GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Triple A...? kinda...."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 12:09
Regular
I have about 8 games for for me cube and im glad to say they have all, but 1, been great games.
i got a US cube so im sorry if this spoils it for anyone but eternal darkness is crap ! in fact its uber crap!.
I got res evil it rocks i got SSBM and it also rocks these i think are triple a the rest i have wave race etc id give 2 a's to but eternal darkness is real pants :9 they promised so much and completely failed to deliver ... teh plot is cool about demons and books of living flesh etc all very promising to start with some nice cut scenes etc and indeed for the first hour you think this is good. But then you start to realise after teh fifth hour that you havent done anythign new!

All you do is run around solving "puzzles" and by puzzles i mean real poor pitifull exscuses for em kinda go from one side of the map to get item a back to other side to put in place a to get item b and then back over teh other side of teh map to put item b in place b and so on ... the puzzles are a bad exscuse to make your charachter round around basically.
Then you have the "action" ( i like teh speech marks makes it real sarcastic!) this is where teh game lets you down again cos all it is is either shoot or slash and the problem with this is theres only one way of doing it i.e if you have a sword you cant do combos and special moves with it you do the same thing over and over again.

The real problem is that like most games it trys to do it all and fails... it trys to be a puzzle game and trys to be a dungeon hack and slash affair and it also has some magic bits thrown in to it ( that it actually does do fairly well ) and it gets lost in this indecision on what it is. The puzzles lack variety and the fighting lacks variety and these are the whole focus of the game basically ... if the fighting had more umph to it like different combos and stuff thatd fix it easily and the puzzles .. well i think games shouldnt worry about adding puzzles of any sort unless they are actual puzzles i.e the sort youd get in 7th guest or 11th hour (not the word ones though like cuckoo red rum or whatever they used to be they were way too hard). i.e theres a puzzle in res evil which involves moving statues around that i enjoyed solving cos it was quite hard but puzzles shouldnt consist of running around placing items and having to run all the way back to whereever you just came from ( i know tehres a little of this in res evil but my god the game looks amazing excellent plot and zombie killing ... ill forgive it and thats the whole point is your trying to get out of the damn place ED is just moving for movings sake).
I dont like the fact that reviewers etc have supposed to have played this and called it a triple A title ... id give it an a or maybe a B i consider to be down there with all teh other gap filler games that come out although albeit slightly higher!

Thanks for reading my ra... review :)
Wed 04/09/02 at 19:02
it was half a review and half a rant about how the games pants make of it what you will i dont really care what you think i just wanted to say that i thought the game was poor and ninty should be ashamed... that and res evil rox and if any of you dont buy it ill leave what little respect i have for any one who posts on here in a big scary creepy mansion
Wed 04/09/02 at 03:22
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
so why did you post a review here? and really who cares?
Tue 03/09/02 at 12:09
I have about 8 games for for me cube and im glad to say they have all, but 1, been great games.
i got a US cube so im sorry if this spoils it for anyone but eternal darkness is crap ! in fact its uber crap!.
I got res evil it rocks i got SSBM and it also rocks these i think are triple a the rest i have wave race etc id give 2 a's to but eternal darkness is real pants :9 they promised so much and completely failed to deliver ... teh plot is cool about demons and books of living flesh etc all very promising to start with some nice cut scenes etc and indeed for the first hour you think this is good. But then you start to realise after teh fifth hour that you havent done anythign new!

All you do is run around solving "puzzles" and by puzzles i mean real poor pitifull exscuses for em kinda go from one side of the map to get item a back to other side to put in place a to get item b and then back over teh other side of teh map to put item b in place b and so on ... the puzzles are a bad exscuse to make your charachter round around basically.
Then you have the "action" ( i like teh speech marks makes it real sarcastic!) this is where teh game lets you down again cos all it is is either shoot or slash and the problem with this is theres only one way of doing it i.e if you have a sword you cant do combos and special moves with it you do the same thing over and over again.

The real problem is that like most games it trys to do it all and fails... it trys to be a puzzle game and trys to be a dungeon hack and slash affair and it also has some magic bits thrown in to it ( that it actually does do fairly well ) and it gets lost in this indecision on what it is. The puzzles lack variety and the fighting lacks variety and these are the whole focus of the game basically ... if the fighting had more umph to it like different combos and stuff thatd fix it easily and the puzzles .. well i think games shouldnt worry about adding puzzles of any sort unless they are actual puzzles i.e the sort youd get in 7th guest or 11th hour (not the word ones though like cuckoo red rum or whatever they used to be they were way too hard). i.e theres a puzzle in res evil which involves moving statues around that i enjoyed solving cos it was quite hard but puzzles shouldnt consist of running around placing items and having to run all the way back to whereever you just came from ( i know tehres a little of this in res evil but my god the game looks amazing excellent plot and zombie killing ... ill forgive it and thats the whole point is your trying to get out of the damn place ED is just moving for movings sake).
I dont like the fact that reviewers etc have supposed to have played this and called it a triple A title ... id give it an a or maybe a B i consider to be down there with all teh other gap filler games that come out although albeit slightly higher!

Thanks for reading my ra... review :)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.