GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Here it comes..."

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 02/09/02 at 02:34
Regular
Lets be brutally honest now fellow Nintendo fans, the Gamecube isn’t as good as the N64… yet. Some claim it shouldn’t be, it takes a while for developers to get used to the console but nevertheless the Gamecube is a far cry away from the almighty N64. The N64 was littered with problems, but what made it so good were the two genres, which it mastered. The Adventure game and the First Person Shooter, and these two happen to be the biggest and most popular type. Yet so far Luigi’s Mansion is our answer to Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Conker and Agent Under Fire is all we have to compare to Perfect Dark, Goldeneye and Turok. So what exactly has the Gamecube been doing these last few months? Well what the Gamecube (like the N64 did) has established is its originality, Pikmin, Luigi’s Mansion, Lost Kingdoms and Super Monkey Ball have all assisted in their own way. Also like the N64 before it, the Gamecube has established its firm grip on the multi-player market with Super Monkey Ball and Super Smash Brothers: Melee being firm favourites. But the Gamecube needs a massive Adventure and First Person Shooter so it can stand along side the N64 as another triumph from Nintendo whether it sells or not. And as if by magic my prayers have been answered.

September is the start of four incredible months where, not only will Nintendo continue releasing great multiplayer and original titles, but release some of the best first person shooters and Adventure games we have ever seen. Now I don’t know about you guys but there is too many First Person Shooters coming out over the next few months. It is shocking to think that Friday’s release of old Nintendo favourite, Turok Evolution, is one of the least promising of the lot. I’m a massive fan of Turok; I have the original four and loved them all (The second was in fact just ok) but in comparison to the competition I really can’t get that excited about it. Timesplitters 2 is in my mind the most promising of them all, made by Goldeneye veterans this game has been called “The greatest FPS EVER” and “better than Goldeneye”. Medal of Honour: Frontline also scheduled for release over the coming months has been given such rave reviews from my Playstation owning friends I doubt I have no choice but to get it. Then there is Die Hard: Vendetta, at last a Nintendo exclusive that features so much promise including talking to people for clues and taking hostages. The amount of hype a realistic game like Die Hard has received has even overshadowed the Gamecube’s second Bond Game, Nightfire. The title still uses the need for speed team for the awesome racing sections but unlike Agent Under Fire this game is made by Eurocom. They are a brilliant British developer who made The World Is Not Enough and are held with great respect within the industry, it will be good. Do you remember that first person shooting PC game everyone went mad over called Jedi Knight 2? Well guess what? That has also been announced for a Gamecube release in the run up to Christmas. Another Nintendo exclusive comes in the form of Metroid Prime, yet the adventure elements and the absence of a multi-player makes this game different from the others. Then again there is no question you guys will be getting that anyway… right?

Now unless you have a particular well-paid job or happen to be highly skilled at winning Gameaday then, like me you won’t be getting them all. So which ones or one do you plan on getting? But before you reel off a list maybe you should be mindful of the Adventure titles, which the Gamecube is currently missing out on. Starting a week on Friday the first of many smash hit adventure games are going to be released, and that title is Resident Evil. Capcom’s finest which we know all about (well we should considering ever magazine has reviewed the Japanese, American and European version) will finally be released. Just under a month later and the granddaddy of platforming/adventure games will join the fray and from that point on the Gamecube will be able to stand above the N64. Mario’s first adventure is really what the Gamecube has needed all along and now this incredible Nintendo magic filled adventure will be able to make those Gamecube naysayers eat a large piece of humble pie. Just under a month after that and yet another massive adventure title will be released in the form of Eternal Darkness from Nintendo second party Silicon Knights. Promising a huge adventure with up to 40 hours play time and boasting clever insanity effects this game will be a must buy. Following suit later that month comes Rare’s very first Gamecube title, Starfox Adventures, being dubbed the closest thing to a next gen Zelda without the cute graphics, Starfox promises a lot. It will only be a few weeks later when Nintendo release ANOTHER adventure game, this time starring Wario in his luscious looking world.

Now with all those awesome looking First Person Shooters and amazingly promising Adventure games how do you actually plan to get them all? Rob a bank? Beg Tony? Win the lottery? Naturally you’ll have to cut down but which ones to choose? And you must not forget Nintendo continuing their original streak with Doshin the Giant and those must have multi-player games including Super Monkey Ball 2 and Mario Party 4. So what are YOUR choices for the following four months? But as you make your choices remember this, next years Zelda and possible Perfect Dark sequel will be better anyway.

Here’s to the future.

Dringo.
Wed 04/09/02 at 10:16
Regular
~Resurection~ wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> So Goldeneye wasn't "something different"
>
> it was dull and empty looking.

After all, it only revolutionised the FPS (far more than Halo could ever hope to do), making a strictly PC-Only genre (which the FPS was at the time) work on a console to an extent that it made the state-of-the-art PC ones look shoddy...

Ofcourse, you wouldn't understand, being an anti-Nintendo fanboy and all...
Wed 04/09/02 at 09:55
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Paying for them?? Should be no problem for me after a rather seemingly 'short' summer of working my ar5e off! :D
That is unless of course, I go on a mad spening-spree between now and then loosing every little penny I have in the bank... :S

Very unlikely though. :)

Mario Sunshine is the first of the lot i'm getting - it should arrive on-time as GAD pre-order. :D
As for now, I have all the available GC games I want - all 9 of 'em.

One thing i'm going to try and do this time around is only buy a new game after i've completed a game I already have in that same genre.
Eg: Complete the 2 N64 Zelda games before getting Zelda GC.
Or: Complete Luigi's Mansion (DONE!) before Mario Sunshine.

Otherwise i'll just end-up with an N64-style problem...
Where I have over 20 games but have only completed 5 of them!
Wed 04/09/02 at 03:27
Regular
"Ninty's best friend"
Dringo wrote:
> So Goldeneye wasn't "something different"

it was dull and empty looking.
Mon 02/09/02 at 23:49
Regular
So Goldeneye wasn't "something different"
Mon 02/09/02 at 22:59
Regular
I don't think Metroid will do what Goldeneye did for you either.

It'll do something different.

Which you prefer is down to your opinion.
Mon 02/09/02 at 22:43
Regular
I think Metroid will be better than TS2, with it's unbeatable one player mode and promising multiplayer. The thing is I never was a big fan of the original TimeSplitters - it just didn't do what Goldeneye did for me. Sure, TimeSplitters 2 will be great if you get a few mates round, but what about all the other times? Nah, it's not for me.
Mon 02/09/02 at 22:41
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Nearly every magazine claims that TS2 will be the best FPS ever. And
> they're the only guys who've played it.

They say it about all sorts of games...

It'll be good, but I doubt it can't be bettered by a long shot.
The chances are, I'll probably be getting it anyway.

It depends on GAD wins really, which I'm pretty short on.

Not won in 6 months now, and I have been trying pretty hard too...
Such is life.
Mon 02/09/02 at 15:06
Regular
Money isn't the only thing, (especially with the backlog of games i didn't finish before busting my arm) i'll be struggling to find time between my uni course, part time work, pool and basketball...

Still, if i know i won't be able to play them all, it should at least save me some money :^)
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:18
Regular
"gsybe you!"
For FPS, I think TSP2, Metroid and Die Hard are top for me. For adventure, Mario, Ed and Starfox. Definitely.
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:11
Regular
Nearly every magazine claims that TS2 will be the best FPS ever. And they're the only guys who've played it.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.