GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Teamwork In Games"

The "Sony Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/08/02 at 22:10
Regular
It doesn't really exist at the moment does it? It's appeared once or twice here and there, now and again. It's come into a game while playing a single player game the most, in games like MGS2. You as Raiden team up with Snake and what makes it really feel like your working as a team is you can actually see Snake helping at some parts of the game, i.e. when you meet him for the second time and you can glimpse him Sneak across the bridge under a cardboard box, and at the end -My favourite part of the game. Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of any other game where you team up and actually see them helping you, not just giving you information and directions that is out yet.

Developers have already tried to add teamwork to there game’s by letting you control two characters separately at different times. Dino Crisis 2 is a great example. You start out as Dylan, then a little later you get trapped and then have to swap characters to Regina and rescue yourself. But you never see them together apart from in cut-scenes. Then when they finish the other character has gone, even communicating with the other character is impossible except in cut-scenes. I know this is a PSone game but it was still another wasted opportunity.

Soon Conflict: Desert Storm will allow you to take control of four people simultaneously as a team but when they are not under your control they still help the man in your control and don’t turn stiff. What makes this game even better is the fact that you can go through the whole game in a 2 player mode! Each player has two men to control. So you can work together e.g. One man provides heavy fire from a high position as well as a Sniper while the other two get in, do the job, and get out. This is much more fun than playing by yourself or swapping pads.
I think adding this element to a game adds to the fun and enjoyment. It would also add to multiplayer quality aswell. I just wish more games would be like this. One game that I think could be good with this ability is TombRaider. The new playable character in Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness has just been told of. But I hope you get to see him and Lara on that screen at the same time while playing, working together at some points of the game. Or even include an i-link option where another player can play as the new dude (or split screen, but I think that will be no where near as good), which I know is not going to happen, would have been fun though.

This idea of team play has been wasted by game designers for too long. It is so simple and yet so many games fail to include it. Developers would not even need to make any major changes like they would have to if making a multiplayer death match mode but just add the element of split screen and another character in single player modes. This is especially easily done with the power of today’s next-gen machines.

In some games though, a teamwork element already exists in some games without developers needing to add it. In games such as TOCA and other racing titles. Two players can work together to work their way through a pack of cars with tactics, i.e. one car blocks some other cars so player can pass them.

But I guess in some games it's just better to do things by yourself. The Silent hill games would be no where near as scary if there was another character there with you, helping you. So I think it would be best to leave these kinds of games alone for now...

SD
Sat 31/08/02 at 13:42
Regular
"WWJD"
Yeah i want to see more multiplayin team working games me and my friend used to have loads of fun on co-operating games but there doesn't seem to be many around now, what Desert storm about then? it sounds quite good
Sat 31/08/02 at 12:22
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Timesplitters 2 i think has got a co-operative mdoe in it which should be good as one person can go off to complete the objective and the other can snipe off any enemies his mate hasn't spotted. Or like i usually do wait til my mate has done all the hard stuff wait for the monsters i was supposed to kill, kill him and then i get the objective and complete the level and i'm the hero, hurrah!!!!

anyway good post lol
Sat 31/08/02 at 11:04
Regular
One of the most enjoyable things in games i believe. Best example i can think of is where you team up with Snake towards the end of MGS2 as Raiden and shoot them Ninja Guards. I have got a separate save of that so i can play it again and again. Pure genius.

The blocking off another car already happens, like in Toca Race Driver. I'd like to see it used in Formula one games though.

Good Post btw Smilin Demon.
Sat 31/08/02 at 10:39
Regular
"  "
Team work is excellent to an extent in games. In single player games, pants AI can ruin the experiance and also give you less sense of achievement. I think however, once the PS2 goes online games will become more team based. For example, most games like SOCOM and Auto Model Lista will have the option to play team based online. This, for me, adds a whole new factor to gaming. #

Good post. :)
Sat 31/08/02 at 07:56
"For the horde!!!!"
Half life as a game option called DECAY where two players can team up and lay them alien critters to rest, i havn't played it with two players myself thou.

Dynasty warriors 3 as a two player mode where two players can team up or fight against each other in the same battle. i havn't playerd the 3rd game but thats what i have read. Shame the 2nd didn't have a 2 player option.
Fri 30/08/02 at 22:40
Regular
Quinty wrote:

> Good post (Y)

Thanks. Wow! Thats the best reply I've got for a topic ( yes the rest of it too, not just the "Good post" bit) I've written and put on here ever!
:-)

And I spose it might be a bit to too easy for two players to go through a game than it would for one.

