GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Older Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 22/11/00 at 19:55
Regular
What do you think about older gamers? I'm not just talking about OPS's, but over40 year olds too. What games are on offer for them in general?
Okay the odd person of this age may enjoy running round plugging people in the head for no apparent reason, or tearing up the track at +120 MPH, but I don't think any games are directed at them. I'm not saying they are too old too play these games, but they may prefer other games.
I do not see any games that fit this criteria, it's like Grix said, we need something new. Not for us young gamers, for them.
I'm not going to take the mick by saying knitting games etc, just some things they may like. Something that they have to use their brains for, like chess. I know there are chess games, but something like that. The internet offers lots of 'brain power' games, and simple shockwave games that are for more 'mature gamers'. But there are none of these on consoles. Just one compilation of some classic board games or something is a start.
I don't think that the majority of people should stop console gaming at 40, just that they may begin to prefer other types of games. This is a challenge to games companies, who may be dissed a lot if they did this, until people realised hoe popular it is with older people. A whole market awaits for older gamers.

I still wouldn't mind that knitting game..............
Wed 22/11/00 at 19:55
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
What do you think about older gamers? I'm not just talking about OPS's, but over40 year olds too. What games are on offer for them in general?
Okay the odd person of this age may enjoy running round plugging people in the head for no apparent reason, or tearing up the track at +120 MPH, but I don't think any games are directed at them. I'm not saying they are too old too play these games, but they may prefer other games.
I do not see any games that fit this criteria, it's like Grix said, we need something new. Not for us young gamers, for them.
I'm not going to take the mick by saying knitting games etc, just some things they may like. Something that they have to use their brains for, like chess. I know there are chess games, but something like that. The internet offers lots of 'brain power' games, and simple shockwave games that are for more 'mature gamers'. But there are none of these on consoles. Just one compilation of some classic board games or something is a start.
I don't think that the majority of people should stop console gaming at 40, just that they may begin to prefer other types of games. This is a challenge to games companies, who may be dissed a lot if they did this, until people realised hoe popular it is with older people. A whole market awaits for older gamers.

I still wouldn't mind that knitting game..............
Wed 22/11/00 at 20:11
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Over 40's don't have time and are less likely to use a console. Much more likely to use a PC, or play along with their kids on a console.

You may not think so but in my experience motor racing games are very popular in this age group and many can show the younsters a clean pair of heels on these. And they can afford expensive Steering Wheels.

Older people, i.e. much older, have more time but many are technophobes and prefer real activities rather than virtual ones
Wed 22/11/00 at 20:33
My mates Dad is 55 yrs old and he just loves GranTurismo 1 and 2, its great for him..his Dads going to get him a Playstation2 for Christmas just because he wants to play all the new Racing Games. I wouldnt complain!
It doesnt matter what age you are A good game is a good game and deserves to be played whether your 16,21,40,60, or 80 years Old.
Wed 22/11/00 at 20:35
Which illustrates another point, older people have more money to spend buying games. So get your older family members into the action, you wont regret it!
Wed 22/11/00 at 20:54
Regular
When I buy games, I have to make decisions. I have to decide, if the game is worth the money, do I have the PC to run it, and of course, will it last?

My father and I went to a computer show a few years back, and on our way round, we were introduced to the Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Steering wheel, which was yet to be released on the market. The game working with it was Colin Mcrae Rally.

My father played it for a few minutes. He then continued to purchase the game, and the rather expensive steering wheel.

When he brought it home, I was saddened to tell him that our computer was too slow, didn't have enough RAM you see.

The 32MB of RAM arrived the next day.

I suppose older people do have more money to spend, I suppose.
Thu 23/11/00 at 10:57
Regular
"IT'S ALIVE!!"
My dad hates my console and the only reason he uses his PC is to check e-mails and check his internet banking account, real boring, hes quite interested in my new game maker and gave me an idea for a game, but my mates just laughed at him, I would of but he bought it for me.
Thu 23/11/00 at 20:21
I've been called an "older gamer" in school!

I'm only 15!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.