GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer games are a Health hazard."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/09/02 at 11:55
Regular
I have been playing computer games for 80% of my life, and have played in spells of 6-8 hours straight with no effects on my health whatsoever. Computer games are meant to be fun, but a hobby quickly turns into an annoyance when limits are introduced. How are we supposed to enjoy playing games with warnings on every single one?
Computer game manuals now carry warnings, such as, "Take a break for 15 minutes every hour". How are we supposed to enjoy playing computer games when we are 'advised' to take a break every hour? These are apparently the effects from playing computer games for long periods of time:

Some people (1 in 4000) suffer from photosensitive epilepsy (P.E)- which basically means that these people will suffer from an epileptic fit from looking at flashing lights. How does this effect computer games then? Well, it's all to do with televisions. They work by sending lines that flicker downwards on the screen. This means that people that suffer from P.E can also have fits from watching TV, but you don't see warnings on watching television though…do you?

Another thing that adds to epileptic fits is tiredness. It clearly states in the manual that to avoid epileptic fits, you should not play when you are tired. If this is the case, why don't people who argue about epilepsy mention this fact when they are trying to campaign against epilepsy? The manual also clearly states that you should play in a well-lit room. Again, they don't mention this. Why? Well, they want to put limits on computer games, so why would they want to mention about things that actually go against these complaints.

A report made in February earlier this year stated that doctors are calling for warnings on vibrating controllers after a boy suffered an injury. An injury from a console controller; that's pretty strange. It also had never happened before. So what actually caused this injury then? A 15-year-old boy played on his games console for more than 7 hours a day straight. 7 hours a day, seven days a week. A long time, but then again, it already stated in the manual to take breaks from computer games, so what do the doctors have to back up their case then? Well, in the report it does actually mention about the guideline (i.e. Well-lit room, tiredness etc) so they can't complain about that. What they did say though is that there should be a sticker on the controller. It's says about playing guidelines in the manual! Why do they need a sticker on the controller then? DR. Bernard Goenveld says, "Most people always read the manual, and the health warnings, but they don't think about it. If we put a sticker on the controller, maybe they would read it." What he didn't mention is the fact that people may peel it off (I certainly would) or they may not even notice it. They also stated that, "playing 7 hours a day is excessive and exceeds the console maker's recommendation." Sound familiar? Yep, that's what it says in the manual. So not only have they made a pathetic attempt to put a sticker on a controller, they also have attacked their own argument, which to gamers is quite amusing.

Another health report made in 1995 tried to show how playing computer games can be bad for your health. Graham Harding, a scientist familiar on the subject and the reporter Norman Swan had this report:

Norman: "How common is P.E?"

Graham: "It's very rare in the population, and is more common in Girls than boys."

Now, given hardly any girls play computer games, it raises the chances of having an epileptic fit from 1 in 4000 to 1 in 6000.

Norman: "Are some children only affected by certain games?"
Graham: "Oh yes. Some Children are only affected by some games, and some are only affected by parts of a game. Take one child, he played a ghost busters game. He was only affected by P.E when he looked at the map on the screen because it had a special frequency. He found that by sitting away from the screen, he wasn't affected."

Norman: "But doesn't the manual say that you should sit away from the screen?"

Graham: "Yes, it does. If the child had sat away from the screen, he wouldn't have had the problem."

Norman: "So, what you are saying is that the manual clearly states that you shouldn't sit near the screen, but the child did? If that's the case, then it was the child's fault entirely,"

Graham: "Yes, it was."

Norman: "It was? That means doctors are fighting a losing battle then against health and safety warnings on games."

Graham: "Yes, indeed they are. The manual clearly states all the warnings on games and controllers."

Norman: "So why do people still suffer from epileptic fits then?"

Graham: "They ignore the warnings. It's their life, they treat it as they like"

So, as you see, Doctors have no way of campaigning and protesting against health warnings, as they are already in the manual. Those that are affected by P.E know the consequences of not reading the manual, and it's their fault. Doctors have no evidence that computer games can cause epileptic fits to all players, so playing computer games for long periods of time do not effect us in any way, unless you have epilepsy or are stupid and don't read the warnings.
Sun 29/09/02 at 10:04
Regular
"Comfortably Numb"
I think that deserves a GAD. well done.
Sat 28/09/02 at 13:09
i jus thought id bring this class post bak 2 the top of da list :D
Fri 13/09/02 at 21:19
Regular
"[SE] Shadow Elite"
Great post mate, it does really make you think. I for one haven't read the warnings for ages. I couldn't tell you what they say now, they may have changed everything they say. Plus, i was reading the other day in the Official Nintendo Magazine that scientists say that playing computer games is bad for you, and at a young age children should try and play out more. It seems that producers and developers have not read this (if it's true) when they release games such as Harry Potter, which are aimed at the younger generation.
Thu 05/09/02 at 07:54
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Yeah, it's scary when you actually find out all these hazards for the first time, and then you think, "Hey, i'm a prime candidate for that!"

That's when the worry starts.

:)
Thu 05/09/02 at 07:47
Regular
"Jog on, sunshine"
Thanks for all the replies. :)

Yeah, it's scary when you actually find out all these hazards for the first time, and then you think, "Hey, i'm a prime candidate for that!"

That's when the worry starts.

:)
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:26
I mean, P.E
Wed 04/09/02 at 18:25
I know games like Wipeout, Dancing Stage Euro Mix (probably) effect the epiliptics.

I play the PS2 3 hours a day and it hasn't bothered me at all, even including my PS1.

I'm not sure how you spell E.P. anyway, I can't be bothered to check it.
Wed 04/09/02 at 16:00
Regular
I read that it rots your brain, the fact i was doing rubbish at school in year 6 (and was told i wouldnt pass any exams) and then i started to play games for real, like spending lots of time on it every day, and then pass all my exams quite well must mean it has a reverse effect on me.
But to stop teachers shouting ill say this "computer gaming will not make you brainy, the only way to do this is to study, and study hard"

Also i havent had any problem with anything until 2 days ago.
I played AUF nearly all day and my left eye now has this nervous twich, must be the 128bit graphics of games.

*vows to never play a computer game again*

right im off to find that trophie in SSBM.
Wed 04/09/02 at 10:46
Regular
The warnings are only there so the companies can't get sued.

You know what consumers are like nowdays...
Wed 04/09/02 at 09:48
Regular
"TheShiznit.co.uk"
*puts geek hat on*

When I had Final Fantasy 7 I used to be really into it, trying to get all the weapons, spells etc. Anyway, one night I started playing it, and there's a bit in the big Amusement Park where you have to win 7 fights in a row or something, to win this Ultimate Weapon. Once I started it, I couldn't save it, and I stayed up until 4 in the morning, trying to beat this fricking game.

True story.

*takes geek at off*

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.