GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"2002, Year of the Plumber"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/08/02 at 16:21
Regular
Mario was the brainchild of Shigeru Miyamoto, he began life along side co-star Donkey Kong back in 1981 (then he was called Jump man) on the old Arcade and Game and Watch systems, Nintendo created him after failure to achieve the Popeye license. Now how many times have you read something beginning similar that in the last month or so? Yep many a person must have done it on these forums, virtually every Nintendo or multiformat website has done a history to Mario, for Christ’s sake even online shops like Amazon have (resist temptation SR). Now more than ever have I been pumped with information about Mario’s 2 arcade games (Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers), his 3 NES adventures (Super Mario Brothers 1,2,3) and his 2 SNES encounters (Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island), and his single N64 masterpiece (Super Mario 64). Look even I just did it there. I don’t have a real plan for this post all I know is it will be about Mario and it isn’t going to follow the current trend of telling his history, lets see how it goes.

Now what in the world would prompt me and millions of others to write an in depth article about a game character? Well believe it or not, on October 4th we’ll witness another piece of legendary history as Mario stars in a platform adventure for the first time in 6 years. Never before have we had to wait so long for a new Mario game (the distance between the Mario’s World and Yoshi’s Island was 5 years). How many game companies honestly wait so long before releasing a sequel to a game? How many games companies take 6 years to release a sequel to the world’s most renowned games character? Yet why is this such a prestigious occasion, why is the entire gaming industry in a frenzy? It is a very simple answer, because this is Mario and he deserves respect from Nintendo fans and any gaming fan alike.

Mario single handedly and bravely began the platforming genre, he revolutionized racing, he incredibly and daringly starred in the first and still seen as greatest 3D world. His games have created many Nintendo characters and influenced thousands of other games. Yoshi’s Story, Luigi’s Mansion, Wario’s World and Donkey Kong Country are all games that feature characters that began life in a Mario game (Technically Mario began life in a Donkey Kong game but we won’t go there). And of course without Mario there wouldn’t be Sonic, Banjo, Blinx, and Crash etc… he truly has influenced everyone. His closest rival Sonic toppled and fell as Mario’s brilliance proved strong with his ability to adapt and create 3D gaming. Ok enough with the whole Mario rules thing, it won’t be long before he’ll re-appear and history is made once again. Sometimes I wonder if people realize the power this fat Italian plumber has over people, raising Gamecube sales over 110% for starters! Mario isn’t just the headman for Nintendo, he truly leads the entire gaming industry, when you think of games you think of him. So in 6 years we have seen Mario party 3 times, beat people up twice, save the world RPG style once, enter a Tennis Tournament, prove he is better than Tiger woods at golf, repeat three adventures, turn into a Doctor and race against his friends and enemies twice. Now at last he decides to do what he does best, and that is jump.

No other game in the history of games has come close to matching the success and critical acclaim achieved by the portly plumber. In fact the only game that has come even close is Nintendo’s very own Pokémon. And so here we wait for Super Mario Sunshine, the Mario World of 3D platformers and the game that is crammed with so many brilliant new and innovative platforming ideas. 2002, the year of Mario as it will be known because looking back on it we will not believe what a stunning year of Mario and chums we would have experienced. First off we had Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World a re-release of one of the greatest SNES games of all time on the GBA. Soon after the Gamecube launched on May 3rd along with Luigi’s Mansion, starring the mushroom kingdom’s second most famous plumber attempting to save his brother, short but brilliant. On May 24th Mario appeared again with some other familiar colleagues from the Mushroom Kingdom (and other Nintendo games) in Super Smash Brothers: Melee. Come October 4th and the legend that he is will appear again in the long awaited sequel to Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine. Sure enough a game that will set records but it will only be one month later before Mario throws his fourth party on November 29th in Mario Party 4. Come December and we have yet another character who began life in a Mario game, Wario’s World is the 5th game starring Mario’s evil twin and is set for release on December 6th. In the same month Mario will be back again this time in tiny form with you playing as Yoshi. Three platformers, a party game, a beat ‘em up, and 2 adventure titles starring characters from the mushroom kingdom.

2002 is the year of the plumber, Mario and chums are back in 7 new games and the next one to be released is the biggest of them all. Now at least that wasn’t a history lesson.

Dringo.
Mon 02/09/02 at 11:09
"The Will of D."
Isn't it: POP goes the Dreamcast.
Mon 02/09/02 at 11:05
Regular
Goes the Dringo.
Sun 01/09/02 at 23:52
Regular
POP!
Sat 31/08/02 at 23:39
Regular
Asher D wrote:
> Dringo wrote:
> this is Mario and he deserves respect from Nintendo fans and any
> gaming fan alike.
>
>
> There are some who'd go so far to say Nintendo fans and Gaming fans ar
> ethe same thing...

ok poor phrasing you know what i mean, Nintendo fan or any other gaming fan alike.
Sat 31/08/02 at 22:56
Regular
"Festivus!"
brilliant
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:32
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> this is Mario and he deserves respect from Nintendo fans and any gaming > fan alike.

