GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"LinuX-box ???"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 17:31
Regular
Wow some geniuses have finally got Linux working on the Xbox, head on over to check it out at:

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/

This is a major achievement, we all knew that the Xbox was the most powerful console around. Its certainally got the coolest features such as the broadband modem as standard and the ability to store your own music on the Xbox hard drive... Not to mention the great games such as Halo. But using the Xbox to run linux will open up a whole world of possibilities..

emulators, web browsing, cheaper online xbox gaming, PC emulation and the possibility to play PC games. This combined with the recent price cut of the Xbox in the UK means this is definately the machine to have.

What possibilities do you see this having for the future of the Xbox, and the games industry in general...one thing is certain it certainally makes Sonys PS2 linux kit look expensive!

Discuss

Jimmy
Mon 09/09/02 at 15:03
Regular
"RIP Resurrection"
DSt_UK wrote:
> Free broadband modem...? I know it has a built in Ethernet Card, but I
> don't know about a modem. Sorry to correct if I'm right, I hope
> someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> DSt

ypu'll need a seperate router at least or a router with built in hub as the ethernet adapter is actualy a LAN card.

good though if you wanna do link up as ethernet cable is cheap unlike most console game leads.
Mon 09/09/02 at 13:55
Free broadband modem...? I know it has a built in Ethernet Card, but I don't know about a modem. Sorry to correct if I'm right, I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

DSt
Wed 04/09/02 at 01:34
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
USA JImmy wrote:
> It will also help people to program for the Xbox, again a very good
> thing in gaming terms.

ah the old skool bed room game maker :) bring back memories of the amiga.

do that on your gay cube hehe
Wed 04/09/02 at 00:03
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Sorry Ranger Guy, I didnt mean to spam. I just wasnt sure where I should post this post, I think it could have a big impact on Xbox sales... worldwide I mean were pretty well off in the UK, but still a 160 pound PC is pretty cool... but just imagine how this will help Xbox sales in Asia and Africa. X box sales can only go up, and more Xboxs sold = More great games being made.

Who knows it may make Microsoft release a very cut down Windows OS for the Xbox!!!

It will also help people to program for the Xbox, again a very good thing in gaming terms.
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:56
Regular
"ProGolfer"
Dont post the same thing twice as you already posted it in fogchat, it could be classified as spamming. DONT.
Tue 03/09/02 at 18:18
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
This could be very well be a good thing, you'll have something almost as good as a PC at £160 or so of your quid, now even a begger bargin.
Tue 03/09/02 at 17:31
Regular
"OLD Newbie"
Wow some geniuses have finally got Linux working on the Xbox, head on over to check it out at:

http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/

This is a major achievement, we all knew that the Xbox was the most powerful console around. Its certainally got the coolest features such as the broadband modem as standard and the ability to store your own music on the Xbox hard drive... Not to mention the great games such as Halo. But using the Xbox to run linux will open up a whole world of possibilities..

emulators, web browsing, cheaper online xbox gaming, PC emulation and the possibility to play PC games. This combined with the recent price cut of the Xbox in the UK means this is definately the machine to have.

What possibilities do you see this having for the future of the Xbox, and the games industry in general...one thing is certain it certainally makes Sonys PS2 linux kit look expensive!

Discuss

Jimmy

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.