GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Microsoft Buy Rare"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 03/09/02 at 09:55
Regular
Don't get to disturbed by the title because, thankfully it's only a rumour, but if it turns out to be true, well it's pretty bad news *cries*
http://www.cube-europe.com/newsphp/news.php?id=2616
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:16
Regular
Oh no, people like newbies, it's just if you've got a red name, you've automatically got a bad reputation on these forums. Shame, really.
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:12
Regular
People didnt like me?

Stop kidding man.

I know your joking.

Maverick you sure no one likes me.

You kidder you.

No really didnt they like me.
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:08
Regular
Lol, for some reason you always gain a bad name as a newbie. That's why I changed my name as soon as I became a regular. People are probably treating you that way because of you undeserved newbie reputation, but it won't happen so much now that you've changed your name.

Recently, there's been a lot of console wars and it's been getting me a bit worked up. I've been forgetting to flower up my responses so no-one gets offended, and just giving my opinion - hard and cold. Usually when I'm not in the middle of a verbal battle with someone like ~Resurrection~ I'm a bit more tactful.
Sat 07/09/02 at 17:04
Regular
Yeah i get you, and i suppose i wrote it wrong.
What i meant was that you didnt used to be so... straight.
You used to say your opnion and then cover up so noone could say you were unfair to Xbox and ps2.

I wish i was a bit more like it but when i do something someone always goes...fanboy.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:58
Regular
A biased person would slate the X-Box at every possible oppurtunity, which I do not do. I accept that other people's opinions differ from mine - it's life. I'll still praise the X-Box and knock the GameCube, but when the time comes, I won't be afraid to tell someone that GameCube's my favourite console and why.

You get my meaning? I hope so.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:54
Regular
Boz wrote:
> Maverick, you have changed.
>
> The thing is your saying what you believe and im sure most people also
> believe, me included.
> But you used to come over as unbiased but now you sound biased to
> nintendo.

It's not that I'm biased, this is just my opinion, and over the past few weeks I've realised I'm entitled to say that. In my honest opinion, I think the best two consoles to own are the PS2 and GameCube as there's very few titles on X-Box that aren't on both of them. I'm happy with my PS2 and GameCube and I don't like enough games on the X-Box to make me purchase one. That's why the GameCube's the best choice.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:51
Regular
Taken from ComputerAndVideoGames.com:

----------

MICROSOFT RARE "RUMOUR" SOLIDIFIES

We don't know about you lot, but we just love the smell of gossip in the morning: head in for the latest round of scuttlebutt

14:41 Glorious. Just as you think things are getting dull, the entire British games industry suddenly reckons that Microsoft is on the verge of buying British super-developer Rare, the company behind such classics as Banjo-Kazooie and GoldenEye. If you listen carefully, you can actually hear us stiffening. Perfect Dark on Xbox? Read on for fun.
As we reported earlier this week, rumours of Microsoft in talks with the company is nothing new. What is fresh is that first- and third-party sources alike are now claiming a deal is close to completion.

"From what we know the talk of the deal actually being signed isn't true, but first-party sources have told us that both parties are currently in the process of finalising," said a senior publishing source this morning.

"From people we know within Rare, we know that various different companies have turned up and had a good look at the place, the most serious one being Microsoft," added a senior third-party source close to the Twycross-based developer. "We have no idea whether or not this is going ahead, but on a personal level it wouldn't surprise me in the least."

"I've been told it's MS, and I've been told there's a very good chance this is going to happen," added another high-level British developer.

Current talk is that the Stamper brothers, the guys behind the entire Rare saga, simply want to take the money and run. They currently own a controlling 51% of the company.

"They always said they were in it for the long term, but that's what you would say," said the first source, a major British gaming figure. "It's your company: you'd never, ever admit to wanting to leave it.

"On the one hand they've made an enormous amount of money over the past few years. They don't need any more money. On the other hand you'd be stupid to build a company up to that sort of size, as they have done, and then not try and collect the money on it. If you've got a company that's got a successful record, then there's obviously an optimum time for selling.

"I personally think Rare's past that, but there's still an awful lot of value in the Rare name. I'm sure Microsoft can be very persuasive."

Rumour of the deal being confirmed at X02 has been snubbed this morning, but there's no smoke without fire. Well, there is sometimes, but then who cares? We're taking bets now: who'll have a punt on Microsoft buying Rare at evens? Roll up...

----------

See? Nothing to worry about. Just rumours.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:29
Regular
I mention them 3 as i was going to vote for one of them in the next election, not so sure now.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:29
Regular
Maverick, you have changed.

The thing is your saying what you believe and im sure most people also believe, me included.
But you used to come over as unbiased but now you sound biased to nintendo.

Then theres the bigman, i never see him on here any more.

Then GSmaster, hes all gone anti nintendo and xbox or ps2 (one of them) not that i care he isnt ninty its just the way hes gone all babyish about it.
Sat 07/09/02 at 16:21
Regular
Gridloch wrote:
> purhapes there are other reasons he wants to buy an Xbox (like Halo
> for example). I myself own a PS2 and i'm considering buying another
> console, my first choice is Gamecube however if Rare do make games
> exclusivly for Microsoft then i may revise my choice and buy an Xbox.

Firstly, a GameCube is the right way to go. That way, you'll get the innovation of Nintendo and the most powerful console for £130.00, and secondly, Rare will go multi-format if anything. Developing exclusively for X-Box would be a poor business decision and not what they've been looking to do.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.