There are some who'd go so far to say Nintendo fans and Gaming fans ar ethe same thing...
Sat 31/08/02 at 16:21
Regular
Mario was the brainchild of Shigeru Miyamoto, he began life along side co-star Donkey Kong back in 1981 (then he was called Jump man) on the old Arcade and Game and Watch systems, Nintendo created him after failure to achieve the Popeye license. Now how many times have you read something beginning similar that in the last month or so? Yep many a person must have done it on these forums, virtually every Nintendo or multiformat website has done a history to Mario, for Christ’s sake even online shops like Amazon have (resist temptation SR). Now more than ever have I been pumped with information about Mario’s 2 arcade games (Donkey Kong and Mario Brothers), his 3 NES adventures (Super Mario Brothers 1,2,3) and his 2 SNES encounters (Super Mario World and Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island), and his single N64 masterpiece (Super Mario 64). Look even I just did it there. I don’t have a real plan for this post all I know is it will be about Mario and it isn’t going to follow the current trend of telling his history, lets see how it goes.

Now what in the world would prompt me and millions of others to write an in depth article about a game character? Well believe it or not, on October 4th we’ll witness another piece of legendary history as Mario stars in a platform adventure for the first time in 6 years. Never before have we had to wait so long for a new Mario game (the distance between the Mario’s World and Yoshi’s Island was 5 years). How many game companies honestly wait so long before releasing a sequel to a game? How many games companies take 6 years to release a sequel to the world’s most renowned games character? Yet why is this such a prestigious occasion, why is the entire gaming industry in a frenzy? It is a very simple answer, because this is Mario and he deserves respect from Nintendo fans and any gaming fan alike.

Mario single handedly and bravely began the platforming genre, he revolutionized racing, he incredibly and daringly starred in the first and still seen as greatest 3D world. His games have created many Nintendo characters and influenced thousands of other games. Yoshi’s Story, Luigi’s Mansion, Wario’s World and Donkey Kong Country are all games that feature characters that began life in a Mario game (Technically Mario began life in a Donkey Kong game but we won’t go there). And of course without Mario there wouldn’t be Sonic, Banjo, Blinx, and Crash etc… he truly has influenced everyone. His closest rival Sonic toppled and fell as Mario’s brilliance proved strong with his ability to adapt and create 3D gaming. Ok enough with the whole Mario rules thing, it won’t be long before he’ll re-appear and history is made once again. Sometimes I wonder if people realize the power this fat Italian plumber has over people, raising Gamecube sales over 110% for starters! Mario isn’t just the headman for Nintendo, he truly leads the entire gaming industry, when you think of games you think of him. So in 6 years we have seen Mario party 3 times, beat people up twice, save the world RPG style once, enter a Tennis Tournament, prove he is better than Tiger woods at golf, repeat three adventures, turn into a Doctor and race against his friends and enemies twice. Now at last he decides to do what he does best, and that is jump.

No other game in the history of games has come close to matching the success and critical acclaim achieved by the portly plumber. In fact the only game that has come even close is Nintendo’s very own Pokémon. And so here we wait for Super Mario Sunshine, the Mario World of 3D platformers and the game that is crammed with so many brilliant new and innovative platforming ideas. 2002, the year of Mario as it will be known because looking back on it we will not believe what a stunning year of Mario and chums we would have experienced. First off we had Super Mario Advance: Super Mario World a re-release of one of the greatest SNES games of all time on the GBA. Soon after the Gamecube launched on May 3rd along with Luigi’s Mansion, starring the mushroom kingdom’s second most famous plumber attempting to save his brother, short but brilliant. On May 24th Mario appeared again with some other familiar colleagues from the Mushroom Kingdom (and other Nintendo games) in Super Smash Brothers: Melee. Come October 4th and the legend that he is will appear again in the long awaited sequel to Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine. Sure enough a game that will set records but it will only be one month later before Mario throws his fourth party on November 29th in Mario Party 4. Come December and we have yet another character who began life in a Mario game, Wario’s World is the 5th game starring Mario’s evil twin and is set for release on December 6th. In the same month Mario will be back again this time in tiny form with you playing as Yoshi. Three platformers, a party game, a beat ‘em up, and 2 adventure titles starring characters from the mushroom kingdom.

2002 is the year of the plumber, Mario and chums are back in 7 new games and the next one to be released is the biggest of them all. Now at least that wasn’t a history lesson.

Dringo.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Excellent support service!
I have always found the support staff to provide an excellent service on every occasion I've called.
Ben

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.