GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"(Film) Hancock"

The "Retro Game Reviews" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 02/07/08 at 19:14
Regular
Okay, this is my first review post, and the first time i've written a review since A level English. So forgive me if it's no good. :)

Right, Hancock. Essentially it's a super hero movie, but, this one has broken the mould that standard super hero movies come out of.
The film stars Will Smith as Hancock, the much hated super hero with drinking problems. Yes, i said 'hated' and 'drinking problems'. He lives in LA and on a day to day basis he will go about using his powers to 'help' people, only the people would rather he didn't. Every time Hancock turns up there is always massive amounts of damage done to the surrounding area and at conciderable cost to the government.

People never give him thanks for helping them until one day he saves a man from a certain and horrible death. This man is called Ray and he is a failing PR Executive played by Jason Bateman, Ray suddenly sees an opportunity and invites him back to his lovely home for dinner where Hancock meets Ray's son and wife. The wife is played by Charlize Theron who is immediatly suspicious of her husbands new choice of friend. From here Ray tries to get Hancock to use his powers in a more sensible manner and to get him back on the rails after so many years of being off them, he does this with some success but it's not too long until his bad ways come back to him.

This film is full of action with an awful lot of laughs included. A lot of the humour comes from Hancock's immaturity, total disregard of the surroundings around him, and the way he uses his powers to try and do good things.
Thanks to Will Smith's great acting this film is a pleasure to watch and because of his acting you really feel like you get to know Hancock and you feel more involved as he sucks you into the plot.
Along with the acting and humour the special effects in this film really bring it all together, the CGI that they do use blends superbly with the real life footage, and the stunts are as always taken to the limit.
The only thing that lets this film down a little bit is the language. I don't mind swearing in a film, but only when it is appropriately graded. I feel the swearing in this film should have made it be a 15 certicicate and not a 12A.

However, when i first saw the trailer for the film i thought to myself that i would have to go see it because it looks so good. I was worried that my high expectation of it would actually dampen the film, but, it didn't. It has been a long time since i've heard the whole cinema roaring with laughter, but Hancock managed it. This film is brilliant in all ways and i would thoroughly recommend it to all.

8/10
Fri 11/07/08 at 18:30
Regular
"I like turtles"
Stupid Pixie wrote:
> thank you both. :) i'm thinking of doing a review for The
> Forbidden Kingdom. I saw that in the week and i wasn't too
> impressed by it, especially seeing as Jet Li's first words could
> have come out of Mr T's mouth. "Shut up fool!" Even had
> the accent right as well...

I really liked Forbidden Kingdom,thought it was great fun.Saying that I thought Indiana Jones 4 was useless yet some people loved it.Be boring if we all liked the same.
Fri 11/07/08 at 10:10
Regular
thank you both. :) i'm thinking of doing a review for The Forbidden Kingdom. I saw that in the week and i wasn't too impressed by it, especially seeing as Jet Li's first words could have come out of Mr T's mouth. "Shut up fool!" Even had the accent right as well...
Thu 10/07/08 at 19:08
"possibly impossible"
Yep, well done with the GAD.
Thu 10/07/08 at 16:00
Regular
"I like turtles"
Well done on the GAD mate !.
Thu 03/07/08 at 11:31
"possibly impossible"
I think we're going to see more of these type of films after Watchmen becomes popular. It's not a new idea for comics, but it's interesting to see that the film companies are now using these stories.

A good review, though. Hope you win a GAD for your first one!
Thu 03/07/08 at 11:06
Regular
Thanks pete. :) Um, I didn't think it dragged, quite the opposite in fact. I didn't put it in the review but the end is a bit of a let down because i feel it is too sudden. One minute he's bad the next he's good, then it's over. I think he could have done more good things before the end of the film, it would have made it even better. But i still stick to my guns and say it is a fantastic film. Well worth the money. :)

( But the cinema snacks aren't. £7 for a regular sweet popcorn and a large Coke!! I smell a rip off :-] )
Wed 02/07/08 at 19:39
Regular
"I like turtles"
Quite fancy this myself,will make an effort to catch it.Nice review mate.
Wed 02/07/08 at 19:22
Regular
"Mooching around"
I've heard the last half hour is a real drag, any comment on that?
Wed 02/07/08 at 19:14
Regular
Okay, this is my first review post, and the first time i've written a review since A level English. So forgive me if it's no good. :)

Right, Hancock. Essentially it's a super hero movie, but, this one has broken the mould that standard super hero movies come out of.
The film stars Will Smith as Hancock, the much hated super hero with drinking problems. Yes, i said 'hated' and 'drinking problems'. He lives in LA and on a day to day basis he will go about using his powers to 'help' people, only the people would rather he didn't. Every time Hancock turns up there is always massive amounts of damage done to the surrounding area and at conciderable cost to the government.

People never give him thanks for helping them until one day he saves a man from a certain and horrible death. This man is called Ray and he is a failing PR Executive played by Jason Bateman, Ray suddenly sees an opportunity and invites him back to his lovely home for dinner where Hancock meets Ray's son and wife. The wife is played by Charlize Theron who is immediatly suspicious of her husbands new choice of friend. From here Ray tries to get Hancock to use his powers in a more sensible manner and to get him back on the rails after so many years of being off them, he does this with some success but it's not too long until his bad ways come back to him.

This film is full of action with an awful lot of laughs included. A lot of the humour comes from Hancock's immaturity, total disregard of the surroundings around him, and the way he uses his powers to try and do good things.
Thanks to Will Smith's great acting this film is a pleasure to watch and because of his acting you really feel like you get to know Hancock and you feel more involved as he sucks you into the plot.
Along with the acting and humour the special effects in this film really bring it all together, the CGI that they do use blends superbly with the real life footage, and the stunts are as always taken to the limit.
The only thing that lets this film down a little bit is the language. I don't mind swearing in a film, but only when it is appropriately graded. I feel the swearing in this film should have made it be a 15 certicicate and not a 12A.

However, when i first saw the trailer for the film i thought to myself that i would have to go see it because it looks so good. I was worried that my high expectation of it would actually dampen the film, but, it didn't. It has been a long time since i've heard the whole cinema roaring with laughter, but Hancock managed it. This film is brilliant in all ways and i would thoroughly recommend it to all.

8/10

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.