppertunity. The Spirits Within was more of an action film than it was a fantasy film. If you sat a gamer down in front of a Television and let him watch Spirits Within and you asked him what genre it would fall into? The most likely answer would be FPS or action/adventure. The plot follows a young docter who is studing the spirits which are a constant threat to mankind, now I'm sure i have heard that before. The only people to stop the Spirits are an army of troppers that become friends witht he young docter. The troopers all dressed in black look like a low budget Halo game. The animation is quite clever and it does cover some aspect of the fantasy world and mythical beings. I have talked with some Final Fantasy fans who have actually verbally attacked the developers and directors because they thought is was a mediorcre effort to make more money from the fans of the series. Did the film really need to be an animation style of film. It may have been better if it followed a more traditional style of film. The most you can hope for when watching the spirits within is a film you can just watch a few times. Thats the bad points of the movies. The producers seem to always lack in the way of a good budget which is quite strange. Surely if your making a game with mythical spirits and lots of action, then you must need a suitable buged of the film will land flat on its face.

The Webslinging Spiderman brought a new shining gem to the movie industry. The film was intresting, unique and was packed with some humour and action. The effects were well pulled off and i was amazed by the amount of effort put into the costume designs and visuals. Firstly how cool is it when he swings from building to building and then crash's into a billboard. It never brings a dull moment and it really does come along nicely as it unfolds. The game was released after the movie which was expected of course. The game actually followed the plot of the movie wooohooo. The game had the exact same events and scenearios as the film. If your famaliar with both movie and game then you will notice the simalarities. Firstly the murder of Ben, Peter Parkers uncle. This event was also included in the film and in the game it was played with some very tasty cut scenes. We also catch a glimpse of the villain, the Green Goblin who is equipped with his trusty green suit and hovercraft. The gamer conatained some elements that the film didnt cover like Scorpion and Vulture which added more depth to the game. This film is a great example of how the duo of film and game should come together.

Now this is simply horrific. What were these guys thinking, The Mummy Returns. More appropriatly "The bad game returns". The film i enjoyed, the game i cursed. It follows some of the original plot of the game but the games graphics are a severe let down and it doesn't use the potential of the Playstation2. It's predaccessor "The Mummy" was just as bad. The game is so out of it depth it's quite shocking. Games such as these taint the image of gaming today. In my opinion which msot won't agree is that you have to work and push to your full potential. Some of the graphics look like PsOne failures to be brutally honest. The main aim if your a gaming company is to make a game that we all remember. However the company have come accross as a fan project. This is a dilema, good movie and bad game which is a pattern for most of these combinations. The fact alone is quite mind boggling that you have to shell out for this game. The movie is worth your time but when it comes to the game please turn a blind eye.

Now one of the most anticapated film of all time, Star wars episode 2: Attack of the clones. If your more of a console addict you will notice that there hasnt been a single star wars title to thrill you. PC gamers however will beg to differ in the case they have about the same amount of games out which are of better quality. I have been to the cinema twice to see the film frankly becuase it is that damn good. I found some star wars titles lightly entertaining such as jedi power battles but that got tedious and repetative. I actually preffered the Game boy advance titles pureply becuase they were smooth and offered a far more enjoyable gaming experience. On the whole the whol Star Wars saga is far from over. I honestly could not suggest a worthwhile title on any console but if your life unwinds on the PC then i could name a dozen titles that are simply short of amazing. Star Wars is one of the best series, if not the best series of films in the industry today. On the gaming scale Star Wars has done it's self no favours and it doesn't come close to average.

So do games from movies generally turn out boring and dull and vice versa. It is hard to say the future of gaming is unpredictable but with some new consoles out such as the Gamecube and X-box film junkeys may find a way to play and interact with their favourite movies. Films and games are both entirely different for each to be made unique but it can be done

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.