GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Realistic Graphics??"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/08/02 at 16:28
Regular
As the technology gets better and better, so do the in-game graphics. Throughout the year the advancment of technology has now reached the stage where computer graphics are very life like. But the graphics still do "not" come close to reality, but many games developers fail to realise that they should stop "pretending." Especially games involing modeled people. For example the players in sports title like 'Fifa 2002 World Cup.' While in play mode it all looks ok, but as the players celebrate a goal or a victory, I cringe at sight of lifeless, brainless, weird looking characters apperently celebrating. The graphics maybe good but so far from reality which its pretending to be. Beckham, may resemble the real Beckham slightly, but looks more monster like.

Don't get me wrong, realistic graphics work with most games (e.g. Gran Turismo 3 - Fantastic realistic graphics, sometimes hard tell the difference from reality) but not with games involving people. Some games like 'Metal Gear Solid 2' and Quake games can get away with it because the human models are quite stylised with a touch of fantasy in them.

What I'm trying to say is developers should stop pretending untill the technology allows to them model realistic beings which we can relate to. They should rather employ a stylised method of creating characters, e.g. like 'Jet Set Radio' games, Nintendo's Mario, Luigi and Zelda games (hats of to you guys).

-----2Dashing------
Sun 01/09/02 at 11:19
Regular
Nomad Soul wrote:
> I just like stylish graphics which feel alive - whether they're
> realistic or "fantasy" doesn't really matter.
>
> From
> Rez
> to
> Jet Set Radio
> to
> Ico
> to
> Shenmue
> to
> Wreckless
> to
> BLiNX
>
> Stylish and believably alive.

Yeah so do I, as long as they feel alive its ok. But many title don't have this, and the ones you mentioned do. Shenmue looks very realistic, and maybe so do the players performing a victory celebration in Fifa 2002 or Virtua Tennis, but which feel more alive? Good point Nomad.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:24
Regular
I just like stylish graphics which feel alive - whether they're realistic or "fantasy" doesn't really matter.

From
Rez
to
Jet Set Radio
to
Ico
to
Shenmue
to
Wreckless
to
BLiNX

Stylish and believably alive.
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:37
Regular
"no longer El Blokey"
Um, you can't get 'the technology' to allow you to make realistic human models without trying first. I think the models in PES work pretty damned well...heck, most next gen games use good character models.
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:28
Regular
As the technology gets better and better, so do the in-game graphics. Throughout the year the advancment of technology has now reached the stage where computer graphics are very life like. But the graphics still do "not" come close to reality, but many games developers fail to realise that they should stop "pretending." Especially games involing modeled people. For example the players in sports title like 'Fifa 2002 World Cup.' While in play mode it all looks ok, but as the players celebrate a goal or a victory, I cringe at sight of lifeless, brainless, weird looking characters apperently celebrating. The graphics maybe good but so far from reality which its pretending to be. Beckham, may resemble the real Beckham slightly, but looks more monster like.

Don't get me wrong, realistic graphics work with most games (e.g. Gran Turismo 3 - Fantastic realistic graphics, sometimes hard tell the difference from reality) but not with games involving people. Some games like 'Metal Gear Solid 2' and Quake games can get away with it because the human models are quite stylised with a touch of fantasy in them.

What I'm trying to say is developers should stop pretending untill the technology allows to them model realistic beings which we can relate to. They should rather employ a stylised method of creating characters, e.g. like 'Jet Set Radio' games, Nintendo's Mario, Luigi and Zelda games (hats of to you guys).

-----2Dashing------

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.