GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Mario Sunshine , (not all praise)"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 04/09/02 at 08:58
Regular
I know lots of you are going to critisize me for writing this , because we get too many of them in this forum , but i dont care and im going to continue ... ahem :

I recieved mario sunshine yesterday morning , a sealed canadian copy of the game. I imediatley stopped what i was doing (about to come on here) , wripped it open , and looked inside , while running up to my room. I got out the light blue and black disc with Super Mario Sunshine on and put it into my gamecube. I turned on my stereo so that all my speakers would blast out the sound ... ahh , i turn my gamecube on. The logo comes up and unravels , that finishes, theres a slight pause and this big red nintendo sign pops up with the sound of mario collecting a coin. Then your treated to a cell shaded into sequence , pretty nice , full speech and their voices are funny :) So i watch that for a couple of minutes , then it goes to the start up screen , and a big SMS sign appears (not abbreviated of course) i was a bit dissapointed at this screen. The clouds in the background looked very flat and nothing like the ones in Smash Bros Melee , and there was something to manipulate like in mario 64 , where you could pull mario's face around and mess him up , which i really liked.

Anyway , i pressed start like it told me too and created a new file , just like you do on the gameboy versions (you have to jump up and whack the file that you want) or you can run across the screen and go to the options part. I decide to go to the options screen here are the options :

Rumble on/off (i used my wavebird so i cant make use of this)
Mono/stereo/surround (i put surround)
Subtitles on/off (very good for those with hard of hearing , well done nintendo )

So i make my new file and get going with the game. You are now treated with another sell shaed cut scene which continues from the introduction , your plane goes down to land on Isle Delfino , oh no !! Theres a big load of goo on the run way , what will you do ??!! Land right next to it thats what. How the hell a plane can land on a few metres of runway is beyond me , but anyway , you get out of the plane and graphics switch from cell shaded to full 3d which is nice. Then peach tells mario to save the day , so he goes up to the end of the runway , picks up Fludd (the water gun) and has to clean up the mess , which while you spray, it morphs into a parana plant made up of muck , then you spray water in its mouth 3 times and it dies and all the mess goes away ... YAY !!

Im going to stop telling you the story now because i dont think you need to know anymore about that.

This game is ace ! It's fun , doesn't get boring , just frustrating- Like when you try to get up to a really high place which takes ages , then some little blighter, comes up and knocks you off ! Then unless you save yourself by some amazing miracle of button whacks (and you will be whacking the buttons) then you have to start all over again !

Another thing that i've noticed is the amount of slowdown that plagues the game. For example , you've got your hover attatchment on Fludd , and you start to hover , if theres more than one character on the screen then the whole lot seems to slow down , as much as even some games on the playstation. Another example is on the beach level , with the big mirrors , i was messing around trying to beat those big walking things (ive worked it out now) and was playing with the hover pack , the slow down was horrendous ! Horrendous i say ! You'd think that with all the power of the gamecube that it wouldn't slow down , but it does , and it's more slowdown than ive seen for ages ! I might even go as far as saying that it's like playing a four player game of goldeneye or perfect dark , it doesn't jump or skip frames like they did , it stays smooth , but just slows down too much for compfort. Ok RANT OVER ! or maybe theres time for one more :

I know this has been said before , but some of the textures do nothing for the game , at one point i tried to jump up onto a platform that looked all 3d and walkable on , but it was flat ! And some of them look like they've been drawn in by a five year old. Like the walls by the lighthouse , they look crap! Also , while im talking about walls , theres invisible walls all around the island, the games ment to open and free , meaning i can go where the hell i like , but while i was trying to swim to an island that didn;t look like part of a different world i swam straight into a wall. I understand that the levels have to separated but they could have let us swim out a bit further or have bits to swim out to (this didn;t really come out how i wanted it to , so if you get a bit confused then dont worry , i am too).
Ok RANT REALLY IS OVER !

What ever bad things ive said about above , just forget , they are little minor niggles about an absolutely superb game, a game that will keep you from seeing the light of day for days , months , maybe even ... 32 days ! A game that will stop you eating , you wont go to the toilet , brush your teeth , sleep , drink or talk (i have experienced all of this yesterday). You will walk out of your room a changed person , no not mentally , but you WILL look terrible (bags under eyes) you will be humming the tunes , the tuned up version of the mario theme tune (ba ba ba , ba ba ba ba ba . ba da ba da ba da ba da da ba do do do do do do do do excetera excet excetera a.) Your life will change as we know it.

Buy this game now , you may be dissapointed if you dont like mario , or buy it then you come home and realise you dont have a gamecube , and use the disc as a pretty coaster ,but most people will be delighted with it , unless of course they are blind , but then they can listen to the wonderfull plinky plonky tunes that make even s club 7 look bad (ahem).

Come october 4th , you will all experience what i have , maybe you will get a bigger manual and different inlay sheets , but does it really matter , it's the same game for crying out loud , shut up , leave me ALONE ! ahhhhh arrrrrrrrr *goes of crying* (whispers "buy this game")
Fri 06/09/02 at 22:38
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> Ah poor little slow GC can't handle a simple mario game LOL

If you weren't so blinded by your stupidity, you'd see the GameCube was faster than the X-Box.
Thu 05/09/02 at 17:40
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
i was just reading what i wrote about it slowing down as much as games on the playstation , but i think i was over exagerating a bit there. After playing the bit with the mirrors again , i can honestly say that that was an exageration, the bit about the 4 player on perfect dark and that , i still stand by, but not the playstation bit , i was just so suprised by it that i came on here and wrote about it without having a second look. Sorry if i made you have really bad thoughts on the slowdown , there isn't as much as i first thought , but it is there in places , mainly when you use the hover pack with fludd, but thats about it.
MAYBE ... it's ment to slow down , so it makes it look like your hovering , or maybe it was because i wasn't moving the control stick fast enough , but havent seen it in any other parts of the game , so it must be slowdown.
Thu 05/09/02 at 17:33
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
ive never had slowdown on any other of my gamecube games , all being played on the same tv with the same set up , maybe a little bit on star wars rouge leader , but other than that none as yet. The only time it ever slowed down was when i use the hover pack on the fludd , and was with those bigs mirrors on the beach levels with the big walking things , and it seemed to slow down , and mario was moving very slowly and so were the big walking things. It's the only time ive seen it so far , and i'll tell you if i see anymore.
i'll try plugging it in to the new TV downstairs to see if it makes a difference , but i dont think it will.
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:19
Regular
"PC Gaming Founder"
Thanks for sharing your views with us Rob, you jammy sod! ;)

I'm a little concerned about the slowdown you mention. Maybe because it hasn't really been mentioned anywhere else, it's due to your GC/TV set-up or something?
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:12
Regular
"Unretired"
hmm?

The NGC said nothing about slowdowns, there ONLY bad point about sunshine was that the camera angles could get annoying.
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:29
Regular
"waiting 4 Matrix 3"
This game will be great.
Wed 04/09/02 at 17:53
Regular
It should be popping through the door any day now *yay*
Wed 04/09/02 at 17:08
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
niether can i , hey wait a mintute.... doh !
Wed 04/09/02 at 17:05
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
Sweet, I can't wait!
Wed 04/09/02 at 16:49
Regular
"what is knowledge ?"
just like the poor old little ps2 and xbox , boo hoo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.