GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games against Movies."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 30/08/02 at 18:57
Regular
I would estimate that the majority of people in here like movies, some more than others, but then again we all like game son here, so which one would get your vote?

If we look at movies then we have a few hours(mainly) of being imerged in a story line, if it is any good, and we find ourselves sitting down not interacting but watching something completely fake but can sometimes feel it is real! I think there is not much better than going to the cinema to see a movie you are really eager to see, lik Lord of the Rings. Most poeple wanted it and most people loved it, now many poeple own it on VHS or DVD.
So most of us do like movies but then when we really look forward to a movie and get let down but somehting less than par we find ourselves we have paid x amount out to see a load of pants basically. Then a game can be a big let down and if you are not captivated straight away and put it to the botom of your pile, you have forked out over £30 normally for a disc to sit in a pile with others(unless you can refund it)

With games we normally get a lot more length as some games can be hours long, and the time flies whilst you are playing them. Still following the storyline on most games but this time you get to interact with the charactres and make some decisions as what goes on. Again, like with movies we all have a game we can't wait to get your hands on, but we can also anticipate too much and be let down.

Games like movies are hyped, Mario Sunshine has been hyped but a few of us will have actually played it, so what are we relying on, pictures, what strangers say? The same goes with movies, they come out here later than in America and we have to rely on reviews or get a multi regional piece of equipment and get the DVD before it comes out here. When the games/movies finally make it into our fine little country after what seems to be forever as every one else is ranting and raving about it, it doesn't always meet our expectations, we all have our own opinions on what it will be like but games/movies are sometimes a let down which is then a waste of money.

Movies are turned into games and games are turned into movies, but do people like this conversions? I personally enjoy watching a film on a game i have played or seen ( Resident evil) but when a game is made form a movie it is normally a let down to the movie it's self. But others do the movie justice and are incredibly fun to play.

But in your mind which one is the most important to you, or can one not exsist without the other? Think of the plot to some movies, they resemble some games and visa versa.

I think that they can exsist without each other but i for one would not like one to go away and i could not decide bewtwwen two.

That is why i normally opt for RPG's as you have the storyline like a movie. So does the genre of game you play help determin your favourite movie genre?

I think it does as i like amovie wih an in depth plot and that is how i like my games!

What about you?

Sir Auron
Sat 31/08/02 at 01:12
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
i would choose games because of the fact i can play my games without having the Brixton *massive* or whatever kicking the back of my chair and chucking popcorn at me.
Of course you could get your mates to throw popcorn at you and hurl abuse at you and your girlfriend in your room to create that authentic movie going experience
Fri 30/08/02 at 23:31
Regular
"$hit happens"
Well there are exceptions as you said Goldeneye, i to think that LOTR will be great, game aswell as movie but some are not all that good.

But looking the other way around
FF movie was ok, i liked it but not my favourite one!
Tomb Raider, only saw because of Agelina : )
Resident Evil, good movie, annoying ending, could have been better!

So it works both ways around!
Fri 30/08/02 at 23:25
Regular
"Digging!"
Games I would go for. And I would agree that most games made from films are letdowns (bar goldeneye, of course).
Fri 30/08/02 at 23:19
Regular
"$hit happens"
Nah, ain't much better than laying down in bed playing a good RPG with a drnk n lots of food!
: )
Fri 30/08/02 at 22:17
Popcorn and Dead or Alive 2.
Fri 30/08/02 at 22:16
Regular
"aka 'SLIM'"
He posted it in both so more people would hopefully read it!

Very intersting post Marc, i Personally would go for games as they have a better replay value then Films!
Fri 30/08/02 at 20:09
"The Will of D."
Hey Sir Auron why did you put this topic in both FOG's sites?
When are you getting back to the wrestling tournament? Isaac is ready to kick some evil buttuok's.
Fri 30/08/02 at 19:12
Regular
If it came to a choice between the two I'd choose games.
Fri 30/08/02 at 18:57
Regular
"$hit happens"
I would estimate that the majority of people in here like movies, some more than others, but then again we all like game son here, so which one would get your vote?

If we look at movies then we have a few hours(mainly) of being imerged in a story line, if it is any good, and we find ourselves sitting down not interacting but watching something completely fake but can sometimes feel it is real! I think there is not much better than going to the cinema to see a movie you are really eager to see, lik Lord of the Rings. Most poeple wanted it and most people loved it, now many poeple own it on VHS or DVD.
So most of us do like movies but then when we really look forward to a movie and get let down but somehting less than par we find ourselves we have paid x amount out to see a load of pants basically. Then a game can be a big let down and if you are not captivated straight away and put it to the botom of your pile, you have forked out over £30 normally for a disc to sit in a pile with others(unless you can refund it)

With games we normally get a lot more length as some games can be hours long, and the time flies whilst you are playing them. Still following the storyline on most games but this time you get to interact with the charactres and make some decisions as what goes on. Again, like with movies we all have a game we can't wait to get your hands on, but we can also anticipate too much and be let down.

Games like movies are hyped, Mario Sunshine has been hyped but a few of us will have actually played it, so what are we relying on, pictures, what strangers say? The same goes with movies, they come out here later than in America and we have to rely on reviews or get a multi regional piece of equipment and get the DVD before it comes out here. When the games/movies finally make it into our fine little country after what seems to be forever as every one else is ranting and raving about it, it doesn't always meet our expectations, we all have our own opinions on what it will be like but games/movies are sometimes a let down which is then a waste of money.

Movies are turned into games and games are turned into movies, but do people like this conversions? I personally enjoy watching a film on a game i have played or seen ( Resident evil) but when a game is made form a movie it is normally a let down to the movie it's self. But others do the movie justice and are incredibly fun to play.

But in your mind which one is the most important to you, or can one not exsist without the other? Think of the plot to some movies, they resemble some games and visa versa.

I think that they can exsist without each other but i for one would not like one to go away and i could not decide bewtwwen two.

That is why i normally opt for RPG's as you have the storyline like a movie. So does the genre of game you play help determin your favourite movie genre?

I think it does as i like amovie wih an in depth plot and that is how i like my games!

What about you?

Sir Auron

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.