I think tonight I'll play the Conflict: Desert Storm demo and see if the other guy will plant the explosives by himself if I leave him on the bridge with it.

It would be good if in racing games other teams worked together, like they do for real in Formula 1.
Fri 30/08/02 at 22:26
Regular
Smiling Demon wrote:
> It doesn't really exist at the moment does it?

On Perfect Dark i believe you can go around in a two player mode.

>
> Soon Conflict: Desert Storm will allow you to take control of four
> people simultaneously as a team but when they are not under your
> control they still help the man in your control and don’t turn stiff.
> What makes this game even better is the fact that you can go through
> the whole game in a 2 player mode! Each player has two men to control.
> So you can work together e.g. One man provides heavy fire from a high
> position as well as a Sniper while the other two get in, do the job,
> and get out. This is much more fun than playing by yourself or
> swapping pads.

Yep, but in order to do this, you bark out orders to your man, making you feel like "The main man". In fact this is the only element in Conflict Desert strom that actually attracts me to the game itself.

> This idea of team play has been wasted by game designers for too long.
> It is so simple and yet so many games fail to include it.

True, but there is a distinct difference between doing a teamwork mission in a Multiplayer. It's simple to provide the player with a two payer experience in the multiplayer mode, but it's much harder when it's in the one player mode, and your working with the CPU players. That's where the developers will have to enhance the A.I. I think i'll wait to see how Conflict desert Storm deals with this.

> In some games though, a teamwork element already exists in some games
> without developers needing to add it. In games such as TOCA and other
> racing titles. Two players can work together to work their way through
> a pack of cars with tactics, i.e. one car blocks some other cars so
> player can pass them.

Yeah, if i was developing a racing car game, i'd probably think along the lines of working with your Co-team driver I.E communicate with each other while your racing, and work for each other. But as it stands in Toca, your actually an arch enemy to your co-driver (Nick Landers)

Good post (Y)
Fri 30/08/02 at 22:10
Regular
It doesn't really exist at the moment does it? It's appeared once or twice here and there, now and again. It's come into a game while playing a single player game the most, in games like MGS2. You as Raiden team up with Snake and what makes it really feel like your working as a team is you can actually see Snake helping at some parts of the game, i.e. when you meet him for the second time and you can glimpse him Sneak across the bridge under a cardboard box, and at the end -My favourite part of the game. Actually, come to think of it, I can't think of any other game where you team up and actually see them helping you, not just giving you information and directions that is out yet.

Developers have already tried to add teamwork to there game’s by letting you control two characters separately at different times. Dino Crisis 2 is a great example. You start out as Dylan, then a little later you get trapped and then have to swap characters to Regina and rescue yourself. But you never see them together apart from in cut-scenes. Then when they finish the other character has gone, even communicating with the other character is impossible except in cut-scenes. I know this is a PSone game but it was still another wasted opportunity.

Soon Conflict: Desert Storm will allow you to take control of four people simultaneously as a team but when they are not under your control they still help the man in your control and don’t turn stiff. What makes this game even better is the fact that you can go through the whole game in a 2 player mode! Each player has two men to control. So you can work together e.g. One man provides heavy fire from a high position as well as a Sniper while the other two get in, do the job, and get out. This is much more fun than playing by yourself or swapping pads.
I think adding this element to a game adds to the fun and enjoyment. It would also add to multiplayer quality aswell. I just wish more games would be like this. One game that I think could be good with this ability is TombRaider. The new playable character in Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness has just been told of. But I hope you get to see him and Lara on that screen at the same time while playing, working together at some points of the game. Or even include an i-link option where another player can play as the new dude (or split screen, but I think that will be no where near as good), which I know is not going to happen, would have been fun though.

This idea of team play has been wasted by game designers for too long. It is so simple and yet so many games fail to include it. Developers would not even need to make any major changes like they would have to if making a multiplayer death match mode but just add the element of split screen and another character in single player modes. This is especially easily done with the power of today’s next-gen machines.

In some games though, a teamwork element already exists in some games without developers needing to add it. In games such as TOCA and other racing titles. Two players can work together to work their way through a pack of cars with tactics, i.e. one car blocks some other cars so player can pass them.

But I guess in some games it's just better to do things by yourself. The Silent hill games would be no where near as scary if there was another character there with you, helping you. So I think it would be best to leave these kinds of games alone for now...

SD

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.