GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"The *FIRST* Turok Evolution Reviews!"

The "Xbox Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 01/09/02 at 22:43
Regular
Just so that SR know, I have taken these direct from users on http://www.gamerankings.com/ itemrankings/ itemcomments.asp?itemid=21518 (remove spaces) but I thought everyone would like to read the first reviews of an anticipated game! The feed back though is very mixed! I have only taken 7 reviews but there are plenty more on the site, hope you enjoy reading them!

Review 1:

Here it goes...I am a HUGE Turok fan, back to the days of Dinasaur Hunter. Regardless of all of the negative reactions posted thus far, I went and picked up my copy of Evolution. Again, I am a HUGE Turok fan...
I have not had this bad of an experience with X-Box except with one other game...New Legends. That is how poorly executed this game is. The graphics are shameful (we have all seen the water X-Box is capable of, have we not), the AI is worse (it is hard for me to believe that you can club dinasaurs repeatedly and they do nothing in return but eventually wither and die, and oh I forgot, disappear), you cannot get your enemies weapons, ETC. ETC. ETC. You get the point.

SCORE=3/10

Review 2:

This game is an embarassement to Xbox owners everywhere. I feel cheated. With the heavy promotion that this game received (I guess Acclaim must have spent some big box on advertising!) and the fairly decent previews, I was looking forward to basically a Halo on a Dinosaur Planet. This is not that! The graphics are pitiful, the framerate choppy, the field of view seems really narrow, since lizards and monkeys seem to attack you from just outside of your field of vision, and the story ... what story?

Acclaim, this is a rip off! Next time spend your money on development rather than just advertising. Hopefully others will read this reviews before they go shopping (unlike myself) and save themselves their $50 (+tax)!

Score=3/10

Review 3:

In chapter 3 and 4 Turok really starts to shine and REALLY starts to look better than HALO and play beter than Halo. The enemy AI really kicks in and the sniper scope is fun to play with. All in ALL I am very impressed and I cannot believe how much game I still have left to play. I had very high expectations for Turok Evolution and after playing for many, many hours now, I have to say that I am extremely happy with this game. Definitely a buy for the Xbox.

Score=10/10

Review 4:

I was really looking forward to the new Turok with all kinds of expecations on what they could do with the new graphical power available. I liked the first on on the N64. But since I picked up Turok Evo for the XBox, I have been really disappointed. The story goes totally non-existent in the first stages, there are no set goals like in previous Turoks, the frame rate is really choppy, there are glitches galore, and the controls are clunky. I don't think this game was ready for release yet, and I really wish that Acclaim had devoted more time into optimizing and using the benefits of the Xbox, or respective machines. Remember the water from Halo? It is in one stage. The rest just show up as a blue texture. The water effects suck, Turok 64 was better underwater, or some weird reflective thing that doesnt look at all like water. Glitches? shells from the gun floating, getting stuck between the surface of the water, getting slowed down to a crawl in some spots of the water, shadows going everywhich way across the screen, clipping, blah blah blah.... Sounds? Music is good, weapons? so so, voices? barely understandable at times. Loading times? Yes they are long, and frequent too. Levels are just too short and not as big as Turok 64. Seems like after doing 1 thing, it has to load, and the loading sequence has info relavant to the next chapter, but it just goes on and I cant read it, so I really dont know what to do. Overall, this game needs to go back. Can you say "recall"?

Score=4/10

Review 5:

I just got the game this morning. I can't go into a deep review. But it's not looking too good. The graphics are shallow at best. Not even close to what the Xbox can do. And with the graphics being this simple, it still doesn't hold a decent framerate. The control is right like Halo which is about the only good thing. It's a shame, but this is definately an Acclaim rush job along with average port quality visuals. Oh, and the load times suck too. Avoid this. Try renting it. Like I said, this may be premature. But be cautious.

Score=4/10

Review 6:

Picked up Turok a couple of hours ago and have been playing it almost straight. This game really does the Xbox justice! I am loving the huge environments and the graphics really kick AS*!!! Definitely going to be spending tons of hours killing these dinos and loving every minute of it. I'm glad Monday is a day off! Back to the game boys.

