GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"New Gameworlds"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/09/02 at 13:42
Regular
THE fictional and factual places in which videogames have been set cover a wide range of diverse locations, and apart from ridiculous stuff like setting a game within a ping-pong ball or upon a falling snowflake, it's quite tricky to think of new and interesting gameworld scenarios which haven't already been done.

But I 've had a go, and this is what I've come up with.

INSIDE THE HUMAN BODY

I remember watching an old film in which a group of scientists boarded a hover-type craft and were genetically shrunken to the size of a pin-head.
In this craft they then entered the blood vessels of a human body in attempt to save the person's life. I think it was called "Incredible Journey" or something like that.
On their inner-biological adventure they had to fight against all kinds of natural viruses, aggressive blood cells and other internal nasties.

I think a game set inside the human body would be a great place for a Rez-like shooter with lots of grotesque enemies and familiar yet surreal locations.
Imagine, for example, exploring the person's brain and being flooded with all kinds of crazy and disturbing images.
Obviously red, blood-red, would be the overwhelming colour of the gameworld, which would give the general look and style of the game a dream-like quality.

The purpose of the game could be to destroy all the cancerous cells multiplying and spreading within the person's body in which the game takes place, in a similar way to how Rez had to destroy computer viruses in cyberspace.

ENTERING FAMOUS PAINTINGS

Each level of the game would be an accurate 3D representation of a famous painting.

The works of art used could range from the classical landscape paintings of Impressionism, to the vibrant Expressionist works of Monet and Van Gogh [for example], to the dreamy and surreal pictures of say, Picasso and Salvatore Dali.

If each level was based on a different famous painting, and if the paintings themselves were faithfully recreated and "brought to life", I think the overall game would have a brilliantly stylized feel about it, and perhaps would even become a work of art itself?

I'm not sure what the gameplay would consist of, [it would probably be some kind of exploration thingy], but gameworlds based on famous paintings would certainly be beautiful places to explore and stage a game in.

Well, that's all I can think of. It's much harder than it first seems to think of new virtual playgrounds which haven't featured in games before.
There have been no replies to this thread yet.
Wed 04/09/02 at 13:42
Regular
THE fictional and factual places in which videogames have been set cover a wide range of diverse locations, and apart from ridiculous stuff like setting a game within a ping-pong ball or upon a falling snowflake, it's quite tricky to think of new and interesting gameworld scenarios which haven't already been done.

But I 've had a go, and this is what I've come up with.

INSIDE THE HUMAN BODY

I remember watching an old film in which a group of scientists boarded a hover-type craft and were genetically shrunken to the size of a pin-head.
In this craft they then entered the blood vessels of a human body in attempt to save the person's life. I think it was called "Incredible Journey" or something like that.
On their inner-biological adventure they had to fight against all kinds of natural viruses, aggressive blood cells and other internal nasties.

I think a game set inside the human body would be a great place for a Rez-like shooter with lots of grotesque enemies and familiar yet surreal locations.
Imagine, for example, exploring the person's brain and being flooded with all kinds of crazy and disturbing images.
Obviously red, blood-red, would be the overwhelming colour of the gameworld, which would give the general look and style of the game a dream-like quality.

The purpose of the game could be to destroy all the cancerous cells multiplying and spreading within the person's body in which the game takes place, in a similar way to how Rez had to destroy computer viruses in cyberspace.

ENTERING FAMOUS PAINTINGS

Each level of the game would be an accurate 3D representation of a famous painting.

The works of art used could range from the classical landscape paintings of Impressionism, to the vibrant Expressionist works of Monet and Van Gogh [for example], to the dreamy and surreal pictures of say, Picasso and Salvatore Dali.

If each level was based on a different famous painting, and if the paintings themselves were faithfully recreated and "brought to life", I think the overall game would have a brilliantly stylized feel about it, and perhaps would even become a work of art itself?

I'm not sure what the gameplay would consist of, [it would probably be some kind of exploration thingy], but gameworlds based on famous paintings would certainly be beautiful places to explore and stage a game in.

Well, that's all I can think of. It's much harder than it first seems to think of new virtual playgrounds which haven't featured in games before.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.