Score=10/10

Review 7:

Just picked it up on August 29th. My first impressions aren't particularly spectacular.
The controls are a little sluggish for me (took horizontal and vertical speed up to 10, I'd go higher if it let me) and there seems to be just a tiny bit of lag when looking around. The flying stages are a little rough.
Graphically: nothing to write home about. Doesn't seem to push my Xbox much at all. It's not ugly per se, but it just doesn't look vary polished. The environments are lush and detailed, and I like the variety of roaming non-hostile creatures.
The sound is unimpressive. Voice overs are of poor sound quality, and the dialog isn't too hot either.
As for the actual gameplay, though, it's not completely all bad. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for running down and knifing things like in Turok 1 for the N64, and I laughed out loud when I got to club the hoard a hoard of hostile baboons to death. Aiming is difficult with the slow controls. Enemy snipers are a complete pain in the wazoo. When you are being sniped, you have no idea where the bullets are comming from. The flight stages...geez, Acclaim...all I have to ask is "Why?" They're not quite rail-based shooters, but they're close enough. For me the game didn't really pick up until I had the ability to do some sniping back. The awesome death scenes and causing enemies to run away in horror after seeing a comrades head neatly removed almost make me overlook the control issues and generally below-average graphics and sound.
Overal, 1-10, I'd go with 6. It ain't no Halo, but it's still a little bit of fun.

Score=5/10

There are quite a few more reviews on ths site but I thought I would Copy the best ones in terms of reception and opinions, the out look at the moment isn't strong, but when someone gives a game 10/10 and then another person gives it 3/10 who are we to trust? We will have to wait for IGN and the major sites to start reviews of this!
Sun 01/09/02 at 22:43
Regular
Just so that SR know, I have taken these direct from users on http://www.gamerankings.com/ itemrankings/ itemcomments.asp?itemid=21518 (remove spaces) but I thought everyone would like to read the first reviews of an anticipated game! The feed back though is very mixed! I have only taken 7 reviews but there are plenty more on the site, hope you enjoy reading them!

Review 1:

Here it goes...I am a HUGE Turok fan, back to the days of Dinasaur Hunter. Regardless of all of the negative reactions posted thus far, I went and picked up my copy of Evolution. Again, I am a HUGE Turok fan...
I have not had this bad of an experience with X-Box except with one other game...New Legends. That is how poorly executed this game is. The graphics are shameful (we have all seen the water X-Box is capable of, have we not), the AI is worse (it is hard for me to believe that you can club dinasaurs repeatedly and they do nothing in return but eventually wither and die, and oh I forgot, disappear), you cannot get your enemies weapons, ETC. ETC. ETC. You get the point.

SCORE=3/10

Review 2:

This game is an embarassement to Xbox owners everywhere. I feel cheated. With the heavy promotion that this game received (I guess Acclaim must have spent some big box on advertising!) and the fairly decent previews, I was looking forward to basically a Halo on a Dinosaur Planet. This is not that! The graphics are pitiful, the framerate choppy, the field of view seems really narrow, since lizards and monkeys seem to attack you from just outside of your field of vision, and the story ... what story?

Acclaim, this is a rip off! Next time spend your money on development rather than just advertising. Hopefully others will read this reviews before they go shopping (unlike myself) and save themselves their $50 (+tax)!

Score=3/10

Review 3:

In chapter 3 and 4 Turok really starts to shine and REALLY starts to look better than HALO and play beter than Halo. The enemy AI really kicks in and the sniper scope is fun to play with. All in ALL I am very impressed and I cannot believe how much game I still have left to play. I had very high expectations for Turok Evolution and after playing for many, many hours now, I have to say that I am extremely happy with this game. Definitely a buy for the Xbox.

Score=10/10

Review 4:

I was really looking forward to the new Turok with all kinds of expecations on what they could do with the new graphical power available. I liked the first on on the N64. But since I picked up Turok Evo for the XBox, I have been really disappointed. The story goes totally non-existent in the first stages, there are no set goals like in previous Turoks, the frame rate is really choppy, there are glitches galore, and the controls are clunky. I don't think this game was ready for release yet, and I really wish that Acclaim had devoted more time into optimizing and using the benefits of the Xbox, or respective machines. Remember the water from Halo? It is in one stage. The rest just show up as a blue texture. The water effects suck, Turok 64 was better underwater, or some weird reflective thing that doesnt look at all like water. Glitches? shells from the gun floating, getting stuck between the surface of the water, getting slowed down to a crawl in some spots of the water, shadows going everywhich way across the screen, clipping, blah blah blah.... Sounds? Music is good, weapons? so so, voices? barely understandable at times. Loading times? Yes they are long, and frequent too. Levels are just too short and not as big as Turok 64. Seems like after doing 1 thing, it has to load, and the loading sequence has info relavant to the next chapter, but it just goes on and I cant read it, so I really dont know what to do. Overall, this game needs to go back. Can you say "recall"?

Score=4/10

Review 5:

I just got the game this morning. I can't go into a deep review. But it's not looking too good. The graphics are shallow at best. Not even close to what the Xbox can do. And with the graphics being this simple, it still doesn't hold a decent framerate. The control is right like Halo which is about the only good thing. It's a shame, but this is definately an Acclaim rush job along with average port quality visuals. Oh, and the load times suck too. Avoid this. Try renting it. Like I said, this may be premature. But be cautious.

Score=4/10

Review 6:

Picked up Turok a couple of hours ago and have been playing it almost straight. This game really does the Xbox justice! I am loving the huge environments and the graphics really kick AS*!!! Definitely going to be spending tons of hours killing these dinos and loving every minute of it. I'm glad Monday is a day off! Back to the game boys.

Score=10/10

Review 7:

Just picked it up on August 29th. My first impressions aren't particularly spectacular.
The controls are a little sluggish for me (took horizontal and vertical speed up to 10, I'd go higher if it let me) and there seems to be just a tiny bit of lag when looking around. The flying stages are a little rough.
Graphically: nothing to write home about. Doesn't seem to push my Xbox much at all. It's not ugly per se, but it just doesn't look vary polished. The environments are lush and detailed, and I like the variety of roaming non-hostile creatures.
The sound is unimpressive. Voice overs are of poor sound quality, and the dialog isn't too hot either.
As for the actual gameplay, though, it's not completely all bad. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for running down and knifing things like in Turok 1 for the N64, and I laughed out loud when I got to club the hoard a hoard of hostile baboons to death. Aiming is difficult with the slow controls. Enemy snipers are a complete pain in the wazoo. When you are being sniped, you have no idea where the bullets are comming from. The flight stages...geez, Acclaim...all I have to ask is "Why?" They're not quite rail-based shooters, but they're close enough. For me the game didn't really pick up until I had the ability to do some sniping back. The awesome death scenes and causing enemies to run away in horror after seeing a comrades head neatly removed almost make me overlook the control issues and generally below-average graphics and sound.
Overal, 1-10, I'd go with 6. It ain't no Halo, but it's still a little bit of fun.

Score=5/10

There are quite a few more reviews on ths site but I thought I would Copy the best ones in terms of reception and opinions, the out look at the moment isn't strong, but when someone gives a game 10/10 and then another person gives it 3/10 who are we to trust? We will have to wait for IGN and the major sites to start reviews of this!
Sun 01/09/02 at 23:11
Regular
Hmmm, a wide spectrum of reviews there.
I'll be buying it on Friday, so I guess the proof will be in the playing.
From the footage I've seen, it looks excellent.
I thought Turok 2 on the N64 was a great game.
I'll let you know what I think at the weekend.
Mon 02/09/02 at 01:35
Regular
Mines coming on release day morning...now I'm slightly worried..

Maybe they did make it on the GC after all, then just ported it to the other consoles, that could explain the choppy framerates as they didn't bother to optimise it properly for the different machine..
Mon 02/09/02 at 10:55
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hmmmmm.......i wanted this, but now not so sure.

However - They are comparing it to Halo, which is not a proper way to review a game - (Halo in my opinion is completely over-hyped)

Anyhoo, there is a lot of negative stuff there.

Not to sure about that one........
Mon 02/09/02 at 10:57
Regular
Then again, in the versions IGN played, the Xbox seemed to have the superior version...

Has anyone found reviews of the GC version yet?
Mon 02/09/02 at 11:52
Regular
"Profit of Doom"
Not yet. Acclaim have obviously put this out in the public-domain before any self-respecting publication could get there hands on it via review copies.

Dubious me thinks. In anycase. Wasn't too impressed with it at ECTS to be honest.
Mon 02/09/02 at 12:22
Regular
They said in NGC tht the framerate needed a lot of attention. Hmm maybe i'll wait for other peoples opinions before rushing out and getting this one.

Hell i've got Timesplitters 2 on order so it's not like i'll be desperate for 1st person shooter action.
Mon 02/09/02 at 13:29
Regular
Worried.

I feel this game might turn out to look like a Shoddy PS2 version, which is totally unsuitable for todays next-gen consoles (Xbox and Gamecube)

I might have to rent it and see.
Mon 02/09/02 at 14:10
Regular
Bah! I pre-ordered this game the other night too...

Perhaps the 27th delay is down to Acclaim ironing out those flaws...
Mon 02/09/02 at 14:14
Regular
Interesting...

All the user-reviews of the Gamecube version are positive.

But then again, the Gamecube reviews aren't quite quite as in-depth as the Xbox ones were, and the Gamecube owners aren't comparing it to Halo